losing space in a move - smaller table? bumper pool?

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' table in my current home. I love it, but it doesn't get as much use as it once did - mostly just my solo practice games. I will have limited space after we move in about a month. I'm considering a few options, one may be an 8' table. Another idea was to pickup a bumper pool table to scratch my cue sports itch, since I will be closer to a hall that has 9' tables.

Anyone have thoughts? I have young kids, so getting outside the home to play will be infrequent. Although, playing anyone other than myself at home will probably also be pretty infrequent. I enjoy playing while watching a ball game or turning some records, but having an opponent is pretty rare.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go for a 7 foot before 8.

The bumper table is an interesting thought.

If you go watch some youtube videos there are some impressive things to see on bumper pool. But I don't know that the skills translate well to pool except in very specific circumstances like short jump shots and creative ways getting out of tight spots.

I almost bought a 1950's very well made bumper table a couple years ago. Now wish I had. Turns out it was a rare bird. And I would love to try getting good at it.

Personally I would consider a good 7 foot table.

8 foot tables play too different IMHO.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago I was tight for space...came close to buying a 3x6 table. There's nothing wrong with a 7 or 8 ft table.

Bumper pool is fun and challenging.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far!

Interesting thought on the 7 foot over the 8 foot. I played on a lot of 7 footers - my parents had one while I was growing up, and I played on them in bars through college (I earned a lot of free drinks that way!). I fear going from a 9 to a 7 might be too big a leap.. but I'll put some time on my parent's table the next time I visit to see if I can get a feel for how it compares.

I did checkout some of the youtube videos on bumper pool. It looks like it could be fun. I don't know anyone that has one that I could give a try though, so it would be a leap of faith of sorts.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eight

8 foot table for sure. You never know when the urge to play will hit. Once in your blood it is always there.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9' table in my current home. I love it, but it doesn't get as much use as it once did - mostly just my solo practice games. I will have limited space after we move in about a month. I'm considering a few options, one may be an 8' table. Another idea was to pickup a bumper pool table to scratch my cue sports itch, since I will be closer to a hall that has 9' tables.

Anyone have thoughts? I have young kids, so getting outside the home to play will be infrequent. Although, playing anyone other than myself at home will probably also be pretty infrequent. I enjoy playing while watching a ball game or turning some records, but having an opponent is pretty rare.
It mainly depends on the room size you have. If you don't have at least 16'6" x 13', even a 7-footer may be out of the question, unless you don't mind using short cues for a bunch of your shots.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far!

Interesting thought on the 7 foot over the 8 foot. I played on a lot of 7 footers - my parents had one while I was growing up, and I played on them in bars through college (I earned a lot of free drinks that way!). I fear going from a 9 to a 7 might be too big a leap.. but I'll put some time on my parent's table the next time I visit to see if I can get a feel for how it compares.

I did checkout some of the youtube videos on bumper pool. It looks like it could be fun. I don't know anyone that has one that I could give a try though, so it would be a leap of faith of sorts.

Bumper pool is not an easy game. But sure is fun learning the moves.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Spinning vinyl and playing pool, it doesn’t get much better than that.

You said you have young kids, do you have room for a 7’ & a bumper pool table?
That might work for everyone.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spinning vinyl and playing pool, it doesn’t get much better than that.

You said you have young kids, do you have room for a 7’ & a bumper pool table?
That might work for everyone.
If he's got room for both, he's got room for his 9-footer!

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If he's got room for both, he's got room for his 9-footer!

Maybe not, depends how the room is layed out. I had an “L” shaped basement with no room fo a 9 footer that you could have fit 2 7’ tables and a bumper pool table.

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit altogether if you can

this sounds like a great opportunity

spend the time with your wife and kids

i never met anyone who regretted this life
but pool is truly a waste

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or

Or incorporate your kids into playing Pool. Many on here have precious memories of
playing Pool with their Father when they were young.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quit altogether if you can

this sounds like a great opportunity

spend the time with your wife and kids

i never met anyone who regretted this life
but pool is truly a waste

There was a guy at my pool room when I was a youngster and he had a lot of insightful thoughts. Occasionally, he shared gold.

He told me, 'when you are lying on your deathbed, you aren't going to wish you had another day in the pool room, you are going to wish for another day with those you love'. Simply brilliant.

He also told me, 'if I had a pu$$y, I'd rule the world'. Also gold.:D

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Family

There was a guy at my pool room when I was a youngster and he had a lot of insightful thoughts. Occasionally, he shared gold.

He told me, 'when you are lying on your deathbed, you aren't going to wish you had another day in the pool room, you are going to wish for another day with those you love'. Simply brilliant.

He also told me, 'if I had a pu$$y, I'd rule the world'. Also gold.:D

Next to my immediate family the best times of my life were 15 years traveling to Major Tournaments with my late friend John O' Neil . It was Pool that reunited us in 1994
I think about those memories everyday not only the trips but our times at Northfield
Poolroom. It is different for everyone I did see a lot of down and out guys in the
Poolroom maybe we were just able to enjoy both worlds family and Pool world
Without letting any of downside of Pool bring us down.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting thoughts, thanks all!

Almost all of my pool playing occurs at home these days. It's a game I played with both of my grandpas. My 4 year old daughter spends time on the table with me, both knocking around balls here and there, and building Legos. I don't think the table detracts from family time in my case.

One of my favorite things about pool is that I consider it to be a "passive" game. Meaning, at least when I'm playing by myself, I can stop and take my time in between shots. Pinball, on the other hand, is a very active game.. I could spend 3 with focused attention per ball. For that reason I think pool (and darts) pairs really well with the spectating of football and baseball (and golf, or whatever). I don't really care to just sit there and watch a full baseball game on most nights (at least not all 162 of them!), so another activity helps me actually feel like I'm NOT wasting my time as much.

I certainly have some thinking to do. My 9' table has a solid box, and it was near impossible to get it into the basement. I'm not really sure I can get it out, so that probably means I'll have to invest a pretty significant amount of money to get another. I might have to look into cutting the box and reassembling it later... it's not a great table (olhausen with veneer), and I actually like that - I don't stress at all when kids play on it, or someone spills something.