Have you ever used a name other than your own playing pool?

OneArmBandit

Registered
I got called a few names, but never went by any...lol. I have a friend who did though, I went to his wedding, and I'm still not sure what JayTee's real name is...lol. He called himself quite a few different names usually with some connection to his real first name, but Johnson or Johnston as a last.

It's dangerous going by a single name. I asked Doug James to put me in and buy me in the Calcutta in a smallish tourney in GA ($75-100 entry), Well Doug had been doing well in the Florida circuit and he couldn't remember my last name. Here he was a top 10 player(in the group) bidding on me, I went off 10-12 in the Calcutta with a bunch of name players. Mike Gulyassy,Jimmy Reid, Mike Massy, Johnnie Archer... Thank goodness he dropped me finally...

Love the story of Cesar Morales vs Billy Johnson at Red’s Open 9-Ball Championship 1985!!!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
plenty of nicknames

I got called a few names, but never went by any...lol. I have a friend who did though, I went to his wedding, and I'm still not sure what JayTee's real name is...lol. He called himself quite a few different names usually with some connection to his real first name, but Johnson or Johnston as a last.

It's dangerous going by a single name. I asked Doug James to put me in and buy me in the Calcutta in a smallish tourney in GA ($75-100 entry), Well Doug had been doing well in the Florida circuit and he couldn't remember my last name. Here he was a top 10 player(in the group) bidding on me, I went off 10-12 in the Calcutta with a bunch of name players. Mike Gulyassy,Jimmy Reid, Mike Massy, Johnnie Archer... Thank goodness he dropped me finally...

Love the story of Cesar Morales vs Billy Johnson at Red’s Open 9-Ball Championship 1985!!!

I had plenty of nicknames. As long as they weren't pool related I was fine with them. I never gave them out myself so they varied from place to place. I was moderately large and fairly hairy as my avatar shows so nicknames tended to relate to how I looked. Still haven't figured out how "Fish" relates to large and hairy but whatever!

Hu

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I have.

I went into a fancy establishment with pool tables that was run by the mob and they have connections all over North America.

I tried to pick up top guys girlfriend, Suzie, and succeeded,

And then proceeded to run up a huge bar tab...Then lost couple thousand playing 9 ball at the table. i took off by jumping out a bathroom window and fled on a motorcycle owned by one of the bouncers who were all Hells Angels.

However, I did leave a token gift for them. A set of ‘How to billiard DVDs’ along with a note ‘

‘no hard feelings, You guys are great...cheers...CJ Wiley.

Ps.. tell Suzie, Yes, that was my favourite pool table experience and I won’t tell anyone about her tattoo’

( just kidding).

Last edited:

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when I was on the road gambling I used 3 aliases, Mike from Indiana, Chris from Missouri and Butch from Tennessee.

This is the story of how they almost got backed to play each other to see who the best young player was in the country.

https://youtu.be/GA3NPNA61yw

How about you, ever had to use a name other than your own for any reason?

No, I only used my given name. I played a lot of pool in the 60's in East Texas in the road houses on bar tables. What I did do is made sure there was a window in the mens room that I could open and crawl out of if there was any trouble with the patron or the law. I also parked my car in an area where no one could block me in. Never had any trouble to speak of. If I won I always bought a round for the house.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the dive bars on South Broadway in Denver I called myself Broadway Joe, a famous poolplayer who has never lost a game on South Broadway.
We had drunk guys believing I was the famous but nonexistent Broadway Joe..."is he really that Broadway Joe guy?"
I went to the Brown Barrel on S. Broadway and Bayaud with a friend from work quite a few times. My friends called me Coco. I won quite a few games in there.
Bob and I think his wife was named Kathy owned it.
This was about '02 - '05.