WPC 9 Ball 2000-2006 Top 8 records

ApoDra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am listing the results of the WPC from year 2000 to 2006 the records can be found in www.azbilliards.com for the top 8 players of each year for the Countries of USA, Philippines and Taiwan so you might get an idea of what is happening in the pool world... (I couldn't find previous results from 2000)

USA top 8 finishers: Total 8 times from 5 players Earl Strickland(3), Johny Archer(2),Corey Deuel, Jeremy Jones, Rodney Morris,
Philippines top 8 finishers: Total 11 times from 7 players Rodolfo Luat(2), Leonardo Andam, Francisco Bustamante(2), Efren Reyes, Alex Pagulayan(2), Marlon Manalo(2), Ronnie Alcano
Taiwan top 8 finisher: Total 15 times from 11 players Fong-Pang Chao(2), Chia Hsiung Lai, Ching-Shun Yang(2), Hui Kai Hsia, Pei-Wei Chang, Po Cheng Kuo(2), Chin-Ching Kang, Chia-Ching Wu(2), Kun-Chang Huang, Che-Wei Fu, Chun-Chiang Liu

I choose the WPC because IMO it is the biggest International tournament and has the toughest field of players. What I am seeing from the results especially in the last years that in every year I am expecting from a new Taiwanese player to go deep into the tournament up to the point of might winning it. I think these is what makes the difference between Taiwan and the other countries they have so mant new players coming up that I don't have to expect the favorite players to go deep I know some less known player will go far in the tournament.

Victor Chandler World Pool Championship
July 1-9, 2000
Cardiff International Arena
Cardiff, Wales

Place Player Name Prize Money
1st place Fong-Pang Chao $60,000.00 TAIWAN
2nd place Ismael Paez $30,000.00
3rd place Corey Deuel $15,000.00 USA
3rd place Earl Strickland $15,000.00 USA
5th place Rodolfo Luat $7,500.00 Philippines
5th place Johl Younger $7,500.00
5th place Peter F. Nielsen $7,500.00
5th place Steve Davis $7,500.00

Admiral World Pool Championship
July 14 - 22, 2001
Cardiff Wales

1st place Mika Immonen $65,000.00
2nd place Ralf Souquet $30,000.00
3rd place Alain Martel $17,500.00
3rd place Chia Hsiung Lai $17,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Leonardo Andam $8,500.00 Philippines
5th place Niels Feijen $8,500.00
5th place Jeremy Jones $8,500.00 USA
5th place Marcus Chamat $8,500.00

World Pool Championship
July 13 - 21, 2002
Cardiff Wales

1st place Earl Strickland $65,000.00 USA
2nd place Francisco Bustamante $30,000.00 Philippines
3rd place Takeshi Okumura $17,500.00
3rd place Ching-Shun Yang $17,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Kunihiko Takahashi $8,500.00
5th place Efren Reyes $8,500.00 Philippines
5th place Johnny Archer $8,500.00 USA
5th place Marcus Chamat $8,500.00

World Pool Championship
July 12 - 20, 2003
Cardiff Wales

1st place Thorsten Hohmann $65,000.00
2nd place Alex Pagulayan $30,000.00 Philippines
3rd place Earl Strickland $17,500.00 USA
3rd place Tony Drago $17,500.00
5th place Hui Kai Hsia $8,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Ching-Shun Yang $8,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Shin Young Park $8,500.00
5th place Francisco Bustamante $8,500.00 Philippines

World Pool Championship
July 10 - 18, 2004
World Trade Center, Taiwan

1st place Alex Pagulayan $75,000.00 Philippines
2nd place Pei-Wei Chang $35,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place Marcus Chamat $20,000.00
3rd place Po Cheng Kuo $20,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Chin-Ching Kang $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Johnny Archer $10,000.00 USA
5th place Fong-Pang Chao $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Marlon Manalo $10,000.00 Philippines

2005 World Pool Championship
July 2 - 10, 2005
Kaohsiung

1st place Chia-Ching Wu $75,000.00 TAIWAN
2nd place Po Cheng Kuo $35,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place Rodney Morris $20,000.00 USA
3rd place Marlon Manalo $20,000.00 Philippines
5th place Kun-Chang Huang $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Mika Immonen $10,000.00
5th place Thorsten Hohmann $10,000.00
5th place Nick Van Den Berg $10,000.00

World Pool Championship
November 4 - 12, 2006
Manila

1st place Ronnie Alcano $100,000.00 Philippines
2nd place Ralf Souquet $40,000.00
3rd place Che-Wei Fu $20,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place He Wen Li $20,000.00
5th place Chi Dung Luong $10,000.00
5th place Rodolfo Luat $10,000.00 Philippines
5th place Chun-Chiang Liu $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Chia-Ching Wu $10,000.00 TAIWAN

Last edited:

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Europe: 2 winners, Mika and Thorsten. Total 9 players who have finished top 8, in total 14 times.

Mika Immonen (2), Thorsten Hohmann (2), Ralf Souquet (2) (2 finals), Nick van den Berg, Marcus Chamat (3), Niels Feijen, Tony Drago, Peter Nielsen, Steve Davis

Marvel

Marvel - The Yogi Bear
Silver Member
Hey ApoDra!

You should take also year 1999, as it was the first year with Matchroomsport's WPC.

In the top 16 there were not many outside Asia. In the last 8 there were Steve Knight from Europe and Mike LeBron from USA.

Two players from Japan at last 8, filipinos and taiwanese playing each others at Semis.

1. Epren 60 000$

2. Hao Ping Chang 30 000$ Taiwan

3. Chao 15 000$

3. Bustimani 15 000$

5. LeBron 7.500$ USA

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Not looking good for Europe and America when looking at the picture attached

EDIT: Couldn't the picture larger, so put on your glasses and study it :D

Attachments

• wc.bmp
    75.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

ApoDra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roy Steffensen said:
Not looking good for Europe and America when looking at the picture attached

EDIT: Couldn't the picture larger, so put on your glasses and study it :D

Have you included in your chart for Asia the following players?
Takeshi Okumura Japan, Kunihiko Takahashi Japan, Shin Young Park Korea, He Wen Li China, Chi Dung Luong Vietnam.

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
ApoDra said:
Have you included in your chart for Asia the following players?
Takeshi Okumura Japan, Kunihiko Takahashi Japan, Shin Young Park Korea, He Wen Li China, Chi Dung Luong Vietnam.

Yup, I did... :eek:

John Barton

I think what this shows is that when the Taiwanese have more players in the field then they end up with more players in the top eight. Put an equal number of players from the pool powerhouses in the field and you will see different results.

Or - hold the WPC in the United States for the next 3 years and see what the results show then. I am confident that there will be more Americans in the top eight than when the tournament is held in Asia.

The USA has plenty of top players who can give the Taiwanese all they can handle. They just don't have the motivation to travel and play.

I have been around the world many times and seen players everywhere. Until there is a World Tour that all the players can compete on there will never be a true way to say which country has the best players overall other than personal feeling.

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
John Barton said:
I think what this shows is that when the Taiwanese have more players in the field then they end up with more players in the top eight. Put an equal number of players from the pool powerhouses in the field and you will see different results.

Or - hold the WPC in the United States for the next 3 years and see what the results show then. I am confident that there will be more Americans in the top eight than when the tournament is held in Asia.

The USA has plenty of top players who can give the Taiwanese all they can handle. They just don't have the motivation to travel and play.

I have been around the world many times and seen players everywhere. Until there is a World Tour that all the players can compete on there will never be a true way to say which country has the best players overall other than personal feeling.

Achu . . . . IPT, sorry can't control the sneeze.:D

ApoDra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Barton said:

If I remember correctly every year USA has about 10-11 spots for the WPC Taiwan and Philippines has also about the same spots and there are 10-11 open spots for the qualifier events, which the last 3 years they went to players from Taiwan and Philippines about an even share I think the most players was 17 for Taiwan and Philippines.

You can not even imagine how much I would like to see 10-11 playres from Taiwan competing in the US Open and see how much damage they could do, just to reverce your theorie.

If the WPC Title is not enough to motivate a pool player he is the wrong sport. Two things come in mind year 2002 and Earl Strickland dancing on top of the pool table and year 2004 Alex Pagulayan running around like crazy and doing backflips. Not to mention the $100.000 prize money and that you actually getting paid.

