How do I deal with cue with too forward balance?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, I received two new shafts that were built generally to the same specs, but one was a half ounce heavier. I asked if the shaft was weighted and it was, immediately inside the joint insert closer to the ferrule. The cuemaker drilled out the weight and nearly matched the weight of the other shaft. I don't know if Tad adds weight to his shafts, but it might be worth investigating.

The other option was already mentioned, which is to buy a lighter shaft. I agree with other previous advice to avoid substantially changing the cue.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lighter shaft and lead tape.

What's your other cue that's getting refinished?

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to several cue makers, most suggested me to use lead tape or drill a hole to insert screw.

But one cue maker told me to try inserting steel flat washer into the bumper, since the bumper is a screw on. and that will add weight to it and does not devalue the cue. Imma try it first and see how it goes.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sell the cue to someone who appreciates the feel of your Tad cue and buy a cue that is more to your liking.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
smart cue maker!

Well thanks for the feedback guys. I talked to several cue makers, most suggested me to use lead tape or drill a hole to insert screw.

But one cue maker told me to try inserting steel flat washer into the bumper, since the bumper is a screw on. and that will add weight to it and does not devalue the cue. Imma try it first and see how it goes.

Damn, that there is one more smart cue maker!!

you might want to try that.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... My main cue weighs about 19.2, with 19-19.5" balance point....
But this cue weights about 18.8-19.1oz with 21-21.5" balance point.
... I'm 5"6-5"7 tall. ...
How long is your cue? The balance point measured from the bumper means little if your cue is not the standard 57 inches long.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Shorten your bridge and maybe even move your backhand further up on the wrap. Probably not the solution you are looking for though as it would require a lot of learning and adjustment in your shooting.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
first make sure it is weight forward. measure up from the end of the butt wood and see if the balance point is more than one third of the way forward.
many great players have liked it a little maybe an inch weight forward.

moving a little closer to the cue ball with your stance will help and you may like that better.

or if you cant stand it send it to a cuemaker that does work in two weeks and returns your cue.

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
This change in weight and balance point would result in about a 10% increase in the weight on your bridge hand.

Does this really makes a difference, or are you telling yourself that it does?

Is it really the balance point, or is it maybe the natural pivot point that is making the difference?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This change in weight and balance point would result in about a 10% increase in the weight on your bridge hand.

Does this really makes a difference, or are you telling yourself that it does?

Is it really the balance point, or is it maybe the natural pivot point that is making the difference?

Huh?:confused: how is the 10% calculated?

Aren't there too many unknowns to extrapolate a #?

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Estimated, not calculated, based on a few assumptions.
This is a simple statics problem.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Huh?:confused: how is the 10% calculated?

Aren't there too many unknowns to extrapolate a #?
If the player is holding the stick 15 inches behind the balance point and the bridge is 36 inches in front of the grip hand (at impact), and the stick weighs 20 ounces, you have a force down on the bridge hand of 20*15/36 = 8.33 ounces.

If you change the balance point and nothing else by moving it forward by two inches, the new force down on the bridge hand is 20*17/36 = 9.44. That would be an increase of 13%. (This percentage change is independent of the stick weight if that weight doesn't change between the two cases.)

Just plug in the numbers for the case you want to try if my example doesn't fit close enough.

Netilis

Play with it 4 hours per day for 6 months, you'll get used to it. There apparently is no magic formula for you. Where you place your hands is based upon your desired bridge length and having your forearm being vertical at address on your stroking arm. You wouldn't adjust that due to balance point. If that's what you want to do, shorten your bridge by half and move your backhand forward a few inches. That would certainly change the balance feel.

Totally agree with you! 🙌🙌🙌

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

I recently had to play with a different cue because I sent my main cue for refinish. Cue imo, hits spectacular but I could barely play with it due to the dense shaft.

My main cue weighs about 19.2, with 19-19.5" balance point.

But this cue weights about 18.8-19.1oz with 21-21.5" balance point.

I'm just seeking for experts/pros, if anyone knows how to get used to the cue faster. Or where I should hold the cue to get good balance. Because I get tired easily playing this cue, cause balance is too forward, it feels pretty heavy.

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim

Speaking for myself-hopefully this will give you some insight or help.

For me, I’m very sensitive to cues, meaning I can’t make a cue work if it doesn’t work right out of the gate. I can tell in 10-15 minutes if a cue will work for me. I don’t adjust well to cues.

The balance point on a cue is more important than the weight for me.

So my point is some guys can adjust to a lot more cues than I can. Some guys can play with anything. I’m the dead opposite-I’d rather be the guy who can play with anything.

If you can adapt you’ll know it after a week or 2. If you can’t and the ass heavy cue still feels ass heavy and your not playing well. Pick a different cue. If you can adjust after enough play-happy days problem solved.

Point is don’t sweat the cue. Look at yourself and what’s working and what isn’t. Then adjust.

Good luck
Fatboy

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reposition you’re hand gripping the cue.
Wherever you held it before, move up.
Try moving your hand up a inch at a time.
You will locate a spot where it feels right.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is 5 years old, so hopefully he has his main cue back from the refinisher by now.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thread could be a decade old but it’s still true that repositioning
your grip changes the pendulum feel and overall stroking sensation.