The unfixable pool table

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been told by two technicians it is possible to shim the slate from underneath without dis-assembly. The correct way to to take it apart, level the slates but a small adjustment can be done from underneath.

My frustration is being told "it is the bes it can be and can not be fixed. My installer has 15 years experience". If I remember correctly he actually told me he knew the owner for 15 years but has only been working on tables for 3-5 years. I actually think it was 3.

But that doesn't matter. You don't have to be a technician to see if you have three flat surfaces which come together and the center one is a little bit higher then the other two, you have to lower the middle or raise the ends so they match up. It isn't a question of the slate being warped or rolling off, it is just like there is a piece of sand under the middle piece. In fact the table rolls true even across the ridge. It is only when a ball slowly approaches the edge at an angle that it rolls back. You literally cannot place a ball on the ridge and get it to stay there but it can roll up the ridge and go straight to the pocket without getting off. It is also only along one edge of the table. The ridge decreases as it goes across the table to almost nothing on the other side. This is all true for the matchup with both end pieces. One more than the other but raising them both a fraction would solve the problem.

BTW it isn't about money. I offered to pay them. I spoke with the mechanic listed for Arizona on this site and he said he would be glad to do it but has moved to Idaho and not updated his information here. He won't be back for a year. He offered to walk me through an external (underneath) fix but I wasn't comfortable doing it.

Hello Skip,

Sorry to hear about your table debacle. But what you are describing could be rectified by any competent table mechanic. Sadly one that doesn't know if he's worked on tables for 3 years or 5 years is either full of crap or sniffing too much glue.

That being said, I don't think you'll get a reputable mechanic to come shim the table without taking it apart and correcting all that is wrong with it. Assuming the center slate is correct, you can't just get under it and level the end slates without disrupting the wax at the joints. Had it been leveled correctly, then superglued and bondoed as suggested already, you could make slight adjustments to level it without disturbing the joint. This how I did my table and it has never needed to be adjusted. (4years)

So if money is not the object, find another mechanic. Every single one will tell you that they have done a million tables and they are the best. Get references and check them out. Then you can decide if you want to try and get a refund from the glue sniffer or just spend the time enjoying your pool table.

Good luck.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Resolution

I don't know if anyone is interested but I got my table fixed yesterday so thought I would post the solution.

I didn't realize all 3 pieces of slate had shims. I assumed only the low ones would have shims and the thickest or highest was already sitting on the table. In actuality, or at least in my case, all three sections had shims. The mechanic I hired to fix the other guy's mistake knew what to expect before he began. As soon as he took the cloth off he reached under the middle section and pulled the shims out.

He said "There is no way I should be able to pull these out without loosening the screws. The center section was not screwed down tight enough." So, instead of having to lift the two outside sections (as I guessed) he replaced the shims and tightened the screws for the middle section and it was perfect in five minutes.

It makes complete sense when you understand the middle had shims too. Use smaller shims or just tighten it down a little and bam, all is good. The table was already straight end to end, just had those two ridges.

I suspect the original shop owner knew what was wrong and was just unwilling to send someone 90 miles to fix the problem so told me it was everything except what it logically was. I posted a Yelp comment and praised the installer who fixed the issue and documented the experience of the one who did the original work. The original owner got notified of the Yelp post and called me in a rant. I asked him if anything I posted was not true. I mentioned I had given him over a month to correct the problem and offered to pay to have someone come out. He said if I had offered more or lived closer he would have done the right thing. I said "do you want me to put that in the Yelp review?" Finally he offered to refund the entire $1100 if I would delete the review. I told him I didn't want him to do that and wasn't looking to harm him. If he would pay the cost of the repair I would change the review. He did and I did. I mentioned the issue, said his crew was too busy to come back out but he paid for another crew to come out and fix the problem.

I think that was a fair resolution for everyone, it is just a shame it took pressure to make him do the right thing. At one point he actually blamed it on me for not threatening him with a negative Yelp review. I told him I don't threaten. I also had no idea the Yelp review would be that big a deal. I was just trying to save someone else the experience.

Thanks to all of the response you guys gave and the assurance it was a fixable issue. :)

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
KICK ASS!! I am happy you were diligent and did what you had to do. The owner of that place got your message! I assume from your posts that you did nothing more than tell the truth in an honest and professional manner. Happy to hear you resolved your issues.
Enjoy that table!

TFT

I don't know if anyone is interested but I got my table fixed yesterday so thought I would post the solution.

I didn't realize all 3 pieces of slate had shims. I assumed only the low ones would have shims and the thickest or highest was already sitting on the table. In actuality, or at least in my case, all three sections had shims. The mechanic I hired to fix the other guy's mistake knew what to expect before he began. As soon as he took the cloth off he reached under the middle section and pulled the shims out.

He said "There is no way I should be able to pull these out without loosening the screws. The center section was not screwed down tight enough." So, instead of having to lift the two outside sections (as I guessed) he replaced the shims and tightened the screws for the middle section and it was perfect in five minutes.

It makes complete sense when you understand the middle had shims too. Use smaller shims or just tighten it down a little and bam, all is good. The table was already straight end to end, just had those two ridges.

