10 ball, can you call it early?

ljsuperdave

Registered
I have been looking everywhere but I can not get a GOOD answer to this question.

Of course this is pool so there is no standard just 5,000 different ways of playing the same game. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone used the same rules all the time. No arguments over the specifics.

Is the answer however you feel like playing it? Nothing I've read directly addresses this issue. The 10 must be pocketed for a win, so if you call it and hit the lowest ball first I guess you win.

I'm new so I might have missed it but it seems there should be a rules category.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been looking everywhere but I can not get a GOOD answer to this question.

Of course this is pool so there is no standard just 5,000 different ways of playing the same game. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone used the same rules all the time. No arguments over the specifics.

Is the answer however you feel like playing it? Nothing I've read directly addresses this issue. The 10 must be pocketed for a win, so if you call it and hit the lowest ball first I guess you win.

I'm new so I might have missed it but it seems there should be a rules category.
If you're playing by the WPA rules, which is as close to standard as we have, then the 10 ball can be played early but it spots up if you make it and you continue shooting. For a win, the 10 has to be the only object ball on the table.

10 ball has been played for a long time in the US with the same rules as 9 ball. Recently some other rules have crept in.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We play modified WPA rules where i go. Same rules with the exception that you can combo/carom the 10b for the win. I hate the 10b last rule. Takes a chunk of excitement out of it imo.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
We play modified WPA rules where i go. Same rules with the exception that you can combo/carom the 10b for the win. I hate the 10b last rule. Takes a chunk of excitement out of it imo.

In Europe we play 10 ball last. It sucks. 10 ball should be played like 9 ball, like they do in the Philipines.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
10 ball should be played like 9 ball,

I disagree. I like 10 ball when it is played call shot, 10 ball last. I also like it call safe but most don’t, so I rarely play it that way. Truth is, we rarely play 10 ball in my area.

I’ve always been a fan of keeping the games different. Currently, I like playing 9 ball most. But no need make other games more like it. Let one pocket be one pocket, straight pool be straight pool, 8 ball be 8 ball, banks be banks, full rack rotation be full rack rotation 3 ball be 3 ball and 10 ball be 10 ball.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
WPA rules require ten ball last, just another example of a rule that makes the game less recognizable to the amateur player.

I can live with call shot, but "ten ball last" and "money ball doesn't count on the break" make the game less exciting.

Incidentally, most combos and caroms on the ten are played as two way shots, which ten ball has, at times, get rid of.

With silly rules like these, 10-ball will never overtake nine ball as the primary tournament game. In tournament play, there are probably 20 nine ball events for each 10-ball event. I'd be happy if it went to 50 to 1.

I've never seen a gambling match in which they played "ten ball last" but the gamblers can play by any rules they like/negotiate.

Ten ball played Texas Express, however, is a fantastic game, as we get to see in the Derby City Bigfoot 10-ball Challenge played on the ten footer.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
WPA rules require ten ball last, just another example of a rule that makes the game less recognizable to the amateur player.

I can live with call shot, but "ten ball last" and "money ball doesn't count on the break" make the game less exciting.

Incidentally, most combos and caroms on the ten are played as two way shots, which ten ball has, at times, get rid of.

With silly rules like these, 10-ball will never overtake nine ball as the primary tournament game. In tournament play, there are probably 20 nine ball events for each 10-ball event. I'd be happy if it went to 50 to 1.

I've never seen a gambling match in which they played "ten ball last" but the gamblers can play by any rules they like/negotiate.

Ten ball played Texas Express, however, is a fantastic game, as we get to see in the Derby City Bigfoot 10-ball Challenge played on the ten footer.

You’ve won me to the Texas express crowd for 10 ball after several posts on the subject. Which apparently is how it started out anyway. It’s just like a tougher version of 9 ball with an easier break (for me). You can always play 9 ball call shot if you like, I’ve played in a tournament like that

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You’ve won me to the Texas express crowd for 10 ball after several posts on the subject. Which apparently is how it started out anyway. It’s just like a tougher version of 9 ball with an easier break (for me). You can always play 9 ball call shot if you like, I’ve played in a tournament like that

The Texas express rules are simpler. In my experience, simple is usually better as far as pool rules are concerned. Pocketing a ball by luck is rare, and is also entertaining. To me that is reason enough NOT to try to eliminate it from the game. Besides that, there are many opportunities for 2 way shots, that need both skill and creativity to see.

