Will the US Open really make it this year?

Dr. Dissent

Best Doctor in Town
Silver Member
Info about the 2013 US Open 9 Ball Championship.

Found this posted at Facebook, apparently 6 hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/usopen9ball?fref=ts

If for some reason the link does not work, this is what I found:

Hey Everyone! We hope that you all are doing great. We are in search for the PERFECT venue for the 2013 U.S. Open, as you all deserve the very best. The PERFECT venue will have ONE ballroom! ☺ Please be patient with us and we will keep you posted. We are in negotiation with a few great places and we will have an update by April 5th.

Thank you all!
Barry and Shannon
Proud Promoters

Last edited:

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Here, I fixed it for ya'll.

Hehehe (couldn't resist)

Hey Everyone! We hope that you all are doing great. We are in search for the PERFECT venue for the 2013 U.S. Open, as you all deserve the very best. The PERFECT venue will have ONE ballroom to accommodate 32 of the top 1,428 amateurs in the country! ☺ Please be patient with us while we pay off last year in Wheatbucks and we will keep you posted. We are in negotiation with a few unwary businesses and we will have more smoke and mirrors by April 5th.

Thank you all!
Barry and Shannon
Proud Promoters

KK9 <-- just pokin fun, and hopes somehow they can pull it off!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know a couple of tournament directors who won't be going back. And very doubtful any foreign players (China, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines) will be attending. After that it's pick'em to see who wants to gamble on getting paid. I won't be recommending this event to anyone I talk too. IF it even happens!

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
Maybe this is a golden opportunity...???

I know a couple of tournament directors who won't be going back. And very doubtful any foreign players (China, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines) will be attending. After that it's pick'em to see who wants to gamble on getting paid. I won't be recommending this event to anyone I talk too. IF it even happens!

Maybe, just maybe...this could be a golden opportunity to restore the game in this country to a lofty position. Maybe this could breathe life back into the game. Maybe some new young blood will come out of the backwoods or the basement....It is called the U.S. OPEN, shouldn't it be the best players in the U.S. only? I know some state titles can only be held by a resident of that state. Why not make the U.S. OPEN the U.S. OPEN? Just a thought........:idea:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

After last year's public debacle, it would be like trying to sell stale-dated fish. I personally don't think it's viable. Maybe if all the cash is posted in a trust fund UP FRONT to show the promoters have some ability to produce, before entry fees are collected.

I hate to see it die. I would like to see someone reliable and fiscally responsible take it over.

Last edited:

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Maybe, just maybe...this could be a golden opportunity to restore the game in this country to a lofty position. Maybe this could breathe life back into the game. Maybe some new young blood will come out of the backwoods or the basement....It is called the U.S. OPEN, shouldn't it be the best players in the U.S. only? I know some state titles can only be held by a resident of that state. Why not make the U.S. OPEN the U.S. OPEN? Just a thought........:idea:

Yes, ban those foreign players! Ha! Take away the really great players and replace them with less than great players from the US. (with the exception of maybe 5 US players that is!) After all, then maybe a player from the US will win! But it might be Shane anyway!

Can't compete, ban other players. HaHaHa!

--Jeff

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seems flaky

How can there be any credibility when people may not have been paid from last year? Unless everybody's been paid, this escapes my comprehension.
Obviously, even if everybody got their money from last year, there has to be some way to put the prize money up front in escrow this time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That might be the US Men's professional championship, but it wouldn't be an open. I think it would be nice to have a US national championship -- I can't remember the last one (excepting the Juniors, that is).

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell even if you don't get paid if you were a great young player who could afford it I would attend just based on if it ever does return to its glory you could have won the US open (albeit in a watered down field) Take a page from the Amarillo Slim handbook he was the "world champion" in 72 has a place on the same wall as guys like doyle brunson, stu ungar, huck seed. he parlayed wiinning that event into a whole career to the avergae poker fan in 2004 did he know there was only 8 people in the event that slim won, or that slim actually didnt even win made a deal when it got to 3 handed doyle and puggy let him win? prestige of a title sometimes can pay dividends

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
I'm not likely to spectate or purchase any streams. Even though it doesn't effect me directly, BB needs to address the way he runs events before I'll support the US open again. Players need to get paid, and staff/fans respected.

bondsman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like golf, right? Look, I do not like Barry. I think he is a racist and I have never felt welcome in his pool hall. Right now this thrad was about even if anybody will come, and you want to exclude people who are already too smart to travel 6,000 mile to play.

I don't expect much support on what some will call the "race card". But talk to a few of the local black player and get their feedback. I am not a pool player. Just a long time fan of the sport and the players. But Barry is getting what he deserves. He asked another well known player/promoter for helpfor this year's open, but was adamant in that he must still control the money. Wonder why?

Last edited: