where do you guys look for inspiration for times in need

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I'm struggling in my game, and ive been working out alot latley and its effecting my stroke, and when I'm sore and tired I like to look at these videos for some inspiration, I think it can be applied to all walks of life, especially pool since this game can be so hard at times. don't know if you'll think its stupid or helpful, but I find it helpful when I'm struggling with my inner demons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaI_C4-280

Banks

Banned
Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" has always been very motivational for me.

http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

I started to read that years ago, but found it just too direct and stale.

My own inspiration usually comes in two forms..

inspiration.jpg

inspiration2.jpg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I just remember that I play pool for fun...at age 70, not too interested in the art of war, martial arts, or body building. Hey, fun is enough for me...takes my mind away from the other more serious (medical) issues that my wife & I deal with on a daily basis.

To concentrate on the shot, to be mindful of aim stance, stroke, grip, bridge...all of it.
It's a needed release for us.

Cindy was literally paralyzed and in the hospital on IV's in early February. It's a sheer joy to see her able to walk around a pool table with cue in hand today.

The quality of our game is secondary to that.

My advice would be to not take the game all that seriously but to just enjoy the moments...

Last edited:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whenever I'm a little down or depressed about a situation or whatever is going on in my life, I simply take a look at others that have much bigger and more significant problems than something as petty as how poor my pool stroke is, but still manage to keep a positive demeanor, act friendly or at least remain civil to other people, and keep pressing forward with a smile and hope for tomorrow...that's usually all the inspiration I need to pull my whiny butt out of a funk.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm struggling in my game, and ive been working out alot latley and its effecting my stroke, and when I'm sore and tired I like to look at these videos for some inspiration, I think it can be applied to all walks of life, especially pool since this game can be so hard at times. don't know if you'll think its stupid or helpful, but I find it helpful when I'm struggling with my inner demons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaI_C4-280

You trying to take the easy route! there is no easy way. You have to work harder on each shot, bare down find the focus aim on each hard key shot, actually all shots, ensure your stroke is 100% straight otherwise do not do any practice until then, practice pocketing for angles larger than 1/2 ball hit to full thin hit long range, do not waste your time hitting 2 and 3 diamond shots, those you will make with your eyes close. Once you get confident, no one will steal it from you, you will be king.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's only one place to look and that is in the mirror. All that other crap is just a temporary fix at best. Take a realistic look at what/where you are, decide where you want to be and then map a plan for what it will take to get there. Only you can decide if you have the discipline and work ethic to implement the plan. If you don't, accept what you are and be happy with it. Listening to a bunch of feel good BS isn't going to change squat.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
There's only one place to look and that is in the mirror. All that other crap is just a temporary fix at best. Take a realistic look at what/where you are, decide where you want to be and then map a plan for what it will take to get there. Only you can decide if you have the discipline and work ethic to implement the plan. If you don't, accept what you are and be happy with it. Listening to a bunch of feel good BS isn't going to change squat.

That covers it nicely!

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I just remember that I play pool for fun...at age 70, not too interested in the art of war, martial arts, or body building. Hey, fun is enough for me...takes my mind away from the other more serious (medical) issues that my wife & I deal with on a daily basis.

To concentrate on the shot, to be mindful of aim stance, stroke, grip, bridge...all of it.
It's a needed release for us.

Cindy was literally paralyzed and in the hospital on IV's in early February. It's a sheer joy to see her able to walk around a pool table with cue in hand today.

The quality of our game is secondary to that.

My advice would be to not take the game all that seriously but to just enjoy the moments...
great now I'm depressed that I have medical issues to look forward to. just kidding.
You trying to take the easy route! there is no easy way. You have to work harder on each shot, bare down find the focus aim on each hard key shot, actually all shots, ensure your stroke is 100% straight otherwise do not do any practice until then, practice pocketing for angles larger than 1/2 ball hit to full thin hit long range, do not waste your time hitting 2 and 3 diamond shots, those you will make with your eyes close. Once you get confident, no one will steal it from you, you will be king.
kinda what the video is about, but, thanks???
true, but it helps when you're sore from neck to feet, and you rather sleep in than wake up and go punish yourself more. sometimes a little push can help, and I wouldnt be working so hard to be happy with where Im at, but ur 100 percent correct

