Orcullo vs Woodward

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty much even... it lied so far...

Yeah not sure what happened to match up odds maker on the fargorate site. I guess you have to download the app? Either way, Dennis is an 816 and Woodward is a 797. I believe the system equated every 100 point difference is a 2:1 game advantage. So a fair race to 100 between a 800 and a 700 would be 100 to 50. 50 point gap in ratings I guess woould then be a race of 100 to 75. 25 point gap would be 100 to 88. There is practically a 20 point gap between them so a fair race might actually be 8-10 games on the wire for Woodward.

I think the actual gap right now is around 14 games. So it's not that far off if they maintain this pace.

Last edited:

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is breaking better? Or is it just Dennis is that much better after the break.

Both players are getting the one in side pretty regular. Dennis really had it dialed in early yesterday making the one and getting position on the two in the upper corner. Sky’s still hitting it slightly harder trying to get the two down by the side. Neither player has been able to lay it down consistently over long stretches but Dennis has been having the more consistent results.
The 3 point rule is coming into play occasionally for both players. Even hitting the balls with decent speed and making the one, weird kisses happen and they turn the table over.
Sky just looks out of form. Ring rust and new equipment maybe. Hes had opportunities to make up ground but has had a ton of unforced errors on fairly routine racks that kills his momentum.
Dennis has been super solid since the end of day 1.

Last edited:

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both players are getting the one in side pretty regular. Dennis really had it dialed in early yesterday making the one and getting position on the two in the upper corner. Sky’s still hitting it slightly harder trying to get the two down by the side. Neither player has been able to lay it down consistently over long stretches but Dennis has been having the more consistent results.
The 3 point rule is coming into play occasionally for both players. Even hitting the balls with decent speed and making the one, weird kisses happen and they turn the table over.
Sky just looks out of form. Ring rust and new equipment maybe. Hes had opportunities to make up ground but has had a ton of unforced errors on fairly routine racks that kills his momentum.
Dennis has been super solid since the end of day 1.

To add on to this, Skylar has just plain missed some balls that he should never miss. A big turning point early on day 2 was when he followed the 8 ball into the pocket after he got too straight in. In another rack he had ball in had on the 1 and got ugly on the 2 ball. That entire rack was a textbook example of how not to play a rack of 9 ball. Bad ball in hand position and as a result of that every shot was like 7 feet long and on the wrong side. He ended up missing on the 7 or so and handed Dennis the game. Truth is the score could easily be 20+ game difference at end of day 2.

Last edited:

tuffstuff07

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky supposedly has been using the carbon shaft for awhile. There was an interview where he said that it was made to his specs

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add on to this, Skylar has just plain missed some balls that he should never miss. A big turning point early on day 2 was when he followed the 8 ball into the pocket after he got too straight in. In another rack he had ball in had on the 1 and got ugly on the 2 ball. That entire rack was a textbook example of how not to play a rack of 9 ball. Bad ball in hand position and as a result of that every shot was like 7 feet long and on the wrong side. He ended up missing on the 7 or so and handed Dennis the game. Truth is the score could easily be 20+ game difference at end of day 2.

Well that is also simply Dennis being Dennis, and Sky being Sky. Dennis is far a superior player, and that means he misses less. The only reason Sky might have had a chance this match is he had some sort of breaking gimmick. Well, how did that work out for Corey vs Shane, then Mills vs Shane, and now Sky vs Dennis. The superior player almost always wins, regardless of breaking gimmicks.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
3 Point Beak Rule

For those not familiar with it, they are using the WPA 3 point break rule . It's interesting. A total of three balls must either be pocketed on the break or pass/touch the head string. If that doesn't happen, the opponent has a choice to shoot or pass the shot back.

If the opponent chooses to take the shot, they can't push out. If they give back the shot, the breaker can push out.

In my opinion, while this eliminates the soft break (which is the intention) it adds an element of luck to the break. Some pretty hard breaks have resulted in fouls and loss of the game.

With the 9 racked on the spot, it would be a lot easier to pocket the one in the side with a soft break, so I understand why this rule is needed. Also, they are racking the two in the back every time. I assume this is required as well.

I haven't played with WPA rules but it sounds like this will be more common from now on.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those not familiar with it, they are using the WPA 3 point break rule . It's interesting. A total of three balls must either be pocketed on the break or pass/touch the head string. If that doesn't happen, the opponent has a choice to shoot or pass the shot back.

If the opponent chooses to take the shot, they can't push out. If they give back the shot, the breaker can push out.

In my opinion, while this eliminates the soft break (which is the intention) it adds an element of luck to the break. Some pretty hard breaks have resulted in fouls and loss of the game.

With the 9 racked on the spot, it would be a lot easier to pocket the one in the side with a soft break, so I understand why this rule is needed. Also, they are racking the two in the back every time. I assume this is required as well.

I haven't played with WPA rules but it sounds like this will be more common from now on.

Perhaps someone else can chime in but I think you have this backwards. If they give it back, the breaker cannot push.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Not looking good for Mikey Frost...he got 18 games on the wire.

I got 22 on the wire too....I'm rooting for a very late push. Dennis is in God mode, I haven't really seen anyone play as well as he has in some spurts today. He's got the rock on a string. I applaud Sky for not getting an oxygen mask or streaking...I'd be naked with an O2 tank all the heat I'd be taking.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I admire Bergman and Skylar for taking a shot at Orcullo, but they should probably match up with each other. That would be a great match- basically a pick em