"specialty" shaft's

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started playing pool seriously, a shaft was a shaft. The tighter and straighter the grain - the better. In the last 10 years or so, there has been a huge influx of "specialty" shafts - IE 314, red dot, blue dot, D2...and the list goes on and on.
Here's my question, posed to the players who began playing w/o the options of funky shafts. Are you using them? which ones are bunk? which ones perform? Or have we as a whole stuck to the tried and true quality of "old school" shafts?

Lupin3th

Registered
I know a girl that collects "specialty" shaft's. It was on display in her living room in a glass cabinet. She had about 12 special shafts, some big, some small. The funny thing is she gave them all names. She had the predator, the tiger, the obewan, the irish posh rocket, the dominator. She loved them all but her favorite was the obewan because like she said it was like a force of nature that turned her to the darkside. :D Holly shizney did she ever had a master stroke that would always leave a spit polish on the old mcdermott.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I try almost all of them as they come out. People I know buy them & I get to mate them to their cue, or somebody I know buys one & I get to test it out. So far, all have been fair shafts. Lots of enginuity & thought go into their design. But none have impressed me like a good solid peice of maple, though. They seem to be getting a little better as time goes on, but still not at a point where i'd consider using them or putting them on my customs. Beleive me, it would be much easier & less frsustrating if I could just buy shafts to install on my customs. I cut lots & lots of shafts. It's time consuming & the loss ratio is high, but it's still the best way to do it, in my humble opinion.

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Meucci had one of the first gimmicks, the Red Dot shaft. As far as I can tell, all they did was look at the shaft with a pair of eyeballs, and place a red dot at the top of the grain, saying it was the scientifically correct orientation if the dot was pointed up each stroke. Bunk IMHO.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Shafts

I have seen numerous players shoot lights out with Predators and other laminated shafts. I, for one, have no use for those gizmo items. I still favor old growth wood...yellowish or darker in appearance with very tight straight grain. 4.o oz or more w/o an insert. I seldom run 2 racks in a row, but my game is more consistent with those old growth shafts than the new technology. I can feel the difference immediately between wood and the laminates.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Salesmanship

There's an old adage....

"If you nail two boards together in a way that they have never been nailed before, some schmuck will buy it."