How many here are big fans of 8 Ball Pool?

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My preferences:

Take what you make.
No ball-in-hand.
8-ball must be banked.

Pretty much what I play. I was forced to bank the 8 when my wife started playing with me. Now that she's improved we both bank the 8. We don't play BIH mainly because she doesn't have a good grasp on position playing. Also the reason we don't play 9 ball.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t like ‘take what you make” at the highest level...reeks of bar rules...
...extra element of luck

I saw Ronnie Wiseman make five low balls on the break once...
...cue ball was surrounded by high balls...it was a great break...he ran out on high balls.
...at “take what you make”...he had no chance of winning...on an excellent break.
...skill should be rewarded

Personally, I prefer “last pocket”....no call shots

I get it. Being surrounded by high balls after making most of the low balls on the break is bad luck, but making most of the low balls on the break is skill.

There's more skill in making the 8 on the break, but I would be ok with spotting the 8 if made on the break. However, in a bar that requires putting more money in the table.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience is limited, only really getting involved in organized pool for a couple years now, but have played in more than a few bars through the years. I play in APA and NAPA 8-ball leagues now. Have played TAP 8-ball as well.
I prefer the call ball and pocket in TAP and NAPA over APA's anything goes. I also like the table being open after sinking anything on the break in NAPA and TAP. That has caused me to foul in APA by shooting opposite of what I pocketed on the break, but it means that I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing. In NAPA, a scratch when shooting the 8 is just a foul, not loss of game, but I find that except in very rare circumstances, it doesn't make much difference. It does make me bolder making kick shots at the 8.
Playing other times at the same locations where league pool occurrs is often a negotiation. When playing other league players, we usually just say we're playing NAPA or whatever league is common to us, and a defensive shot is part of the game, but for other people with quarters up that gets convoluted. Often people say just "bar pool" or "call your shots". BIH is often a foreign concept to them. What is really frustrating is when they feel their rules are the "right" ones even when they are challenging someone else that has been winning on that table.
All that said, I think that I would say I am a big fan of 8-ball pool.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this whole thread intriguing, as if the OP doesn’t realize just how popular 8-ball is? There’s a disconnect here. And with so many rulesets as well as bar rules, it’s no wonder.

I generally play CSI rules or WPA rules, depending on how the other players want to play. But I certainly don’t mind playing slop rules.

Freddie <~~~ still loves 8-ball
What's the next thread? How many like 7 ball? Then 6 ball, then he can get all wacky and go 14.1. if really determined, he can ask about 1p.

Then, for a maniacally unexpected twist...banks.

:rolleyes::slap:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a while where we got crazy about 9ball we moved over to 14.1 and then returned to 8ball. I has a contemplative vibe to it, I find.
We use standard rules, call all balls of course, and ball in hand on fouls. And we like to play dirty safeties :D

Good game is also "cut throat" if you're 3 persons. We spiced it up by ball in hand in kitchen and you must hit a ball beyond the middle line after BIH.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Love call everything 8 ball. No slop!!!!!

I admit it...I get a bit tired of the term “slop”....it’s a biased word, implying derision.
...I wouldn’t want to see 14.1 or banks played any other way, so I’m not totally against it.

But some of the greatest games in the billiard world are played “no call”....
...snooker, 3-cushion, and one-pocket.....many shots are played with multiple outcomes
intended.....I’ve seen Efren in a trap at 9-ball and play two balls in...it was skill.

So often I hear the word “slop” from vanity...”I lost ‘cause the guy got lucky”....
...often coming from a player that needs the last five from a short stop.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
And what is call everything?

Is is different than call pocket?

If so...that's dummmmmm

Sorry Balls Black,

What he meant by "call everything" is call how many rails you'll bank or kick, call kisses, caroms, billiards, the last solid or stripe you make will be that determining pocket you have to make the 8 on and any other BS so that your opponent can make up his BS rules just in order to give you the disadvantage, just because bangers think that 8-ball is pool and nothing else but pool, right 9 Ball Fan?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love eight ball when it's played "take what you make" at the highest level.

I love 8 ball as well. I agree take what you make is the way to go. Puts a premium on a good controlled break. Personally, I think bar box 8 ball is a fantastic game. Very complex with lots of strategy and specialty shots. That's probably deep down my very favorite pool game.

KMRUNOUT