Cue for my daughter = jump/break for me?

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a few cues that I'd consider to be pretty high quality. I've been battling about getting either:

1) A new I-Shaft, Predator, or OB shaft for one of my existing cues

2) Buying another playing cue

3) Buying a Jump Cue

4) Buying a Break Cue

5) Buying a J/B Cue

I'm primarily a 14.1 player. I love the game, but play very casually, mostly by myself or small games with my wife. Because of that, I've had a hard time justifying a jump, break, or J/B cue.. I also don't know that $200 on a new shaft is really necessary over an OE shaft. I love playing cues, and I have a goal of filling a cue case that my grandfather built for me with special cues (I've recently added a Schon for my 5th wedding anniversary).

Now, I have a 3 month old daughter. Certainly she's a ways away from starting on my table, but I don't think it would be bad to plan for the future a bit... now I'm wondering if a J/B cue may make a nice compromise? It fills a nice luxury for myself, and allows her a stunted quality cue to grow with.

I'm wondering if anyone else could offer some insights to my long-winded thoughts.

If you're interested, I own 2 McDermott M-Series cues (Portico and Bat) and now a new model Schon. I wouldn't want to spend more than 300 on my specialty cues, collectively. I'm open to trying something new for another player, but probably would mean putting off the purchase for a while. I've been considering Pechauer, Mezz, Predator, Viking, or maybe a sub 2k custom.

Thanks!

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Choices

I f you mainly shoot 14.1 forget about a break cue. If your existing player works stick with it. Buy your daughter a cue made out of tulip wood with a heart on it.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 9 year old is using half of a Poison jump break butt with a skinny playing shaft and he loves it

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Personally, I would just buy her a cheap junior cue and forget about it till if or when she ever get's into the game for real.

Anything nice will probably just get beat to hell anyway.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol at using your 3-month-old as an excuse to get yourself a cue.

:eek:

Using an infant as an excuse to buy a jump/break cue is just pitiful. If you want to plan ahead, get on the multi-year long wait list of a prized cuemaker. When she is old enough, the cue will be ready.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol... you guys got me. I like the idea of getting on a custom cue waitlist... I'll play with it until she's ready for it. Then she can have it when I'm dead. That will probably be shortly after my wife finds the invoice.

All joking aside, I think I've decided to forego the break cue for now. I play 14.1 almost exclusively. I also have house cues, so maybe I'll just get a Samsara tip put on one of those or something for now. I don't typically play away from home, anyway.

The jump cue is still interesting to me. I may have to snag one of those. Even the good ones are pretty well under 200, so not exactly a bank buster. I doubt it will get a ton of use, but it'll be fun to learn a new skill with a proper tool.

I probably will just get a junior cue when she's old enough to play. Thanks for the advice and the laughs!