Dr. Dave 8-Ball RUN-OUTS and BREAK ADVICE

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that covers 8-ball (and 10-ball) break strategy, and demonstrates 20 8-ball run-outs with detailed commentary. Check it out:

If you disagree with any of my shot or pattern choices, please post your ideas. Be sure to include the MM:SS timestamps and explain what you would have done differently.

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that covers 8-ball (and 10-ball) break strategy, and demonstrates 20 8-ball run-outs with detailed commentary. Check it out:

If you disagree with any of my shot or pattern choices, please post your ideas. Be sure to include the MM:SS timestamps and explain what you would have done differently.

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy,
Dave
Nice.. Thanks you

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A suggestion: could you wait a couple of beats after the balls stop rolling on the break, so that we can freeze the video and find a pattern of attack, as suggested, before you start diagramming what you did? In the video, the balls are still rolling after the break when the highlighted balls, diagrams, or commentary begin.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A suggestion: could you wait a couple of beats after the balls stop rolling on the break, so that we can freeze the video and find a pattern of attack, as suggested, before you start diagraming what you did? In the video, the balls are still rolling after the break when the highlighted balls, diagrams, or commentary begin.
Good suggestion. I'll be sure to do that if I do similar videos in the future.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Time 8:34 :: Could you see the 15 in the side from your position?
I am fairly certain the 2 blocked a look at the 15. However, in retrospect, I probably should have shot the 2 in the side and run the solids. That long combo was too tough a shot, even though I was lucky to make it. The solids were definitely run-able; although, the 9 blocking the corner would have made the 3 and 6 a little tricky.

What would you have done? If shooting solids, what pattern would you or others take?

Regards,
Dave

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am fairly certain the 2 blocked a look at the 15. However, in retrospect, I probably should have shot the 2 in the side and run the solids. That long combo was too tough a shot, even though I was lucky to make it. The solids were definitely run-able; although, the 9 blocking the corner would have made the 3 and 6 a little tricky.

What would you have done? If shooting solids, what pattern would you or others take?

If the 15 was visible, I would have shot it into the side with a bit a draw taking the CB into the 3 or 14 for a shot on the 9.

If the 15 was not visible, I would have started with the 2.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the 15 was visible, I would have shot it into the side with a bit a draw taking the CB into the 3 or 14 for a shot on the 9.

If the 15 was not visible, I would have started with the 2.
Thats probably what I should have done also. That long combo was way too risky.

Regards,
Dave

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow. Thank you Dave!

I'm only four racks in but I'm blown away. First of all, the nuance about the second row balls going higher or lower with high/low is probably worth four figures to me. It is so obvious once you point it out and I know I've wondered if spin transferred past the head ball but I didn't really know how dramatic it was. I can't thank you enough.

Follow up question on this- in my experience moving the cue ball closer to center brings them higher, breaking from closer to the first diamond sends them lower. Is this correct? I'd love your thoughts on this.

Another one that is tricky is the 9 ball on the spot break from the rail. Then you're blending in thickness of the hit on the one ball which changes how much spin transfers to the one ball when playing it for the side. I'd love a video on this break!

As for the run outs, man, you're a beast of a player. People can say you have numerous takes but there is no way you can run the balls out that cleanly that many racks and not be a stone killer. It is cool to see all of the hard work and knowledge come together into really fine artistic run outs. I loved your opening shot in rack one. And while I agree the opening combo was a little ambitious you must be solid as a rock to ever feel good on that shot. And you ginned it!

Amazing from start to middle (that's as far as I got so I can't say finish yet ;) ). Thank you again Dave!

giulichajari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friends always told me 8 ball would be playing by sectors. So you have shorter shoots.
But there is no a general theory i think.

Enviado desde mi SNE-LX3 mediante Tapatalk

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friends always told me 8 ball would be playing by sectors. So you have shorter shoots.

There is a general theory espoused by "Play Your Best Eight Ball": Philip B. Capelle

1) Pick a group based on clusters and problem balls.
2) choose a shot to get the run started
3) choose the key ball to get on the 8
4) from the first shot make a position plan to make 3 shots in a row
5) towards the key ball make a plan to make the 2 balls leading to the key ball
6) connect the plan of (5) to the plan of (6) through the middle 2 balls
7) shoot the first ball.
8) make minor (or major) adjustments based on the position you obtain after each shot.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for putting this video together. Very helpful.

You play really well. Do you enter a lot of tournaments? (in pre-covid times) If so, how do you usually finish?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the delayed response. I was out all day yesterday.

Wow. Thank you Dave!
You're welcome! I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

I'm only four racks in but I'm blown away. First of all, the nuance about the second row balls going higher or lower with high/low is probably worth four figures to me. It is so obvious once you point it out and I know I've wondered if spin transferred past the head ball but I didn't really know how dramatic it was. I can't thank you enough.
I'm glad you learned something new again.

Follow up question on this- in my experience moving the cue ball closer to center brings them higher, breaking from closer to the first diamond sends them lower. Is this correct? I'd love your thoughts on this.
In my experience, breaking from off center (with a square hit) changes the angles and speeds of both 2nd-row balls some. One goes higher, and the other goes lower. The off-center approach also gives the 1 a chance to go to the upper corner.

Another one that is tricky is the 9 ball on the spot break from the rail. Then you're blending in thickness of the hit on the one ball which changes how much spin transfers to the one ball when playing it for the side. I'd love a video on this break!
On VENT-I, Bob and I cover in detail strategy and ball-direction effects for both 9-ball breaks (all variations, including 9-ball on the spot from the side and from "the box") and 10-ball breaks, but maybe I'll also do a YouTube video featuring the 9-ball-on-the-spot break.

As for the run outs, man, you're a beast of a player. People can say you have numerous takes but there is no way you can run the balls out that cleanly that many racks and not be a stone killer. It is cool to see all of the hard work and knowledge come together into really fine artistic run outs. I loved your opening shot in rack one. And while I agree the opening combo was a little ambitious you must be solid as a rock to ever feel good on that shot. And you ginned it!
I really appreciate the flattery, especially from a good player like yourself. Thanks!

Amazing from start to middle (that's as far as I got so I can't say finish yet ;) ). Thank you again Dave!
Thank you, and you're welcome.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. In my video, I mentioned pocketing balls in "groupings" a few times, but I think it is better to think about natural patterns rather than trying to force thinking into "groupings" or "sectors." Sometimes the best patterns move among "groupings" or "sectors."

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a general theory espoused by "Play Your Best Eight Ball": Philip B. Capelle

1) Pick a group based on clusters and problem balls.
2) choose a shot to get the run started
3) choose the key ball to get on the 8
4) from the first shot make a position plan to make 3 shots in a row
5) towards the key ball make a plan to make the 2 balls leading to the key ball
6) connect the plan of (5) to the plan of (6) through the middle 2 balls
7) shoot the first ball.
8) make minor (or major) adjustments based on the position you obtain after each shot.
That's a good list; although, I like to first look at what opening shots are available and how easy it is to get to and pocket the 8 from either group.

Regards,
Dave