Statistics - Now I think I know what I need to work on

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And that would be proper pattern selection / CB control for the final 5 or so balls on the table prior to the break shot.

Mostly when I practice 14.1, I set a break shot and play offense. After looking at stats on runs from league matches (thanks to the Straight Pool Deluxe App), it is evident that end rack pattern is where I need to work. I know Blackjack has some good drills for this. What are your thought? Look below (don't make fun of the short runs!). The highlighted cells indicate where I was within 1-4 balls of the break ball and either missed or had no break shot (both probably due to poor positioning). As you can see, five of the runs ended with a miss in the middle of the second rack - probably lack of concentration.

Even on the runs that went to a third rack, most ended because I only made one ball (the break ball with no break shot) or perhaps just tickled the rack and made one more ball afterwards. The sad art is that i only had one run in these thirty that went deep into the third rack, and then I probably missed due to poor end pattern play.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Runs.JPG
    Runs.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 186

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I missed a run of 33 when looking. It went 8-14-11; so another miss deep in the rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even without collecting any stats, I KNOW that this is my weak area (of course, there is always room for improvement on stroke, rhythm, bridging, etc.). But properly playing the last 5 or 6 balls - especially when there is a perfectly good spread - is a relatively weak area for me. I think that the fix lies in having the discipline to map it out when that number of balls remains on the table, and to not let myself get lazy and delay or skip the mapping. Maybe after putting in enough of this work - the way I’ve put in work on other parts of my game - the 5-6 ball end patterns will start to present themselves to my mind more rapidly and naturally than they do now.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Join the club! It was said that Mosconi was a "middling" player until he learned to play the last five balls. Of course most of us would kill to be so "middling."

I think if you can run into the 30's here and there then your skill at planning out the last five is probably not your weak point. It's probably just your cue ball control. You get through the rack because there are lots of options, but when you get down to the last few balls your cue ball control has to be spot on. Your deficiency in this area is there throughout the whole rack and is only apparent to you near the end. Like me, you probably don't want to hear this because it points at a more difficult "problem" to overcome than simply learning better shot sequences, which is far easier to do.

Put a break ball out there and throw three more balls out there randomly (mostly on the lower half of the table) and practice getting on the break ball.

If you didn't have this problem you'd be running 100's all the time so don't be too hard on yourself. Work on cue ball control, IMO. The better your control the better last five you will have because you will be better able to choose with last balls to leave yourself. It's like a vicious circle... better cb control means better final balls which means easier strategy and better execution.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your feedback Dan. You are absolutely 100% correct — it is CB control. Played a match recently and most of my troubles came from lack of CB control. Running into ball that I should have easily avoided, etc. Clearly that is what I need to work on.

Currently, I have no room for a table at the house; thus my play is very limited. That is also a root cause; hard to work on improving if you do not practice. One day.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk