Magic Rack - Pet Peeve

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Anyone else out there run across this? Especially with players who aren't used to using a template rack.

I break, successfully, as I'm almost down on my shot my opponent runs over to the table to remove the template rack. I'm used to playing with it laying on the table and in years of playing with one have NEVER had one cost me a game. Most of the time I tell them to leave it on the table and they can remove it when it's THEIR turn at the table. IMO when it's not your turn at the table you should remain in your chair until it is your turn. Otherwise it really could be considered sharking. I don't believe these people are trying to shark they just are uncomfortable with the rack on the table. I actually had one guy say that I could use the rack to my advantage!! :rolleyes:

Rant over

You need to get perspective...and then a life.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said it shouldn't be removed, the issue is by whom. It should be removed by the player in control of the table, not by an opponent who should rightly be planted in their chair, IMO.

Dave

We completely agree.:thumbup:

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said it shouldn't be removed, the issue is by whom. It should be removed by the player in control of the table, not by an opponent who should rightly be planted in their chair, IMO.

Dave

We completely agree.:thumbup:

And this was exactly the point I was trying to make in my original post..

Last edited:

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want to leave it there, no? I think YOU need to remove it as soon as practical.

I never said I wanted to leave it there, although on occasion I will until I need to remove it. And I would be quite ok if there was a rule to remove it right after the break. What I don't want is my opponent coming to the table to remove it when they should be in their chair. Even worse is that on a number of occasions they have come to the table to remove it when I am down on my shot.

Seems a few may have mis-read my original post..

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never said I wanted to leave it there, although on occasion I will until I need to remove it. And I would be quite ok if there was a rule to remove it right after the break. What I don't want is my opponent coming to the table to remove it when they should be in their chair. Even worse is that on a number of occasions they have come to the table to remove it when I am down on my shot.

Seems a few may have mis-read my original post..

I don't think your first shot should be taken until it is removed.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the rules from the thread;
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=186405

These rules have changed from this old thread!

The rules I received from CSI read a little different.

Was changed to;
....Rule 1.33, Disturbed Balls, DOESN"T apply..... and NO fouls may occur ......

I used to have a link to the rules from Bill Stock regarding the Magic Rack from the CSI website but I can no longer find it.

Would someone from CSI please post the official rules either here on this thread or on the CSI web site please.
From the 2016 BCAPL National Championships Tournament Regulations"

Rule A6-4. Removal of the Magic Ball Rack
The Magic Ball Rack may only be removed by the shooter or a referee.
Rule 1.33 Disturbed Balls, does NOT apply to the act of removing the Magic Ball Rack.
Any balls disturbed during the removal of the rack must be restored.
If more than one ball interferes with the removal of the rack, it is recommended to leave the rack in place until the balls are moved during the course of the game.
A referee may also be summoned to assist in the removal of the rack.

Rule A6-4a. Marking Balls to Remove the Magic Ball Rack
At the referee’s or shooter’s option only, a maximum of two balls may be marked in order to remove the Magic Ball Rack (if they are not frozen to each other or any other ball).
If more than two balls interfere with the removal of the rack or if the balls are frozen to each other or another ball, the rack must stay in place until the lay of the table allows its removal.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
IMHO, I believe the rack should be removed from the table immediately after breaking if the layout of the balls allow it.
Exactly what I do.

AZers, If u like template racks.......Get an ACCU-RACK from Outsville!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagwoodz

the dude abides...
Silver Member

Rule 1.33 Disturbed Balls, does NOT apply to the act of removing the Magic Ball Rack.
If more than one ball interferes with the removal of the rack, it is recommended to leave the rack in place until the balls are moved during the course of the game.

At the referee’s or shooter’s option only, a maximum of two balls may be marked in order to remove the Magic Ball Rack (if they are not frozen to each other or any other ball).
If more than two balls interfere with the removal of the rack or if the balls are frozen to each other or another ball, the rack must stay in place until the lay of the table allows its removal.

I think that, how the rule reads above, is the general consensus here, with the added stipulation that it be removed as soon as possible.

The GIF in your signature drives me mad...I just want the guy to shoot the damned ball..........:angry::thumbup:

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you!

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see them being left on the table a lot, but it bugs me. I think it should be necessary to remove it right after the break. That being said, I'd never get up and remove it when it's not my turn as I realize that could bother someone, unless it had been discussed and deemed okay to do so. I stay in my seat when it's not my turn at the table.

THIS, simply... I never get up and remove anything while my opponent is at the table working... as soon as it's my turn, I remove it. Chalk falls off the table, ball falls out of the return... I let my opponent notice it, or wait for my turn.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that, how the rule reads above, is the general consensus here, with the added stipulation that it be removed as soon as possible.

The GIF in your signature drives me mad...I just want the guy to shoot the damned ball..........:angry::thumbup:
Funny you mention that the gif drives you crazy. It does the same thing to me. I think its my OCD. Same applies to leaving a magic rack on the table. My OCD drives me to want to take it off the table. And don't get me started with cubes of chalk that are not right side up on the side of the table...

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you!

So as I read this does it mean that it's a foul if your opponent removes the Magic Rack? I would have a very hard time calling that foul.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Well, no, that's not the way it works in practice. Once a table has craters in the wrong places it is more or less impossible to get a tight rack with a normal triangle.

On my home table, which gets used a lot, when the balls dont freeze anymore I use a drinking glass that has a flat bottom and rub it over the rack area. Then like magic the balls freeze into place again using only my Delta 13 Elite. Wouldnt the balls not freezing in the rack have been a problem with the old slow cloth? What did everyone do for all the years of pool before templates??

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On my home table, which gets used a lot, when the balls dont freeze anymore I use a drinking glass that has a flat bottom and rub it over the rack area. Then like magic the balls freeze into place again using only my Delta 13 Elite. Wouldnt the balls not freezing in the rack have been a problem with the old slow cloth? What did everyone do for all the years of pool before templates??
We broke from loose racks. And we didn't ever see a really tight rack so we didn't know how they should react. We expected movement on the nine and thought only a bad rack would keep the nine from moving. We were stupid.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
We broke from loose racks. And we didn't ever see a really tight rack so we didn't know how they should react. We expected movement on the nine and thought only a bad rack would keep the nine from moving. We were stupid.

LOL.. The hardest thing in the world is to get people to understand that they dont know what they dont know. (it took me awhile to even understand what this really means)