SVB's world titles

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a youngish O'Sullivan did OK against Hendry. This source shows them meeting 26 times in the 90's, with Hendry winning 13 to O'Sullivan's 11 (2 ties). In frames, it was 157 (52.3%) for Hendry and 143 (47.7%) for O'Sullivan.

https://cuetracker.net/head-to-head/ronnie-osullivan/stephen-hendry

Ha well not quite literally unbeatable ;-)

Although am surprised it was that close, I’m guessing that O’Sullivan’s wins we’re in the shorter matches?

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha well not quite literally unbeatable ;-)

Although am surprised it was that close, I’m guessing that O’Sullivan’s wins we’re in the shorter matches?

They played 18 matches that were best of 17 or longer, and split them 9 matches a piece.

They played 31 matches that were best of 11 or longer, and Ronnie won 17-14.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They played 18 matches that were best of 17 or longer, and split them 9 matches a piece.

They played 31 matches that were best of 11 or longer, and Ronnie won 17-14.

You'd think with those stats Ronnie would have won more than he did in that period, I guess he was inconsistent, could up his game, but maybe couldn't keep the form going for a whole tournament.

The game I remember most was I think a World semi-final when they were both in top form and I think Hendry won with them seemingly hitting each other with centuries every frame (I think in reality it was probably about 4, but felt like loads)!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game I remember most was I think a World semi-final when they were both in top form and I think Hendry won with them seemingly hitting each other with centuries every frame (I think in reality it was probably about 4, but felt like loads)!

That was probably in 1999, they each had 4 centuries.

It looks like they've played each other in the World Championship a total of 5 times.

1995 / 13-8 Hendry
1999 / 17-13 Hendry
2002 / 17-13 Hendry
2004 17-4 O'Sullivan
2008 17-6 O'Sullivan

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy White`s WC history always makes me a bit sad...on the one hand, what an achievement to be a finalist 6 times and 5 times in a row, on the other hand he will always be remembered as the second best.
And people say he is the best player, who never won a WC, but if you think about it, he might even lose this "title", if Ding Junhui doesn`t manage to win a WC in his career.

I don`t think that today you can agree about "the best" in cuesports.
The standard has become so high, that there are 30+ players, who can win titles and there are no ultra dominant players like Steve Davis or Hendry were in Snooker.
Players like Shane or Selby are monsters, but they are not unbeatable.

So to get back to topic:
Is Shane the best player in the world? Probably!
Does he need to win WCs to be considered the greatest of all time? Maybe!
Will we find the answer to this questions within the next 500 pages in this thread? No!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was probably in 1999, they each had 4 centuries.

It looks like they've played each other in the World Championship a total of 5 times.

1995 / 13-8 Hendry
1999 / 17-13 Hendry
2002 / 17-13 Hendry
2004 17-4 O'Sullivan
2008 17-6 O'Sullivan

Yeah I think that was the one I was thinking of, was a great match!

Those results tell a good story actually, it shows the old master being overthrown by the new kid on the block.

Thank you for posting!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy White`s WC history always makes me a bit sad...on the one hand, what an achievement to be a finalist 6 times and 5 times in a row, on the other hand he will always be remembered as the second best.
And people say he is the best player, who never won a WC, but if you think about it, he might even lose this "title", if Ding Junhui doesn`t manage to win a WC in his career.

The standard has become so high, that there are 30+ players, who can win titles and there are no ultra dominant players like Steve Davis or Hendry were in Snooker.

So to get back to topic:
Will we find the answer to this questions within the next 500 pages in this thread? No!

Haha well said!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I think that was the one I was thinking of, was a great match!

Those results tell a good story actually, it shows the old master being overthrown by the new kid on the block.

Thank you for posting!

No problem. They are definitely 1 and 2 in the sport.

I

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member

So to get back to topic:

Hard to compare decade to decade with the changing landscape, more events, tougher field.
Arguably Ronnie has won many events against a tougher field in the last decade.

To be honest on the topic, originally I was trying to understand why he was being introduced at the Turning Stone event as " Multiple World Champion" but the thread morphed into something else.
I wouldn't say he would be forgotten in time if he never wins an official World title but let's just say the record books won't be as kind as his fans :)