Outrageous Ruling at Hard Times TADCUP

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This story made me so sick I almost couldn't stand it.

If that happened to me, I'd NEVER EVER replay that match and while I was busy calling BS to the TD, I'd make an ass out of him for even suggesting such a stupid thing.

Why not just cry at the end of EVERY loss and get mulligans until you're blue in the face?

Sickening.

Why would any7 TD work for such a prooter and why would the plaers tand for it? Right is just ringht.
This game needs some adults, badly!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crazy stuff.

Over a couple years, I played a good player quite a few times in tournaments and in 2 particular events, we beat each other decidedly, 9-1 and 7-0 (I don't recall which was which). How anyone with any pool acumen at all can think that it isn't normal to occasionally lose a tourney set to a weaker player is beyond me.

Only way I would have replayed is if the TD would announce to the field that re-dos are available, and you bet he would have known that if I lost the rematch, I would be invoking mine.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure. I'll play.
I still don't get it. The last two do you mean after the break? Or is it basically once the player getting the spot pots the 3rd to last ball on the table its game over?
Think I'd rather have that than the 8ball.

getting the 'last 2' means the last 2 balls on the table are money balls for he who is gettings pot (potting '3rd to last ball on the table' is not a win).

There is no spot ball until there are only 2 left on the table.

The 8 is still better- and will more times than not be one of the last 2.

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What an idiot director

Here is a story for u about the same thing.........in 1979 they had a high dollar bar table tourny in anadarko, okla. It was handicaped...matlock was ther along with 20 other high rated players. Me and jr. Norris went up there with dick lane...all 3 of us rated 10..........ratings were 5 to 10... Anyway i played a guy that was a 5and i went to 10 he went to 5......9 ball winner breaks.... We flipped and he won.......and ran 5 racks.....i said something to duggan matlocks stakehorse?? He says that happens all the time up here!!!!!! Anyway long story short later in the tourny the director got shot....lucky for him he didnt die.........sparky

omgwtf

massiveunderstatement.com
Silver Member
The TAD Cup is a great tournament for B players in Southern California. Like all handicapped tournaments, it will never exist without a certain measure of butt-hurtness and controversy. Here is my opinion on what happened this year and what will happen going forward.

1. I do not think the match should have been replayed. I think the losing player (Player A) could make a case to have his rating adjusted and then continue with the adjusted rating through the B-side.

2. The tournament director(s) do a great job running this shindig. From what I understand, the decision to replay the match was done by the sponsor. That is a tough spot for the tournament directors to be in, since you do not want to lose the goodwill of your event sponsor (you need dough to run these shows).

3. Going forward, I do not think the tournament directors will allow such a thing to happen again, nor will the sponsor accede again to a similar request.

4. I do not think Player A will ask for a replayed match ever again. He will learn to grind it out on the B-side like the rest of us that lost our first matches. Or not. But he will never get a second chance like the one he was given in this tournament.

5. The dude who won the tournament and the cue is a nice guy, as was the second place winner, as was everyone in general (except me, hahaha). This tournament is a fun, tough competition designed to give the B-players something to strive for and a reason to improve their games throughout the year.

6. I did knock Player A out of the tournament, hill-hill (we played even). He kicks very well, due to an excellent background in three-cushion. It was a hard-fought match and we both played like shit. I missed second-to-last.

7. SkyscraperChris is a great graphic designer and this year's TAD Cup poster is by far my favorite. I hope he does next year's poster as well.

8. I hope everyone is having a great summer. Play more tournaments. Drink more beer. Eat more BBQ.

:)

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The TAD Cup is a great tournament for B players in Southern California. Like all handicapped tournaments, it will never exist without a certain measure of butt-hurtness and controversy.
:)

Will you be giving a blow-by-blow on your blog?

Taek

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Love it... all pet peeves of mine. But a great story involving the last gripe. That happened to my uncle and I about 6 times. However they didn't realize that they were giving my uncle a bye. He was open speed, at that time if I broke an ran 1 rack out of a hundred, 2 shots must have went in by accident. We used to laugh about it. He would win, and we would split anyways. But letting my uncle play me first was a great warm up for him... :) I was a $ 20.00 dollar buffer... :D

JV

Happens all the time and it isn't a big deal.

Tons of stuff are not fair and I can make a list...okay I will name a few.

1. Tournament starts at 12:00, Calcutta at 11:00. Telephone calls are made and folks announce that "Bob" and "John" are on the way but aren't here yet. Calcutta goes off and then at 12:00. Bob and John aren't here yet, we wait and the tournament either starts late or we "go around them" until they show up.

or

2. Calcutta starts at 11:00, we go through the Calcutta , NOW, a couple more players shows up. I have bought a couple and now two top players show up and they say lets let them in. You can buy them if you want, so its fair right? No because the guys I bought now finish 4 and 5 and these ya-hoos finish ahead and push my horses out of the Calcutta!

or

3 WPBA - Seeding players. geez, no wonder the same folks always end in the finals. ALL YOU ALLISON lovers out there, before you tell me how great she, tell me how her top finishes were in the DCC were there ISNT seeding in tournaments.

or

4. You and your friend go about 100 miles for a regional tournament and there are about 64 players in the tournament. IN THE FIRST ROUND, you play your friend. HOW MANY FREAKIN TIMES DOES THIS HAPPEN? (Often if you are me). Do you have ANY idea the odds of this happening once? twice? Something is shady and it happens often, very often.

My point? There are tons of $hit in pool at all levels. Did you friend get a dirty deal? Yep he did. YOU can either get over it, or not. But this isn't the first time and it sure as hell aint going to be the last time.

Ken

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Taek

good grief! can't a girl walk into a pool room for once in her life an not get hit on?

wtf?
iodfrW6yRnmiPYRFRAk9_happens_to_the_best_of_us.jpg

omgwtf

massiveunderstatement.com
Silver Member

Taek

Probably not. I think this was the only real controversy worth mentioning. I didn't hear about it until I was KO'd and Player A had brought in the thread printout for the pool room to read.

Besides, I have a backlog of event summaries to do and I am extremely lazy.

;)

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you live life passively. "He did a shitty thing. Let's shut up about it and move on with life. While we're at it, let's not make a big deal about it, this way it can happen more and more."

I am not a sheep. I will not sit by idly and let this happen. Nor do I think any of the players think the way you do, who paid $50 or $75 to enter.

Chris -

Nope. But after a while I have learned that I am the fish (and you are too), and we are swimming upstream.

You can *****, moan, groan etc. It will never make it right, and IT WILL happen again, if not this way, some other way as I noted.

Vote with your dollars verses your mouth. I say that, but pool players have so little places to play and options, that I sometimes go back to places where I have been wronged.

I have pretty much stopped playing in tournaments as there is always some type of bull$hit that you have to put up as I noted earlier. Do you think I didn't gripe when it was done? Yep, I did. But did it stop? Nope.

Chris, I wish you the best of rolls my friend. I feel your pain.

Ken

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member
Chris -

Nope. But after a while I have learned that I am the fish (and you are too), and we are swimming upstream.

You can *****, moan, groan etc. It will never make it right, and IT WILL happen again, if not this way, some other way as I noted.

Vote with your dollars verses your mouth. I say that, but pool players have so little places to play and options, that I sometimes go back to places where I have been wronged.

I have pretty much stopped playing in tournaments as there is always some type of bull$hit that you have to put up as I noted earlier. Do you think I didn't gripe when it was done? Yep, I did. But did it stop? Nope.

Chris, I wish you the best of rolls my friend. I feel your pain.

Ken

Many things in life suck, and complaining and making a stand DOES make a difference, even if it isn't evident immediately. What he did won't be done again, and no promoter or director at Hard Times will ever make the same mistake again. Sure we'll always have the sandbaggers and the sharks, but what we won't have is match replays based on a complaint of this nature.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many things in life suck, and complaining and making a stand DOES make a difference, even if it isn't evident immediately. What he did won't be done again, and no promoter or director at Hard Times will ever make the same mistake again. Sure we'll always have the sandbaggers and the sharks, but what we won't have is match replays based on a complaint of this nature.

