Shane and Ko: The Rivalry has been unfolded

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Rivalry is for real.

Both of these guys played like champions and either one was deserving of victory. 9 ball is an unpredictable game, and today, the fates favored Ko.

Ko and Shane have locked horns on two occasions in the past year, and every match between them has been hotly contested with the winner escaping by a narrow margin. Their sets are always white-knucklers and I feel they both have a strong mutual respect for each other's game.

For Shane fans, today was a bitter pill. However, this will make Shane focus and become an even better player and competitor. The next great rivalry is official, and it is ours to enjoy for the future.

Stay tuned.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm enjoying this more than Harriman Scmidt. Probably because in this one the fans are getting involved.

Its good to see Ko get some respect around here and not everyone is making excuses for Shane.

Maybe one day there will be a lot of fans of a lot of players and this place will be hopping with lively discussion after every tournament.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for this uplifting thread. The best thing that came out of this WPA World Championship was the escalation of an already fierce rivalry between two of the superelite players in the world.

Ko Pin Yi joins Darren Appleton as a world champion in both 9-ball and 10-ball. Ko also owns a Japan Open title and a US Open 10-ball.

All Americans know that Shane, too, is superelite, with four US Open 9-ball titles, multiple Derby City Master of the Table titles ..... and that ain't all.

Ko has had Shane's number over the past eighteen months, but the fact is that whenever these two magnificent players match up, the fans will always be the winners.

Not only will these two meet again soon, but you can be sure they'll meet with something big riding on it.

Thank you Shane and thank you Ko for such a wonderful display of great pool and we'll see you guys at the US Open 9-ball event next month.

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine if Ko dethrones Shane in the finals of the U.S. Open? THAT would be something extraordinary.

I would pay to see a (longer than 21) challenge match between these two. Maybe races to 25, best 4 out of 7 sets. That way the race to 100 gets covered as well.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Imagine if Ko dethrones Shane in the finals of the U.S. Open? THAT would be something extraordinary.

I would pay to see a (longer than 21) challenge match between these two. Maybe races to 25, best 4 out of 7 sets. That way the race to 100 gets covered as well.

Seriously I haven't felt that good watching pool in a long time. I really wanted SVB to get his first world 9 ball championship today. I hope they lock up every time they are in the same room and someone catches it.

For those that say Shane can't get the monkey off his back, I think it's safe to say that's not true anymore. He belonged in the spot he was in, he didn't luck his way there, he blew the doors off some top shelf guys.

I know people disagree but I really believe if SVB would have not had those 2 blowout victories prior to the finals he might be the champion right now. Either way, let these 2 play forever and I'm fine watching that.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rivalries have been advancing sports into legendary status forever.
Frazier vs Ali
magic Johnson vs Larry Bird
Yankees vs red Sox

Now we can welcome the next 10 years of our sport: Shane vs Ko - a rivalry that is globe spanning and marketable. Let's hope the sport knows what to do with this gold mine they have just been given.

Today we watched pocket billiards history become cemented in time.

Books will be written on these two guys in the future. Now start the exhibition matches marketing. Build these guys up and match them up under the bright lights of big cities like we did Minnesota Fats and Mosconi. The world will be watching if it's done right.

It's a fascinating story.

Last edited:

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rivalries have been advancing sports into legendary status forever.
Frazier vs Ali
magic Johnson vs Larry Bird
Yankees vs red Sox

Now we can welcome the next 10 years of our sport: Shane vs Ko - a rivalry that is globe spanning and marketable. Let's hope the sport knows what to do with this gold mine they have just been given.

Today we watched pocket billiards history become cemented in time.

Books will be written on these two guys in the future. Now start the exhibition matches marketing. Build these guys up and match them up under the bright lights of big cities like we did Minnesota Fats and Mosconi. The world will be watching if it's done right.

It's a fascinating story.

Agreed. somebody call Justin. Start a gofundme if we need to.

Again, this question is nagging my brain: what happens if Ko beats Shane again in the finals of the U.S. Open?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

Thank you Shane and thank you Ko for such a wonderful display of great pool and we'll see you guys at the US Open 9-ball event next month.

We have 127 games in our database between these two, and their overall record including all games is Ko 62 SVB 65.

We also have 52 games for which Jiaqing Wu has played one of these two, and Wu's record is 26 to 26 against the pair...

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have 127 games in our database between these two, and their overall record including all games is Ko 62 SVB 65.

We also have 52 games for which Jiaqing Wu has played one of these two, and Wu's record is 26 to 26 against the pair...

Thanks Mike, great info as always. This really shows how close theses guys are.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this uplifting thread. The best thing that came out of this WPA World Championship was the escalation of an already fierce rivalry between two of the superelite players in the world.

Ko Pin Yi joins Darren Appleton as a world champion in both 9-ball and 10-ball. Ko also owns a Japan Open title and a US Open 10-ball.

Error there. Not that Ko havent won a bunch of titles, but Ko won the CSI Invitational 10-ball challenge. Unless I'm completely mistaken, he never won the U.S Open 10ball.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

Seriously I haven't felt that good watching pool in a long time. I really wanted SVB to get his first world 9 ball championship today. I hope they lock up every time they are in the same room and someone catches it.

For those that say Shane can't get the monkey off his back, I think it's safe to say that's not true anymore. He belonged in the spot he was in, he didn't luck his way there, he blew the doors off some top shelf guys.

I know people disagree but I really believe if SVB would have not had those 2 blowout victories prior to the finals he might be the champion right now. Either way, let these 2 play forever and I'm fine watching that.

I hope this pushes the crew of players in the states to up their game. I think the only difference between SVB and the world is that all there other guys face tuff, stiff competition on a regular bases.

Come on young guns, get in the gym!

MikeyLittle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The information was already put out there that this rivalry is far from one sided just seems that way in recent memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the rivalry is very one sided right now

to become a rivalry inst it supposed to be back n forth?

Frazier beat Ali when they first met. Win by unanimous decision. No TKO.
The rivalry was started when the rematch was set.
Ali would go on to take the next two.

As per the stats above, Shane has the edge in racks played
Ko has the title win.

Next up the U.S.open. The Thrilla in Virginia!!!!

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The information was already put out there that this rivalry is far from one sided just seems that way in recent memory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That is like saying Shane only seems better than Earl based on recent memory.

Shane is what... mid 30's and Ko is early 20's? What were the ages of Ko and Shane for most of games fargorate has recorded?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is like saying Shane only seems better than Earl based on recent memory.

Shane is what... mid 30's and Ko is early 20's? What were the ages of Ko and Shane for most of games fargorate has recorded?

Shane 32
Ko pin yi 26

6 years difference isn't huge.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane 32
Ko pin yi 26

6 years difference isn't huge.

It is when one is 15 and the other 21

In recent years we have 3 matches I am aware of... Ko beating Shane in the challenge 21 to 17 I think, Ko beating Shane today 13 to what was it 10, then you have the match between them that should not even count because Ko did not want to play but he was forced to or he was told he would not get paid... that match should be thrown out imo.

Those three matches take up most of the recorded data Mike says he has recorded already. The other match must have been when they were young.

Last edited: