How to ship a cue with ivory

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Agree, I have a bunch of cues with white stuff too, and they're never going for sale. They will be in my "cold, dead, hand..."

All the best,

WW

Yeah I snatched up my Martin right before all the hoopla....it’s going no where bit with me hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent most of my life there in Kali moved out 5.5 years ago, it was the best thing I could have ever done, the state is even more messed up since I left, I would be surprised they have taxed or out lawed farts yet.

The CA laws in general are getting out of control, IMHO. I was under the impression that domestically is okay, but international is strictly prohibited. Glad I started reading this thread.

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for all the good responses. I have a pretty good idea of how to consummate this sale now (if it happens). My preference is to deliver it by hand, possibly in Vegas and accept cash only. This has been a learning experience for me. I have several cues with "white" content, most of them very old (60's to 80's). I'm glad I asked on here. :wink:

Good decision Jay ;)

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really what plant is that ,, I work in several USPS plants in Va I’ve yet to see it but I’ll ask a inspector this week any a meeting I have where he will be

I think most of us here figured it out that this was a joke:thumbup:
That dog in the ups outfit is great!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most of us here figured it out that this was a joke:thumbup:
That dog in the ups outfit is great!

Is it really a joke?

Ivory sniffing dogs do exist and government employees do like their toys, when the taxpayers are buying.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay.....anyone living in CA cannot sell or buy or gift any cue of any age at any time to anyone.
Only a CITES certificate gets you an exemption if the cue has any ivory, even just a ferrule.

The law is clear and packages are periodically checked so be careful because CA Fish & Wildlife
will prosecute you if the sale is detected. That's the sole reason I do not own a Hercek cue rite now.

Matt B.

p.s. Remember that California has the most strict law on banning ivory more restrictive than other states & Fed'l Gov't.
Before taking bad advice, it's your money at risk & attorney cost as this is a crime if caught but all advice on AZ is free.

This is in my opinion the best answer thus far when combined with Matt's next post. It also includes anything related to "commerce" when ivory is involved. Trades/barter, etc. are considered commerce so that wouldn't fly either.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top twelve
things you should know about the U.S. Postal Service
AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to More
United States Postal Service - May 15, 2018

Social responsibility. From facilitating the nation's largest one-day food drive to addressing dog bites, educating customers on consumer protection and delivering holiday cheer to those in need, the Postal Service supports communities.

Veterans. The Postal Service employs more than 105,000 military veterans. USPS also has issued more than 140 stamps honoring the nation's military history.

All heart. The Postal Service is the core of the $1.4 trillion U.S. mailing industry that employs more than 7.5 million people.

Heroes. Postal employees regularly go beyond the call of duty to protect the lives of customers they serve, including older and disabled customers through the Carrier Alert Program. In fiscal year 2017, the Postal Service recognized 318 heroic employees.

Retail giant. The Postal Service has the nation's largest retail network — bigger than McDonald’s, Starbucks and Walmart combined, domestically.

Global business. The Postal Service processes and delivers 47 percent of the world's mail and is constantly innovating to make customer experiences better.

Vehicles. The Postal Service has more than 230,000 vehicles, one of the largest civilian fleets in the world. Next-generation vehicles will have improved ergonomics, safety features, fuel efficiency and design flexibility.

Competition and collaboration. The Postal Service both competes and collaborates with the private sector. UPS and FedEx pay the Postal Service to deliver hundreds of millions of their ground packages, and USPS pays UPS and FedEx for air transportation.

Affordability. For 50 cents, anyone can send a letter, regardless of geographic location, to anywhere in the United States.

Dependable. The Postal Service is the only organization in the country that has the resources, network infrastructure and logistical capability to regularly deliver to every residential and business address in the nation.

Security. U.S. Mail is protected by more than 200 federal laws enforced by the Postal Inspection Service, one of the nation's oldest law enforcement agencies.

