American Rotation

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
So its been over a week since I started playing Joe Tuckers "American Rotation" and I am loving this game. I got a bunch of my buddies hooked on it now.
Are any of you guys playing it yet? It's easy to handicap and really gives your position play a work out.

Thanks for a great game Joe.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Imo, it's the only "new" game that seems balanced and challenging, yet still familiar. Just a good game and fun all around. And it makes playing nine ball seem like child's play!

SMG

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had a chance to play it myself but I did watch Ronnie Alcano and Max Eberle play it at the Swanee at Hard Times in Bellflower

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Imo, it's the only "new" game that seems balanced and challenging, yet still familiar. Just a good game and fun all around. And it makes playing nine ball seem like child's play!

I was thinking the same thing about 9 ball after playing this. Isn't it amazing how fast the last 5 balls go once you get there?

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Sounds like something new. I play rotation, trouble is getting others interested. Is this a book? or a website I can go look into?

I have got 1 person interested in rotation so far :(

Joe T

This was one of the motivating factors that went into creating the game in the first place, GET US BETTER! We all have a lot of theories as to why the Filipinos play better than most everyone but one of the reasons I think even all us azers can agree on is that they play more rotation.

A few other things this game is going to do for us are;
Create more action; it’s going to be another game and another way for players of all levels to match up and match up pretty fairly. So fair I’ll probably end up catching sh** for it. When that happens, lower level players are going to enjoy playing higher level players more often and this is good for both sides as the stronger players need the action and lower levels need the experience.

Simply playing the game with anyone improves everything, kicks, safes, position play, decision making and RUNNNNNING OUT.

Initially, before they ever play, some people worry about keeping score but after just 1 game they see it’s a hanger so please don’t let that stop you. And the app is already built so it’ll be even easier real soon ;)

Joe T

I'm very interested in receiving some bar table feedback for this game.
I haven't played or witnessed a set on a bar table yet and I'm very curious on how the game will flow? The only time the rules call for spotting a ball are if you happen to knock a ball off the table on the break, other than that we never have to spot balls so it should work out fine on the bar box. That is, other than having to manuever your way through 15 balls in rotation around a lot of traffic.

frankw

Semi Retired Bodybuilder
Silver Member
This is even fun practice. I was at the pool hall last night and rather than doing the guaranteed improvement drills ( which I should be doing more often ) I went through a few racks. Can definitely see how this can help all games. Will look forward to the app!

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I'm very interested in receiving some bar table feedback for this game.
I haven't played or witnessed a set on a bar table yet and I'm very curious on how the game will flow? The only time the rules call for spotting a ball are if you happen to knock a ball off the table on the break, other than that we never have to spot balls so it should work out fine on the bar box. That is, other than having to manuever your way through 15 balls in rotation around a lot of traffic.

We haven't had any problems playing this on bar tables. The only thing different is that because of the size of the table, sometimes the game is a little slower in the beginning. Lots of safeties at first, (depending on the lay out after the break) but still very playable.

If I have my choice however I prefer it on the 9 footers. But that's just me. I have noticed some of the guys who prefer a longer game on the bar boxes (more game for your .75!) would rather play American Rotation than 8 ball.

I may even set up some type of tournament in the near future once everyone has gotten used to the game. For what it's worth, most people are taking to it very easily. Especially if they are used to nine ball. It's an easy adjustment.

Joe T

We haven't had any problems playing this on bar tables. The only thing different is that because of the size of the table, sometimes the game is a little slower in the beginning. Lots of safeties at first, (depending on the lay out after the break) but still very playable.

If I have my choice however I prefer it on the 9 footers. But that's just me. I have noticed some of the guys who prefer a longer game on the bar boxes (more game for your .75!) would rather play American Rotation than 8 ball.

I may even set up some type of tournament in the near future once everyone has gotten used to the game. For what it's worth, most people are taking to it very easily. Especially if they are used to nine ball. It's an easy adjustment.

