flat faced shaft on piloted joint

ky4some

Registered
Thanks for the reply. And maybe I should provide some more details. I have an old Schon in below average condition that my son uses, shaft is rough. It was a pawn shop find years ago to get him started. He's got an opportunity to buy a OB1 Classic shaft at a very good price and was thinking it may be a nice shaft upgrade. But the OB shaft is flat faced and the Schon has a piloted joint. Was wondering if the match would be solid enough. Opinions welcome.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. And maybe I should provide some more details. I have an old Schon in below average condition that my son uses, shaft is rough. It was a pawn shop find years ago to get him started. He's got an opportunity to buy a OB1 Classic shaft at a very good price and was thinking it may be a nice shaft upgrade. But the OB shaft is flat faced and the Schon has a piloted joint. Was wondering if the match would be solid enough. Opinions welcome.

In another word, yes

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It'll work fine. I wouldn't break w it but It shouldn't be bothered by regular play. I've done it before in a pinch

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd get him a shaft that fits the Schon. I think their shafts are 5/16 x 14.

Flat faced would work but might not stay tight.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ozone billiards sells an "o3"shaft u can get 5/16-14 insert for svhon they are 55 bucks. Thought about trying one myself at,the,price

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ozone billiards sells an "o3"shaft u can get 5/16-14 insert for svhon they are 55 bucks. Thought about trying one myself at,the,price

Could probably get a used schon shaft cheaper than what you would pay for the O3 and insert.

ky4some

Registered
Thanks for the input. And huge thanks for the tip on the Ozone O3 shaft. That's cheaper than the OB1 we were looking at. I think I will give it a try.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The schon shaft isn't LD. I have two schons. And half a dozen shafts from schon. U aren't getting a good used schon shaft for less than 75$. I wouldn't let mine go for less than a hundred apiece and the ivory ferrule ones I'd get $200 for

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

Is that a generic 5/16-14 insert or a true Schon insert. On Schon, not only are the threads different, but the pilot is .530", larger than the generic .500".

IMO, a pilot .030" too small defeats it's usefullness.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only thing that fits schon right perfect is schon shaft I know. Jacoby is real snug on a schon but.
Joss pilots don't fit snug on joss cues. Its basically just an insert that adds front weight. And possibly that ping sound hit that steel joint cue guys like

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Can you use a flat faced shaft on a piloted stainless joint?

There's a more important thing you have to ask yourself, and it can only be found out when you put the flat face shaft on a piloted joint.

And that is, does the shaft joint surface snug up nice and flush to the joint? If so, good so far. Snug it down, you see daylight, problem. Second question, is the diameter of the shaft joint about the same as the joint? If so, good. if way different, especially larger, you may get some wobble issues. It also may be uneven compared to the joint. Shaft may have a warp in the first place, maybe not. Lot of nasty refinish work out there that unevens things. Give it a good look.

Flush fit, no matter whether flat or piloted, and what about that diameter. Hope that helps. And as always,

All the best,
WW

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will offers sound advice with meaningful information unlike the one word answer proffered earlier
that was incomplete and misleading but that’s pretty typical considering the source of the opinion.

ky4some

Registered
There's a more important thing you have to ask yourself, and it can only be found out when you put the flat face shaft on a piloted joint.

And that is, does the shaft joint surface snug up nice and flush to the joint? If so, good so far. Snug it down, you see daylight, problem. Second question, is the diameter of the shaft joint about the same as the joint? If so, good. if way different, especially larger, you may get some wobble issues. It also may be uneven compared to the joint. Shaft may have a warp in the first place, maybe not. Lot of nasty refinish work out there that unevens things. Give it a good look.

Flush fit, no matter whether flat or piloted, and what about that diameter. Hope that helps. And as always,

All the best,
WW

Thanks for the input.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks for the input.

Always, glad to help.

One more tip. Clean the joint pin good, paper towel, against those threads. And then, clean the inside of the shaft insert, with a folded paper towel. Screw it in good, then back it out slowly, so you don't lose some of the towel. A lot of crap will come out. Can't tell you the number of times I've solved a guy's problem with a cue vibrating because too much dirt was inside the joint surfaces. Keep those joints clean.

All the best,
WW

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't seem like any trouble to come up with spacers; male or female; makes me wonder too if say a soft spacer would soften the hit etc...

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always, glad to help.

One more tip. Clean the joint pin good, paper towel, against those threads. And then, clean the inside of the shaft insert, with a folded paper towel. Screw it in good, then back it out slowly, so you don't lose some of the towel. A lot of crap will come out. Can't tell you the number of times I've solved a guy's problem with a cue vibrating because too much dirt was inside the joint surfaces. Keep those joints clean.

All the best,
WW

Thats clever , never ever thought of that . Thanks !
But , mind elaborating exactly how do you fit in a paper towel into the shaft insert and trying to screw the butt joint in ?
Wont the paper get ripped n get stuck inside ?

A picture will be good :)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
I play with a Runde w/ Searing shaft that has a very slight overhang at the joint, I’m tempted to ask Bob to build a shaft slightly overhanging to see if that’s why I like it so much. I don’t think there is a reason, certain pieces of wood and material just work. 2nd best playing cue I’ve tried was off the wall, was able to get it cheap but still haven’t had it converted years later.