Whenever I'm a little down or depressed about a situation or whatever is going on in my life, I simply take a look at others that have much bigger and more significant problems than something as petty as how poor my pool stroke is, but still manage to keep a positive demeanor, act friendly or at least remain civil to other people, and keep pressing forward with a smile and hope for tomorrow...that's usually all the inspiration I need to pull my whiny butt out of a funk.
not that serious, just about being healthy and not giving up. I dont take it too serious, Im a fairly introspective person. believe me I know theres bigger problems out there.

Player Rick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For pool related "Down" time, I refer to just about any pro tournament on Youtube. Sooner or later a pro will mess up, missing an easy one, or playing really bad position. I say to myself "They ARE human"!! Which makes me feel better about my game, and allows me to take it a bit more lightly.

Any other time I'm just feeling down, I hug a dog. I have four and hugging one brings the other three. Dog piles with real dogs is the best!

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
For pool related "Down" time, I refer to just about any pro tournament on Youtube. Sooner or later a pro will mess up, missing an easy one, or playing really bad position. I say to myself "They ARE human"!! Which makes me feel better about my game, and allows me to take it a bit more lightly.

Any other time I'm just feeling down, I hug a dog. I have four and hugging one brings the other three. Dog piles with real dogs is the best!

lol, i think we all feel better with that.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the Chariots of Fire

?I have no formula for winning the race. Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within. "

al

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great now I'm depressed that I have medical issues to look forward to. just kidding.

kinda what the video is about, but, thanks???

true, but it helps when you're sore from neck to feet, and you rather sleep in than wake up and go punish yourself more. sometimes a little push can help, and I wouldnt be working so hard to be happy with where Im at, but ur 100 percent correct

not that serious, just about being healthy and not giving up. I dont take it too serious, Im a fairly introspective person. believe me I know theres bigger problems out there.

Sorry trinacria, the video is an excuse for you to run away from the hard work needed; by improving your stroke, and playing excellent pool you will be able to create a blocker between the outside world and yourself when playing pool. Especially at time of needs; Your wife and beloved ones thinks you are having a great time playing pool; might as well make it happen!

Good luck, sorry to be hard on you, but thought you need to hear it!

TCo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Herb Brooks

Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight we stay with them, and we shut them down because we can.

Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world.

You were born to be hockey players—every one of you, and you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em.

This is your time. Now go out there and take it!

Herb Brook - 1980

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're struggling with your game and you are looking for inspiration, try this:

Go watch a pool tournament live, even if it means traveling to get there. I don't mean a local handicapped event. I mean a scratch event where the level of play is high.

YouTube does not capture the energy you will feel by being in the room with the players. In fact, I think it's kind of sad the so many people miss out on that experience, because it's much easier to just turn on their computers to watch live streaming.

Being there is a whole different thing! It will give you a new joy for playing the game.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Sorry trinacria, the video is an excuse for you to run away from the hard work needed; by improving your stroke, and playing excellent pool you will be able to create a blocker between the outside world and yourself when playing pool. Especially at time of needs; Your wife and beloved ones thinks you are having a great time playing pool; might as well make it happen!

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If the video was some "100% foolproof aiming system", then fine it's an excuse. But everyone needs motivation to keep going sometimes.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member

i get what ur saying, but the video was about NOT running away, not sure if you saw it all. again, you are right in what ur saying, but i think u missed the point of the video. :p
PS: the video is not the 10 minute comercial with uma thurman with the therapist
If you're struggling with your game and you are looking for inspiration, try this:

Go watch a pool tournament live, even if it means traveling to get there. I don't mean a local handicapped event. I mean a scratch event where the level of play is high.

YouTube does not capture the energy you will feel by being in the room with the players. In fact, I think it's kind of sad the so many people miss out on that experience, because it's much easier to just turn on their computers to watch live streaming.

Being there is a whole different thing! It will give you a new joy for playing the game.

i have and i do, its a great environment to be in.

Last edited: