why so many kicks/skids?

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since they're always hit dead vertical center by the CB, OBs always slide a little ways before starting to pick up rolling rotation from friction with the cloth. Could this be what you saw, with the number conveniently oriented to vividly illustrate it for you?

pj
chgo

He was talking about debris on the table, which could cause what he’s talking about.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He was talking about debris on the table, which could cause what he’s talking about.
I don't think debris on the table can cause what he described.

What I think he's talking about is when you get a skid with follow on the cue ball and the object ball is rotating backwards (draw) for a short time and then is sliding without rotating, and then acquires forward roll as it moves down the table. In fact the OB does not stop briefly although it may appear to when this happens.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think debris on the table can cause what he described.

What I think he's talking about is when you get a skid with follow on the cue ball and the object ball is rotating backwards (draw) for a short time and then is sliding without rotating, and then acquires forward roll as it moves down the table. In fact the OB does not stop briefly although it may appear to when this happens.

I can't speak for him, but I thought he was referring to when a ball's path is interrupted by a piece of debris, then makes it over the hump and rolls past it. I've seen that a lot with dirty tables.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesn't make sense to me. Balls don't slow down and then speed back up. And chalk on the ball only causes