More weight or play with extension

michaelsu51216

Registered
So im kinda getting into pool and was thinking of getting my first cue, i've always played on house cues and have a big problem with long shots, some times i make them accurately sometimes my cue just shifts at the last minute and i miss, i know theres obviously a problem with my stroke but someone told me adding weight to the cue can stabilise your stroke? So i was wondering to either add more weight on the cue(21oz after adding weights) or play with a permanent extension(Cuetec 6 inch extension)? What do you think? The house cue weighs about 18oz and my hand lies on the end of the wrap with an average bridge.

Pangit

Banned
So im kinda getting into pool and was thinking of getting my first cue, i've always played on house cues and have a big problem with long shots, some times i make them accurately sometimes my cue just shifts at the last minute and i miss, i know theres obviously a problem with my stroke but someone told me adding weight to the cue can stabilise your stroke? So i was wondering to either add more weight on the cue(21oz after adding weights) or play with a permanent extension(Cuetec 6 inch extension)? What do you think? The house cue weighs about 18oz and my hand lies on the end of the wrap with an average bridge.

PM Scott Lee.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Try Both-If you can....
See what works BEST FOR YOU

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Can I assume that when you say "long shots" in your post you are talking about shots where you have to stretch out to get your bridge hand close to the cue ball or just long shots in general?

If you are talking about the kind of shots that make you stretch out, since you are fairly new to pool, let me advise you to get familiar using a mechanical bridge.
I've seen games, even matches lost because the losing player either did not know how to use a bridge properly or just refused to use it. Some people, for reasons unknown to me, associate/develop a stigma about it.

If your talking about long shots in general....hit a million balls and then see how your pocketing long shot skills become.

And yes....your stroke is one of the most important aspects of shooting pool (along with your eyesight).

Keep at it. Practice as often as you can. You'll get there.

Maniac

michaelsu51216

Registered
Can I assume that when you say "long shots" in your post you are talking about shots where you have to stretch out to get your bridge hand close to the cue ball or just long shots in general?

If you are talking about the kind of shots that make you stretch out, since you are fairly new to pool, let me advise you to get familiar using a mechanical bridge.
I've seen games, even matches lost because the losing player either did not know how to use a bridge properly or just refused to use it. Some people, for reasons unknown to me, associate/develop a stigma about it.

If your talking about long shots in general....hit a million balls and then see how your pocketing long shot skills become.

And yes....your stroke is one of the most important aspects of shooting pool (along with your eyesight).

Keep at it. Practice as often as you can. You'll get there.

Maniac

I meant when the object ball is at one end of the table and the cue ball is at the other so a lot of distance between the two, my test strokes are really steady but its always the actual hitting stroke that is unsteady and it either goes in or goes off completely, should i try a heavier cue? Will it be beneficial?

joshuaNYC

App Developer
Yes and No

Yes, adding weight, particularly length, will make it easier to feel the line of your shot. Thusly, it's easier to make all shots, particularly long ones.

There are some drawbacks like your cue will be more rear-weighted, which is decidedly unideal for short shots or shots where the cue ball is on the rail. Watch Shane VB play and you'll notice that he removes his extension if the cueball is on the rail.

Lastly, practice those long shots without changing your cue. Perhaps a 19 or 20 oz cue is worth using, but if you're only suffering accuracy on long shots, it's probably more in your head than in your hand. If you focus on being relaxed and delivering a smooth stroke with the faith that you'll get where you need to to make the ball, you probably will :) AND your stroke will thank you for it.

Good luck!