That's good news on both counts, thanks. Pretty much how I had it envisioned, a little wrestling at the beginning and then off to the races. 9fters open up pretty quick. I still look forward to seeing it played on the bar box, nice bonus there with the little more play, hadn't thought of that. If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys located?

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
That's good news on both counts, thanks. Pretty much how I had it envisioned, a little wrestling at the beginning and then off to the races. 9fters open up pretty quick. I still look forward to seeing it played on the bar box, nice bonus there with the little more play, hadn't thought of that. If you don't mind me asking, where are you guys located?

North east Missouri, Hannibal area. But I have been showing some guys that play in Quincy Ill and St. Louis Mo as well. I hoping that will help it catch on a bit in the mid west.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
I like it, it's kind of like continuous Fargo...but I never saw anything wrong with straight rotation the way it's always been played. OBTW, that's an American game, too (not sure why this one needs to be called "American" Rotation); rotation isn't a Filipino game...we brought it to the Philippines courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

There's a lot of strategy involved with rollouts, spot shots and shortcuts to get to 61 before your opponent; or call a safety that locks them out while freeing up a stuck key ball for you, etc. A true test of skill with multi-dimensional strategy...and yes, the Filipinos play it better than we ever did, IMHO.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Hey Joe T., I got a question for ya about the rules. If a player commits their 3rd foul but pockets the last ball on the table. Is the other player still awarded the free shot and BIH on the next rack or is it just forfeited?

Joe T

Hey Joe T., I got a question for ya about the rules. If a player commits their 3rd foul but pockets the last ball on the table. Is the other player still awarded the free shot and BIH on the next rack or is it just forfeited?

Good question. I'm gonna go with fouls do not carry over, nonoffending player simply gets the points.

Joe T

I like it, it's kind of like continuous Fargo...but I never saw anything wrong with straight rotation the way it's always been played. OBTW, that's an American game, too (not sure why this one needs to be called "American" Rotation); rotation isn't a Filipino game...we brought it to the Philippines courtesy of the U.S. Navy.

There's a lot of strategy involved with rollouts, spot shots and shortcuts to get to 61 before your opponent; or call a safety that locks them out while freeing up a stuck key ball for you, etc. A true test of skill with multi-dimensional strategy...and yes, the Filipinos play it better than we ever did, IMHO.

I'm with ya on the traditional 61 Rotation, love it too and was aware that its an American game (Efren owes us one lol). This one just needed a different name and I didn't want to isolate with Rhode Island Rotation, lol. Besides that I want everyone in America to play more rotation. Actually the whole world but we'll kick start it ;)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Joe, thanks for sharing this great new game with us. It must have taken a lot of time and research to make it a viable game. I really like how the new rules add some depth without being overly intrusive.
I've added it to the list of my favorite games and will be spreading it around Tokyo with anyone who's up for a challenge!

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just watched up to 109-51, Alcano over Eberle. That's a pretty big deficit to overcome with alternate breaks and a point-based scoring system. It was hinted that this wasn't the end of it for Max, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see how it turns out.

I guess I really like this game a lot. The rules seem well thought out, giving each player multiple chances at the table, even during the most lopsided of mismatches. Seems like it will be very easy to handicap this game. Can't wait to play it, but I really don't see it making its way into bar play, at least in my area, where most of the bars have one table at best and the wait is long enough for an 8-ball game as it is.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
I am liking what i have seen and read so far. I have always liked Rotation and i play it with a weaker player and i give up ball in hand when i miss to keep it interesting.
What we do for score is we have a sheet of paper listing 1 through 15 at the top and little boxes underneath it and two columns for our names and we just check off what balls we have made as we got along and add them up to see who gets to 61 first.
Its easier than getting under the return and stuffing the balls into the slots, provided one of us doesnt forget, lol.
This new game looks very interesting and i will watch it again to get everything right.
In the original form of the game when someone scratches or fouls, the incoming player gets ball in hand anywhere on the table or it stays in the kitchen ? And if the next ball is in the kitchen, does it go to the head spot ? Old timers have told me different variations through the years.