Recommendations for a beginning one pocket book?

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,

Is "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" appropriate for beginners? Or, should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Hi,

Is "One Pocket: A Game of Controlled Aggression" appropriate for beginners? Or, should I look elsewhere?

Thanks.

It's considered the best book on the subject....Hands Down.

Well worth the $$

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
2 1 P BOOKS ….
" Winning 1 pocket
SHOTS, MOVES, STRATEGIES
Both very well written,
by some of the BEST 1 P Players
a little expen$ive

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a person gambles even in low stakes, book cost shouldn't matter.

Even at $10 a game, a player may very well lose more in one or two sessions than the books will cost.

Buy the books, study and use them and you'll make all your money back very quickly from the less experienced (players that think the books are too expensive).

Don't be one of those players that think they are paying their dues by donating to people that can't teach.

Jeff

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If a person gambles even in low stakes, book cost shouldn't matter.

Even at $10 a game, a player may very well lose more in one or two sessions than the books will cost.

Buy the books, study and use them and you'll make all your money back very quickly from the less experienced (players that think the books are too expensive).

Don't be one of those players that think they are paying their dues by donating to people that can't teach.

Jeff
Well, yes, but... He is looking at a $500 investment (minimum) to get both of Robin's books if he's in the right place at the right time. The cheapest I can find them for right now is $1025 for the pair. He can certainly resell them but that's a lot to put out there.

Koehler's book is fairly basic and will get a beginner started. George Fels has a brief section on one pocket in his Mastering Pool book. I think he may as well get Tom Wirth's book now, skim it for what makes sense for his current level and then reread it as his game develops.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, yes, but... He is looking at a $500 investment (minimum) to get both of Robin's books if he's in the right place at the right time. The cheapest I can find them for right now is $1025 for the pair. He can certainly resell them but that's a lot to put out there.

Koehler's book is fairly basic and will get a beginner started. George Fels has a brief section on one pocket in his Mastering Pool book. I think he may as well get Tom Wirth's book now, skim it for what makes sense for his current level and then reread it as his game develops.

Fels book has a good bit of info on 14.1 also. This comes in handy for 1pkt also.
Tom Wirth's book is affordable.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Learn what NOT to do in a game. Executing some of the shots and moves in One Pocket, won't come without setting up shots and practicing them.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hey Bob. Good catch.

I agree $1,000+ is a lot to put out for a real cheap gambler.

I meant $100 a game. It would take a long time to recoup 1k at $10 a game unless he is stealing.

Having said that, even at $10 a game ....IMO, it's a good trade off.

Knowledge may be power but power usually means money.

The more I think about it the more I say even at $10 a game I would see a benefit of buying the books, upping my game and then resale the books.

IMO...it's a win/win.

Again, good catch sir!

Jeff

billy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Wirth -

Controlled Aggression, videos and the book

great place to start with a wonderful game

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Tom Wirth -

Controlled Aggression, videos and the book

great place to start with a wonderful game

You mean this one?

CFC8FCBD-881D-4157-9865-3AB16D75C976.jpeg

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you're looking to spend less than $25, Jack Koehler's "Upscale One Pocket" is a grear starter book. For another $25 (around $50 total) you can get a copy of "A Game of Controlled Agression", by Tom Wirth. I've had both books by Eddie Robin (Winning One-Pocket and Shots, Moves, and Strategies). Paid a good penny for them too back then. After getting Tom's book I sold both of those high dollar books. For me, I learned more from Tom Wirth's book than I learned from both of the big red books. And that's no knock to Eddie Robin's books. They are very good. I just got more from Tom's book.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the recommendations! Tom Wirth's book it is. Should I buy direct from him?

I just finished watching game 7 of Filler v. Chohan. What a game!

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Thanks for the recommendations! Tom Wirth's book it is. Should I buy direct from him?

I just finished watching game 7 of Filler v. Chohan. What a game!

If possible, buy it from him. Somewhere on the site is his email, I probably have it somewhere as well...if I come across it, I'll post or PM it to you.