ISO/wtb clear acrylic pads

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not had a failure with one of Kamui's pads.

Last edited:

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fastest way to cut them without a laser would be a 5/8" plug cutter for 13mm, give you less than 1/16" overhang. Or a 1/2" plug cutter for 12mm or less.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Kamui pad is polycarbonate.

That is what I thought. Polycarbonate is a totally different animal than acrylic. Acrylic can crack and break easily, were as the polycarb won't. I would also think that the effect on the hit, if any, would be much different too.

Dave (the Pad-less)

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
i'm waiting on someone to experiment with polycarb tips....would take a bit of trial and error to find the correct variant but i bet theres one soft / flexible enough to get the job done.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm waiting on someone to experiment with polycarb tips....would take a bit of trial and error to find the correct variant but i bet theres one soft / flexible enough to get the job done.

There is, but you can't break with it, otherwise it leaves permanent deformation on the tip. I have not tried it with the make up type of chalks, but regular chalk did not stick all that well to the tip. Leather will yield to the ball still carrying the chalk, so makes a better contact, hence the chalk dot when you strike a ball. Softer tips = bigger chalk dot, harder tips = smaller chalk dot. Depending on the yield of the tip material.
Neil

dzcues

Silver Member
1/32" acrylic warning

In case anyone who purchased my acrylic pads is worried, I've not had a single failure reported, nor have I had any complaints about the hit. While I do not dispute polycarbonate's inherent strengths, in the real world, it hasn't been an issue.
Carry on.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan nailed it. People simply like the look & despite all the naysayers, a pad has a negligible effect on the hit. Just think about all those ivory ferrules that hit great - even with a pad!

Regarding patent infringement, pads have been used for decades. I don't see color or opacity as being a reason for exclusivity.

Yes, I could (and have) cut my own from CDs (thanks, Neil) or I could have ordered the cheaper, larger & thicker pads from ebay but I'm lazy. The real reason I had a batch burned in 1/32" thickness was so I could glue the pads to tips ahead of time. When a customer arrives & wants a Triangle with a clear pad, I pick an already padded tip out of my box & glue it on. Wham, bam, done & I'm $5 richer.

Triangles! That's how I started as well. I had a customer that thought it looked cool but wanted it on a Triangle. I told him that it was just (in my opinion), something to prevent glue starvation. He just liked the way it looked and it made it easier for him to tell which shaft he was pulling out of his bag. It is frustrating to think someone would make up fake Kamui clears to pass off though. Some folks don't mind looking over their shoulders all the time I guess.

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I have installed tips using the acrylic disks from Ebay and never had a failure............ it does not affect the hit or playability......... it is just an extension of the ferrule

some people love them and some people hate them................LOL

Kim