Early 10 ball pocketing is also entertaining, as well as introducing a new strategy to win the game. In increases tension in the game and often can be used to put even more pressure on an opponent in a safety situation. For example, the lowest ball can be played close to the 10 while snookering the opponent.

Regular 10 ball can in my opinion often become quite boring and the Texas express rules can be a good remedy against this, for players of ANY skill level

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're playing by the WPA rules, which is as close to standard as we have, then the 10 ball can be played early but it spots up if you make it and you continue shooting. For a win, the 10 has to be the only object ball on the table.

10 ball has been played for a long time in the US with the same rules as 9 ball. Recently some other rules have crept in.

More stupidity on display by the WPA!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I doubt that will be playing it that way in the Bigfoot tournament any time soon.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

With silly rules like these, 10-ball will never overtake nine ball as the primary tournament game.

I’m pretty sure we agree on most issues surrounding pool in the US. However;

Behind 9 ball, most games are less exciting. Just to mention, one pocket and straight pool. Not lesser games just less exciting. Why try to make 10 ball any different?

I consider 9 ball to be a great tournament game with over the top excitement, as displayed in the Mosconi Cup and the US Open. Can’t imagine what a pool fan would expect above what we experienced this year in the “primary tournament” game. IMO, no need make another game with an additional ball.

10 ball, played “express”, is just 9 ball. We already have that game. And it may be the most popular game in the US. Nothing wrong with that.

I do not think the rules surrounding 10 ball are “silly”. The game is just a different game from other rotation games. Most notably, 9 ball.

Reactions: sjm

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I’m pretty sure we agree on most issues surrounding pool in the US. However;

Behind 9 ball, most games are less exciting. Just to mention, one pocket and straight pool. Not lesser games just less exciting. Why try to make 10 ball any different?

I consider 9 ball to be a great tournament game with over the top excitement, as displayed in the Mosconi Cup and the US Open. Can’t imagine what a pool fan would expect above what we experienced this year in the “primary tournament” game. IMO, no need make another game with an additional ball.

10 ball, played “express”, is just 9 ball. We already have that game. And it may be the most popular game in the US. Nothing wrong with that.

I do not think the rules surrounding 10 ball are “silly”. The game is just a different game from other rotation games. Most notably, 9 ball.

I see 9 Ball as being the "everything counts game"; including wild luck. As long as you strike the correct ball first, it's wide open. Anything goes.

I see 10 Ball as being a called shots version of 9 ball.

Keep them separate, because each game has its fans. No need for called shots in 9 Ball, or Texas Express in 10 Ball. One is a luck game, and one is not. I like both games.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I see 9 Ball as being the "everything counts game"; including wild luck. As long as you strike the correct ball first, it's wide open. Anything goes.

I see 10 Ball as being a called shots version of 9 ball.

Keep them separate, because each game has its fans. No need for called shots in 9 Ball, or Texas Express in 10 Ball. One is a luck game, and one is not. I like both games.

Ten Ball was originally designed as a more difficult version of 9-Ball, and it is! We played it by the same rules for decades (mostly in money games, Buddy Hall and Jimmy Reid were the two best until Parica came along). By adding the extra ball and making the rack triangular, Ten Ball racks were harder to run and it was far harder to make the ten on the break. I thought it was a great game for good players to compete in. The rules didn't need changing! I like that it can be played and compared on equal terms with 9-Ball.

ljsuperdave

Registered
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I recently started to TRY to play against the ghost in 9 ball. I didn't take long to figure out it's all in the break. Make a few on the break or leave the nine near a pocket and your chances greatly improve. If you don't have a good shot on the first ball it could already be over.

Even though I'm not kicking the ghost's butt in 9 I decided to try 10. That's when I started looking into the rules since hitting the last ball in early really improves your odds.

Well for sake of fun I'm going to play early 10 is legal as long as it's intended. And if you hit it in on break somehow, you win!