Chris -

I am an old man of 49 (almost 50), and I will bet you any amount that the event next year WILL have an issue. Maybe not the same one, but an issue never the less.

Never been to any event that everyone was happy. Human nature, maybe?

I agree replaying the match showed how weak the TD was and was flat out wrong.

But don't think there wont be issues, even the same issue next year. Sorry just 30-40 years of experience talking.

Best of rolls,

Ken

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I think your scenario is a bit of a different animal, Lyn.

I get what you're saying here, but it seems your example was an error on the TD's part.
That said, the TD (in my opinion) in your example should have A) given you the option, and/or B) given the "late" player (prepaid or not) either his money back or left him on the one-loss side.
And unless the "Late Prepaid Player" called the TD to let him know that they were running late (in which case the TD would have/could have 'postponed' your match with him), then the LPP is... quite frankly... LATE.

If that's the case, then the LPP should be on time if he wants to play his first match.

To try and align your example with the OP's a bit more:

What if (instead of the prepaid player being late), you had played said prepaid player and beaten him/her ? And then that player chose to go to the TD or promoter, who then suggested that you play a rematch ?

I think the question posed such as this is more in line with what the OP has presented...

Mickey <--- :cool:

You are absolutely correct!!! Not a good analogy. Just a unusual situation at a pool tournament. If this is the worst thing to happen to me at a pool tournament, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Lyn

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

I agree with you.

Making a stand DOES make a difference, even if it isn't evident immediately.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's for amateurs. I know amateurs. I've played amateurs. When it comes to shooting balls, OMGWTF is no amateur!

Tate,

I've seen OMGWTF play a couple times. She is a good female player but still an amateur.
I work 40 hours per week and consider myself a good amateur player. I'm sure she would not want to play me for any large sum, but I could be wrong. ;)

Diamond69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the strangest thing I have ever heard. And makes my next question even more important,
I am not too far away from Sacremento and was planning on going to Hardtimes for the first time as it looks amazing. Although I'd like to watch the top players I would like to play in a tournament.

Which one should I play in? Weekly or Monthly?

What level will I be? I class myself a B player but am not sure as I am new to the area and the level seems somehwat higher than where I was before. I do not want to make the trip and get shafted in this rating system.

I don't live out there, so don't know all the tourney details, but to answer your question....

Play in the weekly. Expect to be placed at a higher level and play the game. Go each week and eventually your handicap will find the correct level. At that point, you'll be a regular with the right handicap.

People should not go into a tourney and pine for a lower handicap. If you don't like your handicap, don't play.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
...but still I think this whole situation falls into the Best Evidence doctrine. We here at AZ, being the judge and jury in all matters pool, deserve the best evidence ...

Under California rules of evidence, the best evidence rule (BER) provides that, where a writing, photograph, or recording is offered in evidence, a copy or other secondary evidence of its content will not be received in place of the original document unless an adequate explanation is offered for the absence of the original. Here, we are not dealing with player b's writing, photograph, or recording, but his oral statement to Mr. Skyscraper. Therefore, the BER does not apply, and the best way to get b's statement admitted into evidence is probably through the "spontaneous statement" exception to hearsay.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Under California rules of evidence, the best evidence rule (BER) provides that, where a writing, photograph, or recording is offered in evidence, a copy or other secondary evidence of its content will not be received in place of the original document unless an adequate explanation is offered for the absence of the original. Here, we are not dealing with player b's writing, photograph, or recording, but his oral statement to Mr. Skyscraper. Therefore, the BER does not apply, and the best way to get b's statement admitted into evidence is probably through the "spontaneous statement" exception to hearsay.

Can't we just subpoena player A, B the TD and The Sponsor and hear direct testimony?

I'm submitting your BER argument to Julianna Margulies (I don't want to bother the partners with simple rules of law).

Last edited:

fast&loose designs

Chris Santana
Silver Member

He's coming on here soon to spell it all out for those of you who would rather believe that Player A is innocent and that the rules should be bent to benefit him. Or you would rather believe that this was all made up. I don't really know why you want to think I am lying or twisting this story. It is simple and there is no mystery or underlying cause for him to do what he did that would make it OK.