And most importantly...

Zero tax dollars used. The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are pensions and health care for USPS employees operating expenses? If you added those expenses to their bottom line would the union be able to make such outlandish claims? How much in tax dollars has the USPS borrowed to meet those expenses over the last 10 years?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are pensions and health care for USPS employees operating expenses? If you added those expenses to their bottom line would the union be able to make such outlandish claims? How much in tax dollars has the USPS borrowed to meet those expenses over the last 10 years?

These are not union facts,these are from the usps site. Pensions are included. Maybe you should google the 1996 bill that makes the post office pre fund 75 years in advance pensions. No other business in the world is saddled with that . When it's gone you can all cry about how much it cost to ship,the only thing keeping FedEx and ups from raising there rates thru the roof is competition. By the the way ups is totally Unionized, but that's ok:thumbup:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are not union facts,these are from the usps site. Pensions are included. Maybe you should google the 1996 bill that makes the post office pre fund 75 years in advance pensions. No other business in the world is saddled with that . When it's gone you can all cry *about how much it cost to ship,the only thing keeping FedEx and ups from raising there rates thru the roof is competition. By the the way ups is totally Unionized, but that's ok:thumbup:

* infamous buggywhip last quote

A Failed Mission: U.S. Postal Service Details Another Massive Loss For The 2017 Fiscal Year
Steve Pociask

Today, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) released its financial report for the 2017 fiscal year in which its leadership detailed a greatly concerning loss of $2.7 billion. These results, while unsurprising, point to a critical need for USPS leaders, regulators and lawmakers to institute improved management practices for the agency that has suffered multi-billion losses for eleven consecutive years.

As American Consumer Institute has discussed in response to past financial reports, as well as previously noted in Forbes, the USPS is greatly lacking in terms of employing cost controls and proper alignment of expenses with regard to the agency's primary mission to provide letter mail service delivery.

As a part of this, the USPS' latest $4.1 billion in unpaid employee retirement related expenses are factored into their losses. The Postal Service, however is not making these payments, which ultimately leaves this amount added to their $121 billion in unfunded liabilities that the Government Accountability Office reported on earlier this year.

In disregarding these very real labor costs, the USPS has often touted its "controllable" financial position based on the revenue and costs of product operations. But even this figure has proven alarmingly grim, as postal leaders lament the challenges with "below-margin" package deliveries and other nonregulated services.

Specifically, controllable losses for 2017 fell to $814 million compared to a controllable income gain of $610 million last year. Because the USPS can readily make changes to their lines of services that it brings to market, it is essential for every single item to come under greater scrutiny.

MORE FROM FORBES

One major problem is that the USPS is using profits from its monopoly letter mail services to subsidize failing and low margin nonregulated services. Letter mail services have consistently driven positive gains allowing the USPS to earn $2.24 for every $1 of attributable costs. Given that these mail services alone brought in more than $21 billion last year, there is an imperative need for transparency about nonregulated products that continue to be offered despite the continued failure by the USPS to demonstrate financial sustainability.

Instead of employing this kind of astute management, the USPS is lamentably seeking greater letter mail profits through both familiar and unprecedented means. While the USPS was recently authorized by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) to implement inflation-based price increases, the USPS is also trying to achieve nearly unchecked pricing authority over regulated services as part of the PRC's ten-year review of the overall rate system.

Giving the USPS the ability to raise regulated service prices faster than inflation would be a mistake, as ACI has noted, and would distract from the major need to improve letter mail service standards. In recent years, USPS has continually failed to meet on-time standards for nearly every First-Class Mail product. As long as the USPS are allowed to drain its letter service profits to prop up failing nonregulated services, the quality of service for First-Class Mail service will suffer.

As the year-end report shows, the USPS' oversights are widespread and damaging such that it must be subject to systemic reforms that will allow it to best serve letter mail consumers and become more accountable overall. If it cannot focus on its main mission, maybe it is time to scrub the mission.

Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Politics
Postal Service federal pension contributions 105 percent overfunded
By Timothy R. Smith June 25, 2012

The U.S. Postal Service has overfunded its federal pension obligations by nearly 105 percent, or $13.1 billion, for the federal fiscal year ending Sept. 30, 2011, according to a report issued last week by the agency’s inspector general.

The inspector general suggested reverting the surplus money to the Postal Service. But the Office of Personnel Management is not permitted to return surplus contributions to federal agencies. That would require an act of Congress.

“We believe allowing the Postal Service to use its current and future surplus funds will provide significant financial relief and dramatically improve cash flow,” the inspector general noted.

nding we absolutely think should be returned to the Postal Service to help them get out of the hole that they’re in and get some stability,” said Sally Davidow, communications director for the American Postal Workers Union.

A provision in the 2012 postal reform act that passed the Senate and is currently in the House would return the projected $11.4 billion surplus that the agency contributed to the Federal Employee Retirement System. That bill also proposes returning all future surpluses to the agency.

A separate postal reform bill introduced in the House would have postal workers make the same retirement contributions as other federal employees and would return a $10 billion 2010 FERS surplus within two weeks after passage. Both bills are pending House approval.

Further hurting the Postal Service’s finances, according to the inspector general’s report, is a 2006 postal reform act that requires the agency to prefund the health plans of future retirees through 2016. Prefunding is sucking more than $5 billion a year off the Postal Service’s ledger books.

The inspector general proposed allowing the Postal Service to draw off its extensive property holdings, assessed at $85 billion, as collateral to address any retirement and health obligations if unexpected problems were to arise.

“The $85 billion would sufficiently cover the remaining unfunded retiree health-care benefit obligation of $46 billion,” the report said.

Joseph Corbett, the Postal Service’s chief financial officer, in comments included in the report, said he hopes to have the surplus pension issues resolved by the end of the year.

--A previous version of this post incorrectly reported the amount of overfunding and the date the inspector general’s report was issued.

We can keep posting right wing and left wing propaganda all day.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can take a partisan approach, like all liberals. Here is the non-partisan truth:

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) released its financial report for the 2017 fiscal year in which its leadership detailed a greatly concerning loss of $2.7 billion.

In addition, you quote a 2012 article, nothing up to date. Concerning employee retirement expenses , the Government Accounting Office reported this in 2017:

the USPS' latest $4.1 billion in unpaid employee retirement related expenses are factored into their losses. The Postal Service, however is not making these payments, which ultimately leaves this amount added to their $121 billion in unfunded liabilities that the Government Accountability Office reported on earlier this year.

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A non-political point in this discussion is that one of the few things the federal government is assigned to do by the constitution is to provide post offices and post roads. See this line in sec. 8 'To establish Post Offices and post Roads'.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A non-political point in this discussion is that one of the few things the federal government is assigned to do by the constitution is to provide post offices and post roads. See this line in sec. 8 'To establish Post Offices and post Roads'.

You would think that in our huge federal budget a few billion could be allocated to the USPS. It is only one of the most essential parts of our infrastructure.

BooRadley

Registered
Well bout 5 years back I sold an 70's era Ginacue that had ivory on it and I had never even thought about this. I sold it to a AZbilliards user and thats actually how I found this forum. I personally just sent it using UPS from Los Angeles across country and it was no problem.

mrkdenton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just drive to the next state and mail it from there.

Go to next state and mail it jay. Easy Peasy. :)

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You would think that in our huge federal budget a few billion could be allocated to the USPS. It is only one of the most essential parts of our infrastructure.

Jay, if the legislature would stay out of the postage rate business and let it be properly regulated the USPS could run on it's own income. But the politicians sell out to the lobbyists from the publishing companies and junk mail and advertising companies and give them a rate that loses money. If junk mail cost the same as priority it would solve the problem.