Tip shape

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a point of curiosity, I wonder if there is a demonstrable concences (assuming uniform shaft diameter/player technique) re: which shape plays better...dime or nickel?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as a point of curiosity, I wonder if there is a demonstrable concences (assuming uniform shaft diameter/player technique) re: which shape plays better...dime or nickel?
I use 12.25mm - 12.75mm shafts with either Le Pro, Triangle, or pooldawg8 milkdud tips on my McD D-1, my Pechauer Sneaky, and my Rick Howard. I shape them to a dime when new and rarely do anything but a light scuff every now and then, and I use Blue Diamond chalk lightly painted on like lipstick.
With all that being said, I ain't worth a chit chootin' but I got my equipment figured out just right!

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member

I would have to think a Dime Plays twice as good as a Nickel (Sorry)

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better: no, Different: yes

I find smaller radius requires more deliberate stroke, but rewards precision to a higher extent.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO, tip shape depends on several things such as:

How far from center CB do you play
How str8 you stoke at cb
Stiffness of shaft
Hardness of tip
Type cue.....break cue, jump cue or player
The type game I'm gonna play even matter....rotation, banks...etc

I'm a tad OCD when it comes to such things.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Shape the tip any way you wish , after a few games the tip will reshape its self to where it wants to be depending on the hardness of the leather or pig skin .

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also believe that if a player hits off center on a regular basis it will effect the shape of tip just like if a player hit cb dead center every shot it would effect the tip in opposite way.

anbukev

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a picture taken of Johann Chua' s cue tip in Japan earlier this year. I think Jeffrey Ignacio shapes his like this as well.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1534342107266.jpg
    FB_IMG_1534342107266.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 774

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Neither. A Car wash token is the bomb diggity of cue tip shapes.

Truth: Tip shape is an individual player thing based on style of play/preference.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I let mine settle out to the shape of a Farthing. To me, it's ideal for a tip.

All the best,
WW

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I’ll toss my ‘nickel profile’ shaper. The ability to manipulate with english (IMO) would far outshadow any ‘center ball’ accuracy advantage.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a picture taken of Johann Chua' s cue tip in Japan earlier this year. I think Jeffrey Ignacio shapes his like this as well.

That's closer to a dime shape. You can (and will) impart more english to the cue ball but it takes a more precise hit as well. The nickel radius might give you a little more power through the cue ball.

One more thing that might be of interest in looking at this photo. Believe it or not, you do not have to scuff the very top dead center of the tip at all. It can be left virtually flat and will still give you a nice solid hit. It's on the sides or edges of the cue tip that miscues happen and that is why it's so important to scuff (and chalk) that area properly. I learned this years ago from Al Romero who always had a little flat spot on the middle of his tip. He chalked it of course, but he did not rough it up there. Try it, you may like it.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I’ll toss my ‘nickel profile’ shaper. The ability to manipulate with english (IMO) would far outshadow any ‘center ball’ accuracy advantage.

Unless your accuracy is very good the trade-off will not be worth it.

On the other hand, if your accuracy is in order, well, it "may" be a positive for you.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
That's closer to a dime shape. You can (and will) impart more english to the cue ball but it takes a more precise hit as well. The nickel radius might give you a little more power through the cue ball.

One more thing that might be of interest in looking at this photo. Believe it or not, you do not have to scuff the very top dead center of the tip at all. It can be left virtually flat and will still give you a nice solid hit. It's on the sides or edges of the cue tip that miscues happen and that is why it's so important to scuff (and chalk) that area properly. I learned this years ago from Al Romero who always had a little flat spot on the middle of his tip. He chalked it of course, but he did not rough it up there. Try it, you may like it.

I know lot's of old timers leaving a flat.:D
I like 1/8" dia myself. Been doing it for 20+ yrs.

It gives you just a little wiggle room on center ball hits.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Makes sense. I can also see how roughing the tip with a shaper until the center has been roughed would cause the tip to wear out unnecessarily fast.