Tips

sciarco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its probably been beaten to death but here we go,layered tips or non layered which is better thanks.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Its probably been beaten to death but here we go...
layered tips or non layered.
Which is better thanks.
Single.
Pressed.
More Consistent.
More Durable.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its probably been beaten to death but here we go,layered tips or non layered which is better thanks.

Pressed single layered tips (preferably milkduds).

They don't mushroom, they don't glaze, and you can tip pik them worry-free.

Edit: I also find they seem to last longer for me (I don't know why) And I find with single layered, they seem to get better the more you play with them.

Re-edit: I don't think they will ever play as well as a fresh multi-layered tip, but overall I'd trade the small lack of performance, for everything else.

Last edited:

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Currently using ultra skin SIB pro. No issues. Actually I've never had a layered tip come apart. I do occasionally like to use triangles though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single layer, LePro, Triangle, or Pooldawg8 Milkduds only for me. I do have 3 or 4 of the original Chandivert Champions put up, with 1 installed on 1 of my shafts. I've wasted plenty of time & $$$ on that layered nonsense!

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to the Cyborg Quick Medium multi layer. I love it. So far no issues.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Years ago I would have said Moori and a few other layered tips were good. Now, I don't think so, as they glaze over too quickly. A good dense Triangle is now my choice, and I don't see that changing.

All the best,
WW

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you ask 100 players you will get 50 different answers.

You can't just ask about layered or not, there are a dozen major categories in each one along with another dozen minor categories such as pressed, treated, small hardness variations, number of layers, types of leather used.. Just like with shafts, there is no better or best, there is what you like the hit of and how it works with how you play.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a long time non-layered tip guy. I prefer the durability and the consistency of a one piece tip over time compared to a layered tip.

Recently I tested a new cue and it came with an Ultraskin hard tip. I have played this cue 4 to 5 times a week for the last 3 or 4 months. This tip has been outstanding -- actually pleasantly surprised.

No mushroom, no glazing, and a few turns of the Williard and it's just perfect and holds chalk well. This tip completely out performs Kamui, or for that matter any layered tip I have ever owned. I have never owned a Zen or a G2, but have heard a number of good players talk favorably about them both.

The vast majority of layered tips in my opinion are nothing but junk, and sometimes expensive junk.

If I were you, or someone looking for the 'right tip,' I would test Pooldawg's milk dud and Renfro's ki-tech. They are both fantastic one piece tips.

I would also test the Zen, G2 and the Ultraskin layered tips and make a decision. In my opinion you would be selecting from the best tips available today.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I shot Moori M's since I started playing, along with Kamuis and Snipers, and I always thought they were the best. Then I changed my game around a couple of years ago. I'm relying less on slow spinning etc..play a more firm game, like a hybrid of the two styles. At that time I ditched the expensive and temperamental layered tips. I just got fed up by all the issues, glazing, changing hardness, and IMO inconsistent behavior of the cueball.

I now have a LePro on my main playing shaft. A couple of shafts have home made milk duds on them. These are single layer tips and I get just as much spin as before, but more controlled. Best of all they cost a FRACTION of what the layered tips cost. My cueball control is better and I rarely think of the tip at all. I just chalk normally and scuff every now and then. My tips seem to last forever, I never have to take a lot away, because the top layer hardned, like I had to many times with the Mooris, Kamuis, Snipers and all the other expensive junk tips.

Now and then I try friends shaft which tend to have layered tips on them. I think they feel funny. I used to shy away from certain shots, because they'd eventually ruin my tip. I rarely shot jumpshots full cue, even though I easily could, because they'd ruin my 20 dollar tip. Now I use my LePro and don't worry, I'm shooting all the shots: jumps, masses, power shots, you name it. . Should I ruin it, then big deal, I'll just install another, but that never happens. All that happens is that the tip is very slowly hardening, but it's still just as playable as before. Some would say LePros even get better as they harden. Personally I wouldn't go that far, but they are just as good, just slightly different. And Milkduds are winning several of my friends over. They just work and there is rarely any fuss with them.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Milkduds

Pooldawg for President

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 705

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always played with a Moori medium before the 10 year layoff. Now I'm currently figuring out what I like. I know I don't like Kamui's. The Moori medium I have on my main player and feel it's hard. I've got a Precision medium I'm trying out on another cue and find it a little soft but I only used it for a couple hours of playing. This could change with more use. As of now I prefer the Moori. I also just ordered 2 of Richard Harris' new tips in medium hard. I'll give them a try. I've yet to try a milk dud.

MalibuMike

Banned
The Best Tips I have ever played with....

Dennis Searing's Precision Tips! Like a cross between a old Moori and a G2, these tips are awesome! Everyone I have seen try one has switched, even hardcore Tailsmen, Ultraskin, Zan, Onyx, Sniper, G2, Moori, Kamuii, users!
I like the Mediums, some like the Hards. Have not tried the soft ones yet.
They hold there shap, hardly ever gloss over if you use the right chalk, Taom Chalk works great on them! If you buy them directly from Dennis Searing
they are only $10 each. I have seen them go for $35 on other sites!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 611
  • 1479094282.jpg
    1479094282.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 596
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 603

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried the Precision, didn't like them.

Back to my trusty Triangle.

For me nothing beats them.

Single layer, virtually zero maintenance and the feel you get from the hit is unmatched.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
You know, every time a new layered tip comes out, they claim to have solved all the problems with the layers and glue, but guess what: They cannot. The technology itself is flawed. The glazing and inconsistency in behaviour is inherent in the design itself. For cue shafts the lamination technology is actually pretty good. I don't personally like them anymore, but they are consistent and perform well, though they feel dead. Tips on the other hand...When the layer of leather is so thin, funny things happen to it. It hardens quickly and tends to glaze, not to speak of delamination and various glue issues...No other solution than to take some of the tip off. Every time you do that, the cycle gets shorter until you have no tip left. I would recommend a super expensive layered tip to only one type of player: The kind who wants maximum spin with minimum effort AND is willing to change tips every fourteen days. That's what it takes to get consistent, perfect behavior. I'd rather have a tip that does the exact same thing for 3 years at maybe 95'% of the performance of a new layered tip, than one who is brillant for fourteen days and then sucks more and more until you have to cut it off 6 months later. Control and consistency are much more important to me and I'm not changing tips every fourteen days.

Eventually they will be replaced by some kind of synthetic material, but in the mean time I'm sticking with single layer leather. You can always trust a good single layer tip not to give you any surprises. Since I quit using layered tips, I almost completely quit overdrawing my cueball. I miscue less often as well. I can still power draw just as well, I just don't get the mega draw unexpectedly anymore. Everything is more controllable, including sidespin, and I don't have to contend with tips that are so soft they move on contact. Kamui SS actually feels like a pencil eraser to shoot with...Some of the hardest layered tips are actually close to impossible to apply chalk to (apart from gimmick chalk that ruins the cloth) unless you scuff like a maniac every 5 minutes. Aint nobody got time fo dat.

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
One of the problems I see with current multi-layer tips is.....
Too many layers.

Why do Tips have to be like modern shavers?
5 Blades on a Head!
SNL did a skit in the 90's about the silliness of a 20 blade shaver!
And another thing....Why so tall? Most people say they cut away almost half during install.
Less layers but thicker (obviously) would solve the glaze problem and still give a perception of consistency with layers.

Only Four, Five, Six Layers.
What do all of you think of less layers?
Would anyone buy these?
Or should we head down the road of 12, 14, 20 layers?

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Single.
Pressed.
More Consistent.
More Durable.

:deadhorse:

Bingo. Rarely have to touch them. Just play. Hard pressed Triangle. The bonus is they are about a buck apiece I wish they were a little more consistent from tip to tip though. Go ahead, spend $40 on a tip if you want.

Last edited:

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tip choice literally doesn't matter at all imho

as long as it's well groomed, holds chalk and you like the hit then it's all gravy

I use homemade milk duds and they're great