I suspect the original shop owner knew what was wrong and was just unwilling to send someone 90 miles to fix the problem so told me it was everything except what it logically was. I posted a Yelp comment and praised the installer who fixed the issue and documented the experience of the one who did the original work. The original owner got notified of the Yelp post and called me in a rant. I asked him if anything I posted was not true. I mentioned I had given him over a month to correct the problem and offered to pay to have someone come out. He said if I had offered more or lived closer he would have done the right thing. I said "do you want me to put that in the Yelp review?" Finally he offered to refund the entire $1100 if I would delete the review. I told him I didn't want him to do that and wasn't looking to harm him. If he would pay the cost of the repair I would change the review. He did and I did. I mentioned the issue, said his crew was too busy to come back out but he paid for another crew to come out and fix the problem.

I think that was a fai resolution for everyone, it is just a shame it took pressure to make him do the right thing. At one point he actually blamed it on me for not threatening him with a negative Yelp review. I told him I don't threaten. I also had no idea the Yelp review would be that big a deal. I was just trying to save someone else the experience.

Thanks to all of the response you guys gave and the assurance it was a fixable issue. :)

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks very much for following up! Many don't and it leaves you wondering what happened. I'm glad there's a happy ending to this, and that the original guy made good on our added expense. I confess I would have probably taken the $1,100! :)

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks very much for following up! Many don't and it leaves you wondering what happened. I'm glad there's a happy ending to this, and that the original guy made good on our added expense. I confess I would have probably taken the $1,100! :)

:) Just happy to have my table "perfect" for what I agreed to pay in the first place.

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It worked out as it should. The guy paid for his mistake and you got what you should: a properly set up table!

TFT

The guy didn't pay for his mistake. He bought silence for the fact he does crap work, then lies to the unsatisfied customer by saying the table is beyond repair!! Screw him!

If it was my table, and that con man wanted me to change my Yelp review, I'd tell him if he drives 90 miles back to the scene of the crime and pays me back a full cash refund, I'll be glad to change the Yelp review.

Then I would go on Yelp and add this to the existing review "the con man just payed me to change this review, to reflect what an outstanding business man he is, buyer beware!"

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Um, yeah he did. Whether he was "forced" to or not. I am in no way on the guys side. I am just happy the OP got his table fixed.

No need to drag this out any further. We now know how you would handle the situation, thanks for that.

To the OP: You are a gentleman and a patient one at that. Hat's off to you for making the situation right and ENJOY YOUR TABLE!!

TFT

The guy didn't pay for his mistake. He bought silence for the fact he does crap work, then lies to the unsatisfied customer by saying the table is beyond repair!! Screw him!

If it was my table, and that con man wanted me to change my Yelp review, I'd tell him if he drives 90 miles back to the scene of the crime and pays me back a full cash refund, I'll be glad to change the Yelp review.

Then I would go on Yelp and add this to the existing review "the con man just payed me to change this review, to reflect what an outstanding business man he is, buyer beware!"

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um, yeah he did. Whether he was "forced" to or not. I am in no way on the guys side. I am just happy the OP got his table fixed.

No need to drag this out any further. We now know how you would handle the situation, thanks for that.

To the OP: You are a gentleman and a patient one at that. Hat's off to you for making the situation right and ENJOY YOUR TABLE!!

TFT

Um, no he didn't.

Please don't suggest I can't post my opinion on a public forum unless my opinion is in agreement with yours, thanks for that.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Um, no he didn't.

Please don't suggest I can't post my opinion on a public forum unless my opinion is in agreement with yours, thanks for that.

:) You don't have to agree with me at all, but, from what the OP posted the facts are:
The original company paid for the repair. With all involved: Lies and forced to pay the OP back by bad yelp reviews, they made their client content with the situation by paying. The OP is now happy. IMO, what anyone else would do, me included, does not matter because the OP clearly stated what he did and I think he is a very smart guy. He got what he needed and is happy with his table.

TFT

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:) You don't have to agree with me at all, but, from what the OP posted the facts are:
The original company paid for the repair. With all involved: Lies and forced to pay the OP back by bad yelp reviews, they made their client content with the situation by paying. The OP is now happy. IMO, what anyone else would do, me included, does not matter because the OP clearly stated what he did and I think he is a very smart guy. He got what he needed and is happy with his table.

TFT

I don't agree with everything you say in your posts, but I've never once suggested that you stop posting your opinion.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I don't agree with everything you say in your posts, but I've never once suggested that you stop posting your opinion.

"No need to drag this out any further." <<<<-- this is an opinion. Take it or leave it.

Not trying to battle... The OP is happy and so am I! I hope you are as well. :)

TFT

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"No need to drag this out any further." <<<<-- this is an opinion. Take it or leave it.

Not trying to battle... The OP is happy and so am I! I hope you are as well. :)

TFT

Battle? How did a casual conversation morph into a battle?:)

You don't seem as happy as you'd like people to believe, IMO...take it or leave it:)

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do not know me at all. This is the Mechanics Forum and is business for me. I take my business seriously. :)

TFT:thumbup:

Oh that splains it, settle down, relax a little...don't take business so seriously!

You'll be alright.:thumbup:

I can't believe this whole time I thought you were the moderator:confused: