This is a pretty good idea

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can also get laser pens that project lines, so you see a vertical line on the OB and a line on the cloth to the pocket. I think they're great training aids for learning to see OB contact points. I used them in lessons long ago.

pj
chgo

In Bold.

Where is this type available. I'd like to have one.

I did a Google search and could not find PENS that offered vertical and horizontal lines. Plenty of commercial lasers out there that offer V and H lines but way too big.

Thanks

John

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A line laser lets you project a line past the OB to the pocket so you can aim precisely even when cheating the pocket or shooting combos. And it works well sitting on the rail, keeping the playing surface clear.

pj
chgo

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A line laser lets you project a line past the OB to the pocket so you can aim precisely even when cheating the pocket or shooting combos. And it works well sitting on the rail, keeping the playing surface clear.

pj
chgo

If I was an Instructor this is a tool I would use to teach a new student to learn. Or even old guys. :)

This would be a great tool for folks having issues with blind cuts or bank shots etc.

Thanks

John

Last edited:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. I did this almost exactly as described about a year ago. Here's my contraption. I cut a deli container down and sliced out two semicircles for the laser pointer. A rubber band holds the button in. I only used it a couple of times, but it's pretty cool.

IMG_20180628_152320053.jpg

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cool. I did this almost exactly as described about a year ago. Here's my contraption. I cut a deli container down and sliced out two semicircles for the laser pointer. A rubber band holds the button in. I only used it a couple of times, but it's pretty cool.View attachment 495055
----------------

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which one did you buy?
If it's being used by you on a pool table, I want to buy the same thing.
This should be fun.
Thank you.
:thumbup:

You will want to purchase the 10mw cross in the pull down. Something like $15.

I'll order mine this weekend.

Yes, it will be fun and educational.

John :)

Ordered mine this morning.

It's going to be interesting to test. If the tests don't work out I can always entertain myself using it on the cat. :)

John

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Received my laser pen a week ago, haven't had a chance to mess with it until today.

The one I received (as ordered) was a 10mv cross. Today I ordered a 100mv cross.
I had to build a stand for the laser to bring the cross up to the correct height.

Anyway, attached are two pictures that I found to be very interesting.

The first picture shows the laser cross lined up with the side pocket on the 5 ball.
The second picture shows the laser cross as you move from left to right.

The interesting part of this, is not only can you see middle of the laser cross on the 5 but you can also see how much of the 5 has to be struck (vertical laser line) with the cue ball to pocket it.

IMHO this would make a great teaching tool for new students.

See next page for pictures.

John

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this again.
Side note:
The battery is not included. I use a 14500 3.7v lithium - ion battery (same size as a AA). Ordered 2, included the wall charger. $8.00

Attachments

• IMG_1177 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1177 (Small).JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1178 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1178 (Small).JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a word of caution. The guy in the video makes a small mistake. He sets up a cut shot and aligns the laser straight in. He first shows that if you aim directly at the spot you miss fat (because the balls are spheres and you can't actually hit the laser spot). But then he puts another cue ball up against the ob in the ghost ball position. He then aims the laser at the center of the ghost ball from the direction of the cue ball and then removes the ghost ball. The mistake comes when he says you need to aim directly at the laser spot. This ignores throw, which most people understand you have to compensate for. He says you just have to aim by trial and error to get the laser back on that spot, but you really have to aim the laser at a little wider angle to account for the throw, and you can see that happen in the video.

https://youtu.be/WDnlSBoh3m8?t=3m57s

I think this whole laser aiming thing could be harmful to a new player if they don't understand about throw. They need to be told that they always have to aim a little thinner than where the laser is telling them to aim, due to the curvature of the balls and also throw. The actual aim spot is pretty far from the laser point so I'm not sure I understand fully how this helps.

John, maybe time to invest in some new rails? ;)

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the pictures above, the dot in the middle of the cross is where the cue ball must contact the object ball using whatever aiming method you are using to make that happen.

This is a good example of the equal/opposite method of aiming.

The table needs more than new rails. The table has been treated as a training aid. Since acquiring the table in 1993 there has never been a pool game played on it. Just practice drills.

Good eye. :)

John

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the pictures above, the dot in the middle of the cross is where the cue ball must contact the object ball using whatever aiming method you are using to make that happen.
This is a good example of the equal/opposite method of aiming.
The table needs more than new rails. The table has been treated as a training aid. Since acquiring the table in 1993 there has never been a pool game played on it. Just practice drills
John
-------------

Last edited: