Triumph Cue Tips

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I'm looking at stocking another single layer tip and possibly using them for my standard tip on my cues. What is the consensus on Triumph tips? I used them back in '94 or so, but don't really remember anything about them. How do they compare to Triangle and LePro tips? How well do they maintain shape and hold chalk? How do they feel? Is their quality consistent? Is there another tip you would recommend instead?

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking at stocking another single layer tip and possibly using them for my standard tip on my cues. What is the consensus on Triumph tips? I used them back in '94 or so, but don't really remember anything about them. How do they compare to Triangle and LePro tips? How well do they maintain shape and hold chalk? How do they feel? Is their quality consistent? Is there another tip you would recommend instead?

I wouldn't recommend them - they were developed as a suposedly close
aproximation to a French Champion. I tried them way back when.

They played good for about two weeks, then turned to crapola.

Of course, YMMV.

Dale

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
I wouldn't recommend them - they were developed as a suposedly close
aproximation to a French Champion. I tried them way back when.

They played good for about two weeks, then turned to crapola.

Of course, YMMV.

Dale

I guess I'll cross them off my list. Thanks much. I'm looking for something firmer than a Triangle in a single layer. And yes, a cone or pyramid would be stiffer, so don't even say it.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I have stopped using them. They like to fall off the red pad that they are on. Even had one come off while shaping a new install. That's when I threw the rest of the box out.
I use the milkduds from muellers a lot.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'll cross them off my list. Thanks much. I'm looking for something firmer than a Triangle in a single layer. And yes, a cone or pyramid would be stiffer, so don't even say it.

How about the WB water buffalo tips - harder than Triangle - hold their
shape and last forever-ish.

Dale

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not used them in many years. Here is why I stopped. At the time it seemed to me the Triump was just an uncoated LePro glued to a red pad. It was not as hard as the true French Champion that they were trying to compete with. And the glue was a soft cement type of glue that held them on the pad. They came off easily. So I figured I could use better glue on my own pad with a LePro and have the same thing without as many problems. Please note that I cannot say if the issues have been fixed as I have not used them in a very long time, like close to twenty years, and they may have improved the glue since then.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

LePro would be firmer than a Triangle. And firmer still would be the Water Buffalo tip.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
help with triumph tips

I like the way the tips play ! Muellers hardness chart had them listed as just softer than a LePro. I have installed many on my cues and others with out a problem, until now! They are from the same box as the others I have used and I am installing them the same way. It is one cue that I keep having trouble with the tip still atatched to the pad popping off. When installing, I face the ferrule ( uncapped and linen ) then I use rubberized cyno to glue it on. Should I maybe prime the tip and ferrule or switch to epoxy. I apologize if I am hi-jacking this thread but till now, had no problems.
Thank You Jim

Reactions: Vyc

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do look similar to the old champions, but not the same IMO. In the past I've had similar experiences with the tip separating from the pad on occasion. The pad stayed on the ferrule but the tip can come loose from that. I had success with them holding after gluing back on, and still have a box of them laying around, but I don't recommend them to anyone, and I don't get many requests for them anymore. The WB's are fairly hard, and some people like those. I have seen some blow chunks out of the edges though. More so when used for breaking. Some of them seem more brittle then others though, and that issue doesn't occur with every install.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used many Triumphs over the years with little problems once the primary problem was corrected. The tip is glued to the pad with contact cement. The problem with contact cement is if you get it to hot it becomes soft. The remedy that I came up with was that I would glue on the oversize tip as normal but before I would trim to size I would burnish the tip. This would make the glue become soft so that I could easily work the tip off the pad. I would then roll the glue off of the tip or the pad, which ever that it happened to stay on and then, after sanding the back of the tip and the ferrule, I would re-glue as normal and turn to fit. End of problem and the tip would feel more firmally attached to the pad.

You used to be able to get these in 15 mm which was just not wider but also they used a thicker piece of leather which really played much better. They came 40 to a box just like the 15mm LePro's but I don't believe they make them anymore as I haven't seen them advertised for some time.

Dick

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought they were too soft and did not hold their shape. There are just to many other good tips on the market to use them.

jocnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just found that I have 5 full boxes of triumph tips. I have tested the hardness of tips 1 box is 60 the next box is 70. They been sitting for years.

Triumph%2520Pool%2520Cue%2520tips.jpg

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about the WB water buffalo tips - harder than Triangle - hold their
shape and last forever-ish.

Dale
Water Buffalo are great playing tips if you like hard tips and for inexpensive hard tips I think the Superpro tip plays great to.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I've used many Triumphs over the years with little problems once the primary problem was corrected. The tip is glued to the pad with contact cement. The problem with contact cement is if you get it to hot it becomes soft. The remedy that I came up with was that I would glue on the oversize tip as normal but before I would trim to size I would burnish the tip. This would make the glue become soft so that I could easily work the tip off the pad. I would then roll the glue off of the tip or the pad, which ever that it happened to stay on and then, after sanding the back of the tip and the ferrule, I would re-glue as normal and turn to fit. End of problem and the tip would feel more firmally attached to the pad.

You used to be able to get these in 15 mm which was just not wider but also they used a thicker piece of leather which really played much better. They came 40 to a box just like the 15mm LePro's but I don't believe they make them anymore as I haven't seen them advertised for some time.

Dick

Thanks for the tip Dick, I have gone so far as to remove the pad with a razor knife and then prime and glue the leather tip to the ferrule. Those cues are still running 2 years later by friends of mine and they are very happy with the way the tip performs, but, I just don't like the extra steps these require to use them, and have them last...JMHO
DAve

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
LePro would be firmer than a Triangle. And firmer still would be the Water Buffalo tip.

I thought about going with LePro, but they seem to have a lot of quality control issues. I've played with some that were great. I've also played with several that just would not hold chalk. I've never played with a WB tip. I used to use Chandivert Rocky tips.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I press them before use and they are great! I thought they would play too soft for me with the pad, but I would compare them to a Triangle. They hold their shape well and grab the cueball plenty for me. I've never had any problem with separation. After Dick helped me with a install issue I'm on my second box without any problems. Thanks again Dick! If I haven't said so before, I've learned a bunch from you and others on the forum!

If you're using super glue, wet the pad with a damp paper towel just before glueing it to the ferrule. Some of my customers didn't have a preference, and asked for a recommendation. So, I started putting on Triumphs. Good reviews thusfar and customers returning asking for another. My advice, don't say no until you try one pressed. Good luck, and I hope this helps! :thumbup: