$69.54 per rack

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
Here's some useless trivia.
Back in 1979 When I first started playing I used to sit and watch Dick McGivern and Ronnie Moen play $20 a rack on a bar table big cueball all night long till the sun came up, in todays money that would be $69.54 :D

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Back in 1979 When I first started playing I used to sit and watch Dick McGivern and Ronnie Moen play $20 a rack on a bar table big cueball all night long till the sun came up, in todays money that would be $69.54 :D

Dick played pretty good with the big ball, but I'm guessing Ronnie got there in the end. Was this in Dick's poolroom up there?

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
Where was this

middleofnowhere

Registered
You know what's funny. Many older players seem to adjust their pool stories to keep up with today's dollars. I guess saying I was playing so and so for $10. a game sounds kind of cheap. It seems to become $100.00a game when retold.

Even in Freddie's book he tells a story playing a guy for $2500.00. I was there, they were playing for $400.00. a good bet at the time.
I once went on a trip and I doubt I played for more then $10.00 the whole trip. More like $3. and $5. I bought a new car cash when I got back with the proceeds.
Gas was like $.35 a gallon and a motel maybe $6.00 a nite. A very different time.

Years later I was in a diner and a guy came over to me and said he remembered me. He was the car salesman. He said he has told the story about me a lot of times. He never had a customer come in and pay cash for a car in $5 $10 and $20 dollar bills.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You know what's funny. Many older players seem to adjust their pool stories to keep up with today's dollars. I guess saying I was playing so and so for $10. a game sounds kind of cheap. It seems to become $100.00a game when retold.

Even in Freddie's book he tells a story playing a guy for $2500.00. I was there, they were playing for $400.00. a good bet at the time.
I once went on a trip and I doubt I played for more then $10.00 the whole trip. More like $3. and $5. I bought a new car cash when I got back with the proceeds.
Gas was like $.35 a gallon and a motel maybe $6.00 a nite. A very different time.

Years later I was in a diner and a guy came over to me and said he remembered me. He was the car salesman. He said he has told the story about me a lot of times. He never had a customer come in and pay cash for a car in $5 $10 and $20 dollar bills.
Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I played a lot of pool, a really good day was winning fifty bucks. If you "only" made twenty or thirty on most days you were doing just fine. I played a lot of $2 9-Ball, pay after $10. $5 a game was getting serious and five ahead for 50 was a big game! Typical One Pocket action was five or ten a game and twenty was a big game. You could win $100 playing for twenty a game, a big score. My fully furnished single apartment cost me $25 a week, utilities were paid and they cleaned it once a week. I had over a thousand in my bank account and a few hundred walking around money, so I was holding good!

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember:

Races to 5 for $5 were “warmup” pool.

Races to 5 for $20 were “pay attention” pool.

Races to 7 for $50 were “B players and above” pool

Races to 11 for $100+ was “Action”

Edit: These days $100 pool is a race to 11 for the time…..

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Today, paying cash for a car will get the Feds involved.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I played a lot of pool, a really good day was winning fifty bucks. If you "only" made twenty or thirty on most days you were doing just fine. I played a lot of $2 9-Ball, pay after $10. $5 a game was getting serious and five ahead for 50 was a big game! Typical One Pocket action was ten a game and twenty was a big game. You could win $100 playing for twenty a game, a big score. My fully furnished single apartment cost me $25 a week, utilities were paid and they cleaned it once a week. I had over a thousand in my bank account and a few hundred walking around money, so I was holding good!
And table time was still likely $1 an hour, or less.
BTW: I had never encountered the ‘#-ahead’ match routine before the early 90s, when a stranger watching me play 9 ball pitched me “10-ahead for $100”. I thought THAT would likely take forever, so I bore down and beat him ‘10-flat’. He walked away talking to himself.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Today, paying cash for a car will get the Feds involved.
This was like 1971. I bought a new VW. I think it was around $2100 with a sun roof. Now that I am thinking about it, it was a 1972 Super Beetle, the car had just come out.

Remember when the end of the year the new cars hit the show rooms. It was like a big deal to see the new models.

Those VWs were great, I must have had 5 of them over the years. I had a VW bus I took on the road. You could live in it. Fond memories.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny how money loses value over time.

Hold on to your hats!🤠 Big inflation is coming-it’s here actually. I was just in Monaco (one of the richest places in the world) and going out to eat there was cheaper than LA for comparable places at all price points. Property there is 10X more than LA in any case.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i bought my first house for cash. realtor said it was the first he ever heard of at the time.

when a teenager i played for 3 bucks a game only with those i would win almost every game.
normally 5,10, or 20. few would bet more than 20 unless you had no chance and was sick that day and with a broken leg.

middleofnowhere

Registered
i bought my first house for cash. realtor said it was the first he ever heard of at the time.

when a teenager i played for 3 bucks a game only with those i would win almost every game.
normally 5,10, or 20. few would bet more than 20 unless you had no chance and was sick that day and with a broken leg.
I've never financed a car I always pay cash but of course it's a check. In my story when I said i payed for the new car in cash, it was actually, cash, five tens and twenties.

When I was a teenager ring games were a big thing both 9 ball and pill pool. There was one 24 hour pool room near me that had a cheap pill pool game that never stopped. The average ring 9 ball game was quarter and a half or half and a dollar. Even as a teenager I was a good player and could beat most of the players in my town regardless of age.

I knew where all a good ring games were for some 40 miles around and I would haunt these places. It's incredible how much money you can win in a cheap ring game if the game lasts long enough and there's enough players in and out. Ultimately though I was pretty much barred from all these games.

And rightfully so. These were for the most part just average players playing to enjoy themselves. I'm obviously there to win money.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I recall stopping in way home from work after 10pm, at North Hollywood Billiards.

People were alway playing for what I call big money, road players were alway there when Hollywood Part & Sana Anita had racing.

These people were rare bread winning at pool in a night what I made in month, then going to track, and seldom winning.

Next nite cycle would replete.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a 1969 Mustang fastback Boss 302 in 1973 for $1,300 with 23,000 miles on it😅 it was considered a gas hog, at the time gas was .25cts a gallon😉
Cool. I had same car...mine was pretty ratty though and not original motor.

1986 or so for me.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall stopping in way home from work after 10pm, at North Hollywood Billiards.

People were alway playing for what I call big money, road players were alway there when Hollywood Part & Sana Anita had racing.

These people were rare bread winning at pool in a night what I made in month, then going to track, and seldom winning.

Next nite cycle would replete.
Horses stay hungry!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of OT, but since we are talking it..

Mustang or Corvette?

Fatboy<——never has driven a Corvette