My lesson with Mark Wilson

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
It was amazing, grueling, inspiring and exhausting!

To start with I had to get up and leave my house at 4 in the morning due to the snowstorm that hit the mid west Saturday. So I meet Mark at Cue and Cushion around 11 am. Right away I can tell that this guy loves what he does. I was impressed with his ability to be professional and yet make you feel comfortable at the same time. Extremely easy to get along with and had a ton of great stories and every one of them were relative to what he was teaching me.

He sized up my game quickly and wasted no time fixing the flaws in my mechanics. Half way through the lesson I almost called him Bagger Vance because he had a great way of making me understand what I needed to do, small changes that made a world of difference for me. We changed my stance, my grip, my entrance into the shot, my bridge...... EVERYTHING! And I thought I played well, and in truth I did but with my mechanics at the time I was stuck on a world of mediocrity. I would most likely never advance beyond my current limitations because my stroke was inconsistent. It had way too many moving parts.
So, the things Mark taught me destroyed my game.........and GOOD RIDDANCE! My old game is dead and buried and I will never go back to my old way of shooting. It's like I am learning the game all over again and it's great. It is frustrating because I am going to play like crap for awhile but I know the payoff will be worth it in the end.
After my lesson Mark even offered to give me a ride back to my hotel so my wife wouldn't have to get out again! Here is a guy that drove over a hour in bad conditions to teach me pool for 8 hours and still has a hour drive ahead of him to get back home and does it all for only $300.00. AND STILL OFFERS TO GIVE ME A RIDE! (On top of that he was even going to take me out for dinner!)

I can't wait for the next lesson with Mark. He is a class act all the way and his instruction is top notch. Also after working with Mark I have a better understanding about the things that Scott Lee and RandyG talk about on here. I have always respected there comments but now I really get it. Those guys know what they are doing. If you ever get a chance to work with any of those guys take it, you wont be disappointed.

I am also hoping I can make it to the DCC this January, Mark has offered to show me around and introduce me to some of the players like Efren.......the only thing that came to mind when he said that is this......
were.JPG

By the way, to those that have worked with Mark, how long does it take to get feeling back into your bridge arm? My left arm has been numb from the bicep to my fingertips for 2 days now!

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Cool report.

Why is your bridge arm that sore? I must be doing something wrong. :)

Well, I had gotten into the habit of bending my bridge arm when I shoot. He straightened me out and that coupled when several hours of holding the shooting position for extended periods of time really took a toll on my shoulder. (Maybe pinched a nerve)

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the way, to those that have worked with Mark, how long does it take to get feeling back into your bridge arm? My left arm has been numb from the bicep to my fingertips for 2 days now!

Cdryden

My first lesson form a pro killed my game for nearly 6 months. Then the jumping over walls happened.

With Marks teaching, it wasn't so much. Guess my basic fundamentals didn't need too much tweaking. He changed foot position, bridge, elbow and all that but that wasn't so major. It was simply an understanding of a tighter system and working with it.

I broke a rule I have with hiring instructors which is not accepting and practicing everything taught. For instance, the eye pattern he teaches I found difficult to accomplish, didn't understand the importance of eye pattern at the time. I have also fought the elbow drop argument. TILL NOW!!

Getting these 2 things in me will take some time. I think I have a path to get rid of the elbow. Just have to be careful not to bring in something else.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know him well enough to call him a friend but my dealings with Mark Wilson were good. I believe pool needs more people like him.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Cdryden

My first lesson form a pro killed my game for nearly 6 months. Then the jumping over walls happened.

With Marks teaching, it wasn't so much. Guess my basic fundamentals didn't need too much tweaking. He changed foot position, bridge, elbow and all that but that wasn't so major. It was simply an understanding of a tighter system and working with it.

I broke a rule I have with hiring instructors which is not accepting and practicing everything taught. For instance, the eye pattern he teaches I found difficult to accomplish, didn't understand the importance of eye pattern at the time. I have also fought the elbow drop argument. TILL NOW!!

Getting these 2 things in me will take some time. I think I have a path to get rid of the elbow. Just have to be careful not to bring in something else.

I agree, you have to be willing to do what they tell you to do or you are just wasting your money. Straightening my bridge arm and correcting my stance took care of the elbow drop for me. Once those things were corrected it got my stroke in line and my follow through was perfect. As Mark would say..."Where's your tip!"

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren is as easy going as they come, just go say high. In fact most of the pinoys are like that. If you bring a chess board with you Efren will be your friend for life.

oscar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have taken 4 lesson from mark over the years and also bought the book that shows all it is got to be the best billiard book ever wrote its not a one time read it is a work book that i will always use as a refrence and i will be going back to mark after i work with the book some more thanks again Mark

Philthepockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just seems a strange solution to me, I would change the body position to correct the alignment, the straight arm is a very cramped position and puts strain on your neck and shoulder where the bent arm puts your bridge hand in front of you and is a more relaxed position.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just seems a strange solution to me, I would change the body position to correct the alignment, the straight arm is a very cramped position and puts strain on your neck and shoulder where the bent arm puts your bridge hand in front of you and is a more relaxed position.

and I can't think of a single top level player (snooker or pool) that plays with a straight arm.

Oh well. I'm not sure Cdrydan is looking to debate Mark's position on this. I really do want to get my hands on that book.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I'm not saying that your arm has to be locked straight. My arm was bent quite a bit causing a problem, Mark fixed it.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and I can't think of a single top level player (snooker or pool) that plays with a straight arm.

Oh well. I'm not sure Cdrydan is looking to debate Mark's position on this. I really do want to get my hands on that book.

Really ? I haven't really thought about it much, but I thought most pro pool players have their bridge arm straight ?

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering why he would consider this a bad thing?

Having my arm bent put my body in the wrong position and caused issues with my overall stroke.

I'm not sure that's true, unless we're speaking strictly about the Lance Perkins-style pool stance (i.e. the foot on the same side of the body as your grip hand is placed 45-degrees to the shot line, and the hips are swiveled away from the shot line).

In the snooker stance -- where you stand square-on to the shot line (i.e. the foot on the same side of your body as your grip hand is standing on and pointed INTO the shot line), you have no choice but to "reach over" from the opposite side of the body with the bridge arm to place that bridge onto the table. And many a snooker pro bends the arm slightly to do that.

-Sean

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really ? I haven't really thought about it much, but I thought most pro pool players have their bridge arm straight ?

Most of them are close to straight but not rigidly straight.

The snooker guys can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Joe Davis was the snooker pro who once upon a time recommended the straight bridge arm. That's pretty much been discarded by today's players.

From what I've seen pool players are pretty much the same.

Attachments

• MC2008_M10_015_-_Shane_van_Boening.jpg
    MC2008_M10_015_-_Shane_van_Boening.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 2009wpm09_vandenberg_archer_051.jpg
    2009wpm09_vandenberg_archer_051.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 485
  • AlexPagulayanDay7c.jpg
    AlexPagulayanDay7c.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 452
  • joe_davis_235_ds_logo_3.jpg
    joe_davis_235_ds_logo_3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 469

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Not sure which is right or not but I can look up all of those and find examples of straight arms as well. Maybe it's more dependent on the shot at hand.