What pool cue to own if you just wanted to impress...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a nod to Ken from this thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=395497 since that got me thinking about why you'd pick one over another.

What if you just wanted to pick a cue for your ego to get a cue that would impress others the most?

Link pics if you have a cue in mind to show off to these:

Your Wife - here, I would pick a plain cue that plays great but was in budget, say a sneaky or a plain Jane from a good maker to show that it was cheap LOL

Bar Players (for sake of argument, those people that heard of the Black Widow and Fats but jump by scooping under the ball and think it's OK to move the cueball off the rail the width of a cue)

Average Pool room players (Those that may play in a tournament but may not know the rules like push out in 9 ball or what a "lag" is)

A and B Players

Pro Players

Cue Collector

Non-pool players

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a nod to Ken from this thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=395497 since that got me thinking about why you'd pick one over another.

What if you just wanted to pick a cue for your ego to get a cue that would impress others the most?

Link pics if you have a cue in mind to show off to these:

Your Wife - here, I would pick a plain cue that plays great but was in budget, say a sneaky or a plain Jane from a good maker to show that it was cheap LOL

Bar Players (for sake of argument, those people that heard of the Black Widow and Fats but jump by scooping under the ball and think it's OK to move the cueball off the rail the width of a cue)

Average Pool room players (Those that may play in a tournament but may not know the rules like push out in 9 ball or what a "lag" is)

A and B Players

Pro Players

Cue Collector

Non-pool players

I does not really matter. The average person could not tell a Szamboti from a cuetec or a cheap import with a zillion fake decal inlays. Actually they would probably like the cheap import that is the fanciest.

Here you go guaranteed to impress

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2011/290645760146.jpg

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
It's been my observation that Pro's are somewhat (more) indifferent to cues than the non-pro population.
How many shoot with whatever cue manufacturer will give them the best endorsement deal? Most can play equally well with a straight house cue.

The cue that impresses me the most, and I couldn't be any farther removed from a pro than Pluto, is any Tim Scruggs cue. -S

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cue when it's done. Btw what wrap you you guys suggest

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 878

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only impressed by how a person plays with a cue. Not how it looks or how much it costs.

If I see you running racks with a house cue I am IMPRESSED.

If I see you banging with a Szamboti, I'm not IMPRESSED.

Banks

Banned
Black Boar is one maker that consistently impresses me with its beauty. Most others are just another standard cue design to me. I kinda want one, but I'd be afraid to use/abuse it.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you say a linen wrap or leather? What color linen (pic if possible, please)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 767

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
For me samsara. When you see some of their cues, you know they are something special whether your a banger or not.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always been a fan of plain cues...and classic cues. For me it would be this Martin with an ivory handle. Very unique cue and rare...he only made two that you could break down like this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 743

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Most Impressive Cue

Black Boar red coral, silver, ivory, and ebony.

thread may be closed now. :smile:

best,
brian kc

I've looked at cues for years and when I saw this Black Boar I was blown away. It's the most impressive cue I've ever seen and Steve, the owner, has a collection that will impress anyone!

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Why would you buy a cue to just impress others with how it looks? I mean isn't the whole point about what you can do with it? In reality you can walk in with a gorgeous case and cue but when you step in the box you can't run 3 balls you reveal yourself to be a poser, right? Just a thought.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why would you buy a cue to just impress others with how it looks? I mean isn't the whole point about what you can do with it? In reality you can walk in with a gorgeous case and cue but when you step in the box you can't run 3 balls you reveal yourself to be a poser, right? Just a thought.

Colonel;

aside from the beauty of playing at an impressive level, there is also beauty in the art of how some cues are made and look.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Colonel;

aside from the beauty of playing at an impressive level, there is also beauty in the art of how some cues are made and look.

best,
brian kc

Oh I agree whole heartedly Brian, in fact some seemingly made for just aesthetic appreciation alone apparently. Saw a beautiful cue at a show that weighed a whopping 23.5 oz due to the amount of ivory & when I commented on this to the cue maker he replied it didn't matter, no one is buying that cue to play with which left me walking away scratching my head in wonder.

My comment was aimed at the premise of the OP, not buying a cue to appreciate its art but to IMPRESS OTHERS, I can't wrap my head around that motivation. Perhaps it's because I can't understand why people care about impressing others, to each his own.