Whats the word on this guy?

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Tor Lowry. I came across his videos on you tube. I was surprised to see that he has a stroke training drill that is very similar to what I am already doing.

He says to shot the drill 2000 to 3000 times. I do the same basic thing 300 times a day for 2 weeks straight.(that's right, 4200 X's)
(All you do is place a ball on the head spot and shoot it into the far corner while making sure your fundamentals are perfect.)

I do that once a year to keep my stroke in shape. I notice that throughout the year I tend to pick up bad habits here and there and this helps me get back on track. While doing the drill I make sure I am using correct stance, grip, alignment, follow through etc. And most importantly I keep my head down for 2 seconds after the shot. ( he says 3) This helps build my muscle memory and trains my body to be consistent.

Anyhow, I haven't watched all of his video but I was wondering if any of you know anything about him.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tor Lowry. I came across his videos on you tube. I was surprised to see that he has a stroke training drill that is very similar to what I am already doing.

He says to shot the drill 2000 to 3000 times. I do the same basic thing 300 times a day for 2 weeks straight.(that's right, 4200 X's)
(All you do is place a ball on the head spot and shoot it into the far corner while making sure your fundamentals are perfect.)

I do that once a year to keep my stroke in shape. I notice that throughout the year I tend to pick up bad habits here and there and this helps me get back on track. While doing the drill I make sure I am using correct stance, grip, alignment, follow through etc. And most importantly I keep my head down for 2 seconds after the shot. ( he says 3) This helps build my muscle memory and trains my body to be consistent.

Anyhow, I haven't watched all of his video but I was wondering if any of you know anything about him.

I did this drill for an hour a few weeks ago. In one hours time without a break I was able to pot 165 balls. By that math it would take me 18 hours to pot 3000 balls. At the $4 per hour it costs me to practice it would be $72. And a sore back for sure.

I like the drill because it helps me with my stroke...but to me it's a huge task to pocket 3000 balls before I shoot another rack.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh...and I thought his videos were instructive...but there are a few threads on here already about Tor vs Jimmy Reid that are mostly interesting reads.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Yes, a home table is really needed for this. I like doing 300 per day, it spreads it out and the daily routine really helps me commit it to memory (muscle memory that is).

I am not trying to plug his stuff or anything like that, which is why I didn't put up a link to the video. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about him or his credentials.

Thanks for your input Lee.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say if you shoot any shot 3,000 times, making sure that your fundamentals are perfect, you are going to see benefits. If you have the time and dedication it can't hurt.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just getting into Tor's video for the second time. I think it is an awesome contribution to help intermediate players like myself improve, and the price is certainly right. Almost three hours of jam-packed info, including some of the best 8 and 9-ball strategy I've seen so far in an intro lesson video. Plus, the guy looks like a pretty sporty player to me, so I'm sure it works for him at any rate.

I know all about the Lowry-Reid feud over this, but I'm not gonna takes sides since both men appear to believe what they are saying. I will, however, order the PPVs about kicking and banking, if for no other reason than to pay the man back for the free lesson video he graciously put out.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
He has available, Advanced Pool Lessons part 1 and he just released part 2.
No charge for either.

Just yesterday, I ran across his spot on the wall video and the jump shots off the rail. Now that one is very interesting and I bet that if one doesn't know how to do that already, he will have everyone practicing it shortly. If you get good at that one, unsafetying safeties will be fun.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I would say if you shoot any shot 3,000 times, making sure that your fundamentals are perfect, you are going to see benefits. If you have the time and dedication it can't hurt.

I just wish my back could see the benefits, right now it's just flat out pissed at me!;)

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where do you put the cue ball?

