2013 AZ Billiards Straight Pool Challenge!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I just ran 105 on my Diamond. IMO it was a solid run although I did have to fight for a few balls from 80 on in. It's like Ray Martin once said, the table won't let you run a hundred, you gotta do something. So at 62 I am very proud of the run and that I was able to do something.

March 2. 105 plus I did get it on video.
So as long as my new camera doesn't let me down, I'll get it posted up and provide a link so the video link can accompany the 105.

Stan Shuffett

Congrats again Stan.

I thought i should at least reeal my identity to you here. I wished you congrats on Facebook Yesterday.

Lookin forward to watching the video !

-Steve

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats again Stan.

I thought i should at least reeal my identity to you here. I wished you congrats on Facebook Yesterday.

Lookin forward to watching the video !

-Steve

Thanks, Steve! Actually, I have no problem with your ID. I watched some of your mstches at the WORLDS 14.1 3 years ago in NJ. I wish that we could have met and visited there. The next time our paths cross we'll do that for sure.

Stan Shuffett

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
VERY STRONG run on that tight Diamond table. Congrats, Stan!

Thanks, Duke! I believe that my practice session on your table really helped out. My stroke has steadily improved over the past week. Looking forward to another practice session.
Stan Shuffett

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ran 105 on my Diamond. IMO it was a solid run although I did have to fight for a few balls from 80 on in. It's like Ray Martin once said, the table won't let you run a hundred, you gotta do something. So at 62 I am very proud of the run and that I was able to do something.

March 2. 105 plus I did get it on video.
So as long as my new camera doesn't let me down, I'll get it posted up and provide a link so the video link can accompany the 105.

Stan Shuffett

In the 4th rack you bumped the 14 ball for a foul and I just ran 150 an out on you to win the match. :wink: Great run. I can't wait to get my 10' Brunswick set up and put some monster runs up, "with video".

I live in northern Minnesota and everyone up here plays 8-Ball. Jimmy Wetch charges $15/hour to play any game with anyone. Maybe I should run down and play Jimmy some 14.1. And maybe some 9-Ball. :grin:

Again great run Stan. :thumbup:

Last edited:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Yesterday I played 14.1 maybe the second time this year. I was attending an IT seminar and during afternoon took some time off and went to play. Didn't have my own cues with me, so I played with a crooked and sticky house cue with a taped up linen grip. I finished the session running 32 and 57 on consecutive innings so put me up with 57 for this year. Maybe I'll have time to play a few racks with my Scruggs this year as well. Won't be switching cues though :p

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 4th rack you bumped the 14 ball for a foul and I just ran 150 an out on you to win the match. :wink: Great run. I can't wait to get my 10' Brunswick set up and put some monster runs up, "with video".

I live in northern Minnesota and everyone up here plays 8-Ball. Jimmy Wetch charges $15/hour to play any game with anyone. Maybe I should run down and play Jimmy some 14.1. And maybe some 9-Ball. :grin:

Again great run Stan. :thumbup:

Thanks for the thumbs-ups.

The bump on the 14, lol.....

So, you are getting a 10 footer. What kind of runs do you foresee? I have a 10 footer as well and once my video is complete I look forward to some 14.1 on that table as well. I am unsure what to expect though other than it's going to be tough to break 50....

Playing with Jimmy sounds like a bargain. I'd do that myself for sure.

If you run into Tubby say hello for me. I liked ol ' Tubby.

Stan Shuffett

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are embarrassing me! :p

I need to get into a second rack... I found a good spot to capture video, so I think I'll make it a point to try to get a run together this weekend. I'll post the video so you guys all have something to chuckle at. :thumbup:

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Picked up my Scruggs and played for a couple of hours. Managed to run several 30s and a 61. Still not feeling consistent at all, missed an easy one in the middle bag. Sigh....
Well, must be happy to be able to take some time off to play 14.1. And having fun while playing :)

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the thumbs-ups.

The bump on the 14, lol.....

So, you are getting a 10 footer. What kind of runs do you foresee? I have a 10 footer as well and once my video is complete I look forward to some 14.1 on that table as well. I am unsure what to expect though other than it's going to be tough to break 50....

Playing with Jimmy sounds like a bargain. I'd do that myself for sure.

If you run into Tubby say hello for me. I liked ol ' Tubby.

Stan Shuffett

I see myself breaking 100 within 2-4 weeks, depending on how often I play, which I'm sure will be as much as possible. I will be sure to have all my runs on video and will post my first video as soon as I hit the century mark.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Stan, great idea to play tunes while recording a high run. This is a good way to validate that the video has not been edited.

When I decide to shoot Jimmy I will ask for Tubby and tell him you said hello.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Stan, great idea to play tunes while recording a high run. This is a good way to validate that the video has not been edited.

When I decide to shoot Jimmy I will ask for Tubby and tell him you said hello.

Although good, unfortunately, that's not fool-proof -- i.e. using an undisturbed stream of sound as some kind of validation that the video wasn't tampered with.

There was an incident in the not-so-distant past where a submitted video wasn't edited, but rather, the shooter blocked the camera's line-of-sight to the table with his body while he was racking the balls, and in the process of racking, he discreetly and nonchalantly moved the last object ball on the table to give himself an angle into the rack. (Previously the breakshot was impossible -- i.e. straight-in shot to the pocket.) He had music playing in the background, and the move of the object ball wasn't noticeable unless you looked carefully at the orientation of the stripe and the number on the ball pre- and post-racking the balls.

Using sound is good from the standpoint of "stitching" video segments together, though. And, if you're Bill Maropolis, you can keep your audience in stitches at the content used (i.e. TV in background tuned to "American Idol" ;) ).

-Sean

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although good, unfortunately, that's not fool-proof -- i.e. using an undisturbed stream of sound as some kind of validation that the video wasn't tampered with.

There was an incident in the not-so-distant past where a submitted video wasn't edited, but rather, the shooter blocked the camera's line-of-sight to the table with his body while he was racking the balls, and in the process of racking, he discreetly and nonchalantly moved the last object ball on the table to give himself an angle into the rack. (Previously the breakshot was impossible -- i.e. straight-in shot to the pocket.) He had music playing in the background, and the move of the object ball wasn't noticeable unless you looked carefully at the orientation of the stripe and the number on the ball pre- and post-racking the balls.

Using sound is good from the standpoint of "stitching" video segments together, though. And, if you're Bill Maropolis, you can keep your audience in stitches at the content used (i.e. TV in background tuned to "American Idol" ;) ).

-Sean

Good to know. Along with sound maybe I will mount the camera diagonal out from the corner pocket. Like Stan's video. That way there is less chance of my body hiding the break ball.

Thanks Sean.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ran a 43 yesterday. Had a beautiful break shot but a ball froze to the cue ball so I had to play safe.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only You Eric, Nice shootin Pal !!!

-Steve

Thanks, Steve. Everything was coming together nicely, I thought for sure I was going to beat my high run. I think I may be hitting my break shots too hard.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks, Steve. Everything was coming together nicely, I thought for sure I was going to beat my high run. I think I may be hitting my break shots too hard.

Or Not Hard Enough, at least you didnt wiff it !!!

LOL LOL
-Steve

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Or Not Hard Enough, at least you didnt wiff it !!!

LOL LOL
-Steve

That's true! Usually when I get a perfect break shot, I slam the rack. I hit this one pretty damn hard and the cueball ended up near the head spot. Then another ball gently rolled right up on it. I think if I took a little speed off of my break shot that would happen less. What do I know?:shrug: