Cue makers whose brand value has decreased the most..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly was the dale perry issue that lead to the decline of value of his cues? I never really heard the cause of that.
He went to a Ebay-based selling method. He sold cues at prices that undermined the values of the higher-end customs he had been making. Guys that had paid ,say, 1500 for a cue were hard pressed to get a third of that back. As for his current stuff? IMO they might the best cues out there for the $$. There are about 5-6 guys at my local 'hall that use or have used DP cues. The only reason i sold mine was i wanted a slimmer handle cue. Think i gave 120bux for it. Crazy.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And sometimes a unique custom design will increase in value a great deal.

I recall the Serpent Cue Ernie G made for a client that was a one of a kind.
I could have scored that cue from Bill Grassley back in 2013 for about $7.5k

It was listed on Cornerstone Cues for awhile but I bought my EP cue instead.
That cue was traded back to Bill and it is listed at $12,500....duh....my EP cue
which happens to also be a one of a kind hasn’t jumped in value like that and
Ed is no slouch when it comes to cue-making. Some cues will definitely increase
and some won’t and actually depreciate in value. The market is a fickle thing but
great cues from great cue-makers will retain their value & some will increase a lot.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only reason I can think is that they were actually making good cues back in the 80’s before they started putting out complete shit to cash in on their popularity in the 90s so maybe people who are fans of the cue are chasing those? To each his own I guess.. lol

Look at the sold auctions on eBay. Then there's the few FaceBook groups. People are still spending in the thousands for Meuccis.

I don't get it, but outside of the "custom biome" they're very popular cues. We are the only group looking down on Moochies. I like them from the M series, back. It really does amaze me when you look at them now, and people see the reflective back-ends and think they're real inlays. I'm like, you paid a G for a "custom" BCM with stickers, and then was able to sell it for another G to someone in the FB group?!? And, I'm over here taking a loss on a Scruggs. LOL. No sense.

EDIT: the Meucci cues I mentioned are indeed inlaid. Apologies for my assumptions of stickers.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly was the dale perry issue that lead to the decline of value of his cues? I never really heard the cause of that.

The issue? Well dealers and distributors were not selling DP Cues fast enough.

They were just sitting and not enough people were buying.

Dale was making them faster and the inventory just got too big so

....welcome Dale Perry to Ebay. The rest is history. Great cues!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dale Perry Cues

After reading the comments about Dale Perry cues in this and other threads I thought I would find out for myself so I picked up one of his cues on eBay this past week. Received it Monday, shot a few racks with it yesterday, and I couldn't be happier with it. Very nice fit and finish, excellent balance, and it plays better than a Pechauer that I paid nearly five times as much for!

If anybody wants to see pics of it just check out the eBay auction link at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Perry-Custom-Pool-Cue-1-1-Curly-Maple-Ebony-Black-Stage-IV-Upgrade-/163897934653?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DhAkN0I2YbDLai9jP%252BXsPIX3Ulc%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the comments about Dale Perry cues in this and other threads I thought I would find out for myself so I picked up one of his cues on eBay this past week. Received it Monday, shot a few racks with it yesterday, and I couldn't be happier with it. Very nice fit and finish, excellent balance, and it plays better than a Pechauer that I paid nearly five times as much for!

If anybody wants to see pics of it just check out the eBay auction link at:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Perry-Custom-Pool-Cue-1-1-Curly-Maple-Ebony-Black-Stage-IV-Upgrade-/163897934653?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=DhAkN0I2YbDLai9jP%252BXsPIX3Ulc%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc
Cannot beat these at the price. Nice cue you got there.

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I loved the raffles. I took home a Ron Thomas 1x2 for like $20 bucks. I was pissed about them being nixed.

I was sad to hear of Kevin's death. I don't necessarily think it was him, but his big-mouthed supporters that hurt his rep. He did get behind, but it was due to his illness and hospital stays. I could understand that. Then, like Kobachi said, he was just gone.

I've hit with one Varney player and one breaker. I would have definitely ordered one of each from him.

Josh

I also miss the raffles, I won a new Southwest Satin and a new 2x4 Jack Justis case and my total investment was 20.00.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just msg'd a friend whose a big Meucci guy. Bob himself told him all cues are inlaid. NO overlays. Personally i think most of his cues are ghastly but they are ghastly inlaid. ;)

I gotta agree with you on this - most of the Meucci designs I have seen are godawful. I have a Meucci as my main shooter, and really like how it plays, but it is just a plain off-white butt with a black wrap and black dot shaft. Bought it new a few years ago for $200 from a friend who stops by Bob's shop once or twice a year and picks up "blems." I can't find any flaws on this one, though. :thumbup:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Varney's? He touted himself on here years back and got a little following.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I had no idea Schmelke used to be a little higher dollar.

35-40 years ago.

I don’t know what happened. Been to long but once upon a time they were somewhat respected. There are more qualified guys here to speak on this than me. I got robbed on one in 85 when I was new in the pool room.

I miss buying and selling cues on the rail, that was a thing before the internet. All the self proclaimed “Cue Dealers” lolololol, sure. I flipped a zillion poles befor the internet was invented and the notion that one guy is a “dealer” and the guy talking to him isn’t? If you buy and sell cues you buy and sell cues. “Dealer” is the biggest horse $hit marketing play ever.

Anyways back to bad cue deals, this is a fun thread.

Best
Fatboy

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Varney's? He touted himself on here years back and got a little following.

I’m always looking for Varney cues, and the later, more-refined examples are almost impossible to find and command good money.

For the record, if I had to play one game of pool to save my life and had to choose between a random Varney or a random South West to use, I’d take the Varney every time... and I’m a big SW fan.