CTE Question

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been working through several shots in the drills from the Pro One DVD. As a left-handed player, and someone with not-so-great eyesight I noticed one thing and this was after playing through several racks of eight-ball - just practicing and trying to figure CTE out. That one thing is this: I pocketed probably 80 percent of all the balls tonight with a 15 degree perception and outside visual sweep (rotation).

Has anyone experienced this same thing?

When I line up my visuals I first locate Center CB to Edge of the Object Ball. I assume that is a 30% visual with Edge to B falling right into the visual given the CTE 1/2 ball offset. I then adjust to A and rotate into a 1/2-tip position. Zing! - the balls went in so much easier than my old parallel-lines method. It was the most fun I've had in pocketing difficult shots. I still have to improve accuracy of my visual rotation (sweeps) and locating the aim points - especially from long distances on a 9 foot Diamonds. What a blast. So much to learn. It's very difficult to determine what visual to use - 15 outside or 30 inside?

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I've been working through several shots in the drills from the Pro One DVD. As a left-handed player, and someone with not-so-great eyesight I noticed one thing and this was after playing through several racks of eight-ball - just practicing and trying to figure CTE out. That one thing is this: I pocketed probably 80 percent of all the balls tonight with a 15 degree perception and outside visual sweep (rotation).

Has anyone experienced this same thing?

That's IMPOSSIBLE! You can make only one shot angle using a 15 degree perception or any other perception. That's all they're good for. Sure, you could get an angle or so additional from pocket size and slop but that's IT.

Just ask PJ.

(but in answer to your question, yes - absolutely.)

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's IMPOSSIBLE! You can make only one shot angle using a 15 degree perception or any other perception. That's all they're good for. Sure, you could get an angle or so additional from pocket size and slop but that's IT.

Just ask PJ.

(but in answer to your question, yes - absolutely.)

Ha ha - love your post and your sarcasm.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Having learned the manual pivot version of CTE, a 15-outside pivot is used on straight-in shots, as instructed by Stan Shuffett. So how in the world do you get confused about using a 15 outside or 30 inside? Maybe your terminology is wrong/backward. An inside pivot or sweep comes from inside the perception line to thin the shot up. A 15 inside is the same as a 30 outside. Everything you posted is backwards. :smile:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having learned the manual pivot version of CTE, a 15-outside pivot is used on straight-in shots, as instructed by Stan Shuffett. So how in the world do you get confused about using a 15 outside or 30 inside? Maybe your terminology is wrong/backward. An inside pivot or sweep comes from inside the perception line to thin the shot up. A 15 inside is the same as a 30 outside. Everything you posted is backwards. :smile:

It's possible I'm not doing it correctly. My vision isn't that great (severe astigmatism, eye-glasses, and 55 y.o. :frown:).

Most of the shots were cut shots. After going through some of the examples from chapter 6, 8, & 9 I decided to experiment on my own (everytime I get back to the table I'll go through more DVD drills and do a few manual pivots as well). On a given cut shot - say 20 degrees, or so, to the left I would line up center-to-edge. This would immediately give me a 'B' reference on the object ball. If a sweep using 'B' didn't line me up I would move my head to see the 'A' reference line and then use an outside sweep after shifting my feet around (I'm left-handed). One of the shots I made 5 times in a row on a 9 foot table with 4-1/2" pockets. The distance to the corner pocket was about 5 diamonds, cue ball about 2 diamonds away from the object ball. I'm not that good so it would have to be a miracle for that to happen using my old parallel aiming method. I used a 15 degree perception and a right VS each time (or so I think :smile:). Staring at the fixed cue ball I stepped forward then moved my back leg further back to rotate (again - I'm left handed). That might be part of the issue here too.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's possible I'm not doing it correctly. My vision isn't that great (severe astigmatism, eye-glasses, and 55 y.o. :frown:).

Most of the shots were cut shots. After going through some of the examples from chapter 6, 8, & 9 I decided to experiment on my own (everytime I get back to the table I'll go through more DVD drills and do a few manual pivots as well). On a given cut shot - say 20 degrees, or so, to the left I would line up center-to-edge. This would immediately give me a 'B' reference on the object ball. If a sweep using 'B' didn't line me up I would move my head to see the 'A' reference line and then use an outside sweep after shifting my feet around (I'm left-handed). One of the shots I made 5 times in a row on a 9 foot table with 4-1/2" pockets. The distance to the corner pocket was about 5 diamonds, cue ball about 2 diamonds away from the object ball. I'm not that good so it would have to be a miracle for that to happen using my old parallel aiming method. I used a 15 degree perception and a right VS each time (or so I think :smile:). Staring at the fixed cue ball I stepped forward then moved my back leg further back to rotate (again - I'm left handed). That might be part of the issue here too.

You are doing it right. Keep watching the dvd and practicing. Sounds like some good early success.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

I would say doing it correctly is matter of individual results. If you're following Stan's instruction on dvd and/or YouTube, and you feel like it's clicking for you, having good results, then keep at it. Don't listen to anyone who says you're doing it wrong, because your results are all that really matters. I just think your terminology got a little backwards, that's all.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's going to be an exciting journey. Next time at the table will be Thursday. I'm usually there for 6-7 hours, taking my time, studying the methodolgy ... thinking of ways to gain an edge. CTE will be that edge. I'm very excited about this way of sighting and aligning.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
It's going to be an exciting journey. Next time at the table will be Thursday. I'm usually there for 6-7 hours, taking my time, studying the methodolgy ... thinking of ways to gain an edge. CTE will be that edge. I'm very excited about this way of sighting and aligning.

Your username rings a bell. You were here talking about working on CTE over a year ago. You should have a good handle on it by now. If not, maybe it's time to get a private lesson from Stan.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your username rings a bell. You were here talking about working on CTE over a year ago. You should have a good handle on it by now. If not, maybe it's time to get a private lesson from Stan.

Good memory. Yes. Here's a note that I recently sent to Stan:

"Looking forward to the release. I bought the Pro One DVD (2) a year ago and watched it several times then decided, regretfully, it was too confusing and so shelved it for many other aiming methods. I returned to CTE last week and the light came on in my mind (or "eyes") Thank you Stan for ignoring the non-believers at AZ and pushing through with your DVDs, YT Videos, and soon your much anticipated book. Hope you are able to get some rest in between chapters."

Also - I asked Stan about getting lessons from someone knowledgeable in my area (Iowa). He referred me to a pro living in Wisconsin but that person (can't remember their name) has moved to Vegas.

With two in college and a busy day job it's hard to travel unless I have to for work.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Looking forward to the release. I bought the Pro One DVD (2) a year ago and watched it several times then decided, regretfully, it was too confusing and so shelved it for many other aiming methods. I returned to CTE last week and the light came on in my mind (or "eyes") Thank you Stan for ignoring the non-believers at AZ and pushing through with your DVDs, YT Videos, and soon your much anticipated book. Hope you are able to get some rest in between chapters."

"Ignore" is not the word I would use. Where mirza? Going back to lurk.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Having learned the manual pivot version of CTE, ....

This comment strikes a chord. How's your potting success with the system, is it over 80% also? If not, do you plan on spending some table time on it to improve your technique?

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Ignore" is not the word I would use. Where mirza? Going back to lurk.

You are correct in that many times in reading the helpful correspondence I wanted Stan to simply ignored the trolls - too much fight in him, I guess. I wasted a lot of time paging through those interruptions to get to the meat of the answers.

Vorpal Cue

Just galumping back
Silver Member
Sacman, have you reviewed Stan's video on foot placement? I had problems getting aligned properly because of my two left feet. The video helped me get into a better position for a more comfortable stroke.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sacman, have you reviewed Stan's video on foot placement? I had problems getting aligned properly because of my two left feet. The video helped me get into a better position for a more comfortable stroke.

I did view it, thanks. A year ago I went to a snooker boxer stance (straight back leg and bent front leg). My straight-in, long shot successes went up dramatically - mainly because I'm somewhat unstable (yes - I'm sober :D) with bent knees. I want to keep that stance so will have to do the shifting a bit differently but am relying on "the eyes lead and the body follows". Also - being left handed - I was born confused.

Recently I've been Stan's videos watching his YouTube videos - over and over (even downloaded them in mp3 so I could listen on my commute) and the DVD - but will certainly study the foot motion video again. Seems like Bob Nunley also had a video on that I need to watch.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Also - I asked Stan about getting lessons from someone knowledgeable in my area (Iowa). He referred me to a pro living in Wisconsin but that person (can't remember their name) has moved to Vegas.

With two in college and a busy day job it's hard to travel unless I have to for work.

I understand completely. Table time is often the rarest thing we can hope to find. Keep working on it....sounds like you've caught a gear.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand completely. Table time is often the rarest thing we can hope to find. Keep working on it....sounds like you've caught a gear.

Yes - My table time is my "therapy". One reason I don't have a table at home is that no one ... my wife, kids, and boss would ever see me again.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
This comment strikes a chord. How's your potting success with the system, is it over 80% also? If not, do you plan on spending some table time on it to improve your technique?

I've worked with it enough to figure out how to do it and how/why it works when it does. But there are little intricacies like using a quarter tip pivot on occassion instead of a half tip pivot, or slightly moving my bridge hand closer on certain shots, etc....

I can get the perceptions and use manual pivots to make it work on a lot of shots. But it takes practice to refine it so that it works on every shot, and I'm not interested in refining it because I don't use it nor need it.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct in that many times in reading the helpful correspondence I wanted Stan to simply ignored the trolls - too much fight in him, I guess. I wasted a lot of time paging through those interruptions to get to the meat of the answers.

Unfortunately that is the way of life here on AZ. The doubters are all knowing and constantly interrupting useful discussion

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've worked with it enough to figure out how to do it and how/why it works when it does. But there are little intricacies like using a quarter tip pivot on occassion instead of a half tip pivot, or slightly moving my bridge hand closer on certain shots, etc....

I can get the perceptions and use manual pivots to make it work on a lot of shots. But it takes practice to refine it so that it works on every shot, and I'm not interested in refining it because I don't use it nor need it.

Can you post or define any of these so called certain shots. And what kind of refining they need.