Palmer (2nd Catalog Model D?) I picked up tonight.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shoot with a Jensen(pictured alongside the Palmer below), but I've been looking for a Titlist conversion off and on for some time.

I was at Q-Master earlier tonight and came across this. It was priced too reasonably to pass on. It came from a good blank. The points are almost dead even and very sharp.

The seller was the original owner. Apparently the cue sat in a closet for 26 years. When removed, he found that the original shaft had warped. He had the cue refinished and a new shaft made by Dave Bollman.

The joint collar on the shaft isn't perfect- the color is right, but it's more swirly and figured than the original collar. There are also a couple areas on the forearm(seen in my photos) that are a little darker than the rest, but they only show up when viewed from the perfect angle in the right lighting. They're nowhere near as apparent in person. Most people wouldn't notice.

I ran a few racks with it earlier and it's definitely a solid player. Rolls straight together and apart with just a tiny bit of taper roll. My only complaint is that the tip is too thick for my taste and it doesn't have the same pin as my Jensen, so I can't use any of my other shafts. Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or trade it yet.

16886637576_6a0da10b4e_c.jpg

16290169744_eecece933d_c.jpg

16911541071_50fac30ec7_c.jpg

16886644576_a159eeb30f_c.jpg

16911297832_79f7cfbedf_c.jpg

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same cue as this one and sold it for $65 with a nice case in 1980.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch! It's like vintage guitars in the 80s. You could find 60s Fender Jaguars and Jazzmasters all day in pawn shops for a couple hundred dollars. People were smashing them, modding them, whatever. Now they're worth a few thousand.

By the way, does anyone have any idea what this cue should be worth? I know the earlier Palmers are collectible, but have no idea of the sale/trade value of this cue in this condition.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a couple of those over the years and IMO, it is one of the best Palmers. I will look again, but I prefer them with no name, just Palmer in the gold foil.

It probably is medium popularity new, as I suggest the lowest cost models sold the most.

Seems like these sell for around $7-800 in that condition with one shaft. That might be a tad high but that's where I would start if I wanted to sell it.

The bumper is wrong, but overall it is nice cue and I would like to have it myself.

I wish you the best of rolls my friend,

Ken

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information, Ken. I'm much more comfortable with my purchase now.

I was under the impression that most of the second catalog Palmers didn't come with bumpers, and people just stuck non-Palmer bumpers in the existing hole in the bottom of the butt cap.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The foil on the one that I had was blank.
No name or Palmer on it.
Never figured that out.
Awhile back I saw these cues selling for $1000 to $1200.
I guess price just depends on how bad someone would want it.
Back in 1980 it was just an old cue.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine has just the "Original by Palmer". Really glad it doesn't have a personalized foil.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the information, Ken. I'm much more comfortable with my purchase now.

I was under the impression that most of the second catalog Palmers didn't come with bumpers, and people just stuck non-Palmer bumpers in the existing hole in the bottom of the butt cap.

Mine had a similar bumper on it and I got the correct one from TATE.

It is flat bottomed.

I'll look to see if I can find a picture.

Ken

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats on your new acquisition. It looks like a nice example.

The Model D from the Second Catalog is a nice cue. They were reportedly a popular model and I would tend to agree with that since I see quite a number of them.

Regarding bumpers, Second Catalog cues were originally produced without a bumper but later in production bumpers were supplied.

Correct bumpers for Second Catalog cues are like those shown in the attached picture. The black Model B is one which I bought new and is unrestored. The bumper is original and has never been replaced. The bumper on the Model A was a modern flat bottom bumper which I profiled to approximate an original.

I have an opposite opinion on personalized foils. I wish every one of my Palmers was personalized. It gives some history and traceability to the cue.

Enjoy your cue.........

Attachments

• P9040071.jpg
    P9040071.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very nice cue. The only thing to add to the second catalog history here is that the Model C was probably the only one to not get a bumper from the factory. It was the "Rambow Tribute" of the time, hence, no bumper. As far as I know, the others did get a bumper eventually.

Attachments

• DSCN0354.jpg
    DSCN0354.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 571
  • DSCN0361.jpg
    DSCN0361.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 573

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for all the information!

Type 71: That bumper you reprofiled looks really good.

I'm sad to say that although I really like the cue, I don't think I'll ever bond with it. It's too heavy for me(20.3oz). It's probably going to end up being traded.

Here are a few more pictures.

IMG_2555_zps4pe34ot7.jpg
IMG_2565_zps5wwpbrat.jpg
IMG_2557_zps9ukyrdj0.jpg

IMG_2560_zpsh2atbry8.jpg

IMG_2569_zps1cimobbn.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for all the information!

Type 71: That bumper you reprofiled looks really good.

I'm sad to say that although I really like the cue, I don't think I'll ever bond with it. It's too heavy for me(20.3oz). It's probably going to end up being traded.

Here are a few more pictures.

You know, you can switch the weight bolt for a lighter one, or even cut the existing one down to lighten the weight. This assumes there is a weight bolt in there.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know, you can switch the weight bolt for a lighter one, or even cut the existing one down to lighten the weight. This assumes there is a weight bolt in there.

Or, replace it with an aluminum weight bolt which for all intents and purposes weighs nothing.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was the first thing I considered, but I took the bolt out and it only weighs 0.6oz. I could probably save a couple more tenths by having a spare shaft retapered down to about 11.6mm(wouldn't do it to the custom Bollman shaft). Still probably won't get me as light as I want to be, but I may do it anyway to try it out.

Last edited:

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An aluminum bolt in 5/16-18 proved impossible to find, so I made one for it. Probably shaved off a little over .4oz.

On top of that, I found an old 5/16-18 shaft with an 11.75mm tip that weighs only 3.2oz. It's not pretty, but it's the shooting shaft, not the showing shaft.

Almost an entire ounce lighter than before. I shot with it last night and actually really like the way it hits.