Sprite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Barton said:

Did u do your homework?

liany1003

Registered
Another statistics:

USA=13+13+13+11+13+12+9=84
Philippines=6+8+10+10+13+11+21=79
Taiwan=7+7+9+9+13+19+16=80

2000 (Cardiff)
USA (13) - Archer, Varner, Daulton, Matlock, Rempe, Strickland, Kucharo, Jones, Deuel, Hopkins, Coltrain, Davenport, Hoa
PHI (6) - Reyes, Kiamco, Bustamante, Luat, Andam, Pagulayan
Taiwan(7) - Chen, Chang, Hsia, Chao, Kuo, Yang, Wang

1st place Fong-Pang Chao $60,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place Corey Deuel $15,000.00 USA
3rd place Earl Strickland $15,000.00 USA
5th place Rodolfo Luat $7,500.00 Philippines

2001 (Cardiff)
USA (13) - Earl Strickland, Charlie Williams, Dan Basavich, Bill Stephen, Corey Deuel, George San Souci, Kim Davenport, Allen Hopkins, Johnny Archer, Jon Kucharo, Troy Frank, Jeremy Jones, Dee Adkins
PHI (8) - Ramil Gallego, Rodolfo Luat, Warren Kiamco, Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamente, Antonio Lining, Leonardo Andam, Alex Pagulayan
Taiwan(7) - Fong-Pang Chao, Shen-ping Pan, Hao-Ping Chang, Chia-Hsiung Lai, Chin Ching Kang, Ching-Shun Yang, Hui-Kai Hsia

3rd place Chia Hsiung Lai $17,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Leonardo Andam $8,500.00 Philippines
5th place Jeremy Jones $8,500.00 USA

2002 (Cardiff)
USA (13) - Kim Davenport, Cory Deuel, Frankie Hernandez, Johnny Archer, Nick Varner, Shannon Daulton, Jeremy Jones, George SanSouci, Troy Frank, Charlie Williams, Jim Rempe, Earl Strickland, Shawn Putnam
PHI (10) - Ramil Gallego, Warren Kiamco, Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, Antonio Lining, Dennis Orcullo, Rodolfo Luat, Leonardo Andam, Lee Van Corteza, Alex Pagulayan
Taiwan (9) - Chien-te Chung, Fong-pang Chao, Kun-fang Lee, Wei-chih Chen, Jung-hua Chao, Lu-kung Hung, Ching-shun Yang, Yi-che Kuo, Kun-chang Huang

1st place Earl Strickland $65,000.00 USA
2nd place Francisco Bustamante $30,000.00 Philippines
3rd place Ching-Shun Yang $17,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Efren Reyes $8,500.00 Philippines
5th place Johnny Archer $8,500.00 USA

2003 (Cardiff)
USA (11) - Earl STRICKLAND, Shawn PUTNAM, Max EBERLE, Charlie WILLIAMS, Teddy GARRAHAN, Johnny ARCHER, Cory DEUEL, Danny HARRIMAN, Jimmy WETCH, Rodney MORRIS, Nick VARNER
PHI (10) - Alex Pagulayan, Francisco BUSTAMANTE, Efren REYES, Ronnie ALCANO, Marlon MANALO, Ramil GALLEGO, Warren KIAMCO, Lee Vann CORTEZA, Dennis ORCOLLO, Antonio LINING
Taiwan (9) - Ying-Chieh CHEN, Po-Cheng KUO, Ching-Shun YANG, Hui-Kai HSIA, Pei-Wei CHANG, Fong-Pang CHAO, Che-Wei FU, Hui-Chan LU, Kun-Fung LEE

2nd place Alex Pagulayan $30,000.00 Philippines
3rd place Earl Strickland $17,500.00 USA
5th place Hui Kai Hsia $8,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Ching-Shun Yang $8,500.00 TAIWAN
5th place Francisco Bustamante $8,500.00 Philippines

2004 (Taiwan)
USA (13) - Charlie Williams, Corey Harper, Dan Basavich, Danny Harriman, Earl Strickland, Jeremy Jones, Johnny Archer, Max Eberle, Mike Davis, Rodney Morris, Steve Lillis, Timothy Hall, Tony Crosby
PHI (13) - Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, Jose Parica, Lee Van Corteza, Ramil Gallego, Warren Kiamco, Manalo Marlon,
Luat Rodolfo, Lining Antonio, Gabica Antonio, Dennis Orcollo,
Gandy Valle, Alex Pagulayan
Taiwan (13) - Che-Wei Fu, Ching-Shun Yang, Fong-Pang Chao, Hui-Kai Hsia, Chia-Ching Wu, Chin-Ching Kang, Hung-Hsiang Wang, Pei-Wei Chang, Po-Cheng Kuo, Ming-Wei Chien, Ying-Chieh Chen, Chien-Chen Huang, Chun-Yang Hsu

1st place Alex Pagulayan $75,000.00 Philippines
2nd place Pei-Wei Chang $35,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place Po Cheng Kuo $20,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Chin-Ching Kang $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Johnny Archer $10,000.00 USA
5th place Fong-Pang Chao $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Marlon Manalo $10,000.00 Philippines

2005 (Taiwan)
USA (12) - Charles Bryant, Charlie Williams, Cory Deuel, Dan Basavich, Earl Strickland, Gabe Owen, Jeremy Jones, John Schmidt, Johnny Archer, Mike Davis, Rodney Morris, Shawn Putnam
PHI (11) - Dennis Orcollo, Efren Reyes, Francisco Bustamante, Gandy Valle, Marlon Manalo, Rodolfo Luat, Ronato Alcano, Santos Sambajon, Antonio Lining, Warren Kiamco, Alex Pagulayan
Taiwan (19) - Che-wei Fu, Chien-che Huang, Chin-ching Kang, Ching-chia Wu, Ching-shun Yang, Fong-pang Chao, Hua-fong Wang, Hui-kai Hsia, Pei-wei Chang, Po-cheng Kuo, Shen-ping Pang, Ying-chieh Chen, Chong-hua Cheng, Chun-Chiang Liu, Ding-Yuan Zemg, Chia-Hsiung Lai, Ping-I Ko, Long-Lin Chang, Kung-Chang Huang

1st place Chia-Ching Wu $75,000.00 TAIWAN
2nd place Po Cheng Kuo $35,000.00 TAIWAN
3rd place Rodney Morris $20,000.00 USA
3rd place Marlon Manalo $20,000.00 Philippines
5th place Kun-Chang Huang $10,000.00 TAIWAN

2006 (Philippines)
USA (9) - Tony Crosby, Johnny Archer, Earl Strickland, Jeremy Jones, Charlie Williams, Rob Saez, Mike Davis, Corey Deuel, Rodney Morris
PHI (21) - Efren Reyes Alex Pagulayan, Marlon Manalo, Leonardo Andam, Lee Van CortezaFrancisco BustamanteJharome PenaAntonio LiningRoland GarciaRudy MortaGandy ValleDennis OrcolloRodolfo LuatRoberto GomezJose ParicaSantos SambajonIsrael RotaRonato AlcanoJeff De LunaEduardo VillanuevaRamil Gallego
Taiwan (16) - Wu Chia-Ching, Lee Kun-Fang, Fu Che-Wei, Kuo Po-Cheng, Chang Jung-Lin, Huang Kun-Chang, Lu Hsun-chen, Yang Ching-Shun, Chen Ying-Chieh, Chien Chin-Ju, Chao Fong-Pang, Wang Hung-Hsiang, Liu Cheng-Chuan, Nien Rong-Chih, Chang Pei-Wei, Hsia Hui-Kai

1st place Ronnie Alcano Philippines
3rd place Che-Wei Fu $20,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Rodolfo Luat $10,000.00 Philippines
5th place Chun-Chiang Liu $10,000.00 TAIWAN
5th place Chia-Ching Wu $10,000.00 TAIWAN

==============================
2000-2006

USA:
Champion: 1 time
3rd: 4 times
5th: 3 times
Philippines:
Champion: 2 times
2nd: 2 times
3rd: 1 time
5th: 6 times
Taiwan:
Champion: 2 times
2nd: 2 times
3rd: 4 times
5th: 7 times

Last edited:

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
bottom line is pool in america and in most places in europe is sort of dying, or not in a healthy state. the only place in the world where this is not the case is in asia. perhaps they have more strength in depth than america, but to say their best players are better than the usa's best players is not true.

this is what people get carried away with when they talk about the players in taiwan and china, and indeed the phillippines. they have numbers, because the game is healthy and striving there. but their top players arent way up on another level above the US's top players like some people like to make out.