HomerJay20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just started watching his videos a couple of days ago. I'm going to try the stroke drill where you keep the tip in line on the felt tonight for as long as I can. I grateful that he put his video out on Youtube b/c it's very helpful. His table kind of makes me laugh though. Looks like it came from Sears:smile:

Bill812

Bill812
Silver Member
He seems to really know his stuff and is able to convey his thoughts in a very simple, instructive manner. I bought his Zero-X Kicking & Banking videos, and I have learned a lot from them. I also saw the video about hitting in 2-3000 balls for stroke fundamentals, (I was shooting without any warm up strokes, just a dead stop at the ball and fire) and did so over 2 days to make 3000 balls this way, then, an advanced player in my area strongly suggested that I take a few warm up strokes before firiing to smooth out my stroke, so the following weekend I shot another 3000 balls this way. I think that taking his advice & doing the stroke drill with it for 3000 shots has really had a noticeable effect on my game. I also would like to mention that after hitting every 150 balls in (10 racks), I would do 100 strokes into a long neck beer bottle for a total of about 2000. I refer to this as reconstructing my stroke and I think it has made a big difference in my game recently. I have no reservation in recommending Tor Lowry's intructional materials, just good, simple and well organized instruction...

stutz

did you call that?
Silver Member
I have his kick and bank videos and I recently downloaded his "secrets" video. I enjoyed them thoroughly

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has available, Advanced Pool Lessons part 1 and he just released part 2.
No charge for either.

Just yesterday, I ran across his spot on the wall video and the jump shots off the rail. Now that one is very interesting and I bet that if one doesn't know how to do that already, he will have everyone practicing it shortly. If you get good at that one, unsafetying safeties will be fun.

I can't find Part 2 on his YouTube channel. Do you have a link to it?

Yeah, those rail jumps are slicker than snake shit! And so easy to do with just a playing cue. I don't own a jump cue and can't jump with a player more than just the edge of the ball, and half the time I can't even do that. This should open a whole new world to me.

BTW I saw on his FB page that Colin Colenso ordered both the banking and kicking videos. Pretty strong endorsement IMHO.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Looks like it came from Sears

Well, its not a Diamond thats a fer sure but Tor seems to know it pretty well.

Check his Face Book page out. Zero X Billiards. Tor tries to do updates daily.

6 hours of video in 2 parts. Free
A banking and Kicking dvd. $10 each.
Many short videos on one subject. Also Free.

Just seems like a person that is interested in teaching others how to improve their game to me.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Head spot is where he puts it, but it really doesn't matter. all your doing is hitting the ball straight into the pocket and focusing on using good fundamentals, over and over and over and.....:smile:

Light bulb just went off. :eek:

I was trying to figure out where you were putting the cue ball to shoot it into the object ball. I now see what you are talking about.

On the surface, that sort of seems like something a beginner would be doing, but maybe not....

If you remove the distraction that is caused by the collision of the two balls, it may be much easier to focus on JUST your fundamentals. However, without the feedback you get from seeing if you are pocketing a ball or not, how do you KNOW that your fundamentals are solid? I can see how it works, when you do the drill where you shoot the cue ball straight into the end rail and try to get it to return to your tip. Doing that drill you at least know whether or not you are hitting the cue ball dead center. But when you are just shooting balls into the pocket, how do you know you are cueing straight?

Seems like the only thing you are working on for sure is staying down.

Just thinking out loud here...

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure sounds like mother drill #1 to me. Basement, if you use a stripe ball set up in line and cue straight it will look like a tire rolling in.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Light bulb just went off. :eek:

I was trying to figure out where you were putting the cue ball to shoot it into the object ball. I now see what you are talking about.

On the surface, that sort of seems like something a beginner would be doing, but maybe not....

If you remove the distraction that is caused by the collision of the two balls, it may be much easier to focus on JUST your fundamentals. However, without the feedback you get from seeing if you are pocketing a ball or not, how do you KNOW that your fundamentals are solid? I can see how it works, when you do the drill where you shoot the cue ball straight into the end rail and try to get it to return to your tip. Doing that drill you at least know whether or not you are hitting the cue ball dead center. But when you are just shooting balls into the pocket, how do you know you are cueing straight?

Seems like the only thing you are working on for sure is staying down.

Just thinking out loud here...

I assume you could do this with a vertical stripe to get more feedback on your cueing. It sounds like a good "back to basics" drill. If you can add this to a practice routine it can't hurt.

The end rail drill is good but not perfect. I often find myself changing my stroke a little bit to really focus on the center ball hit. It's almost an artificially "steered" stroke because the only goal is to hit center. So that doesn't translate that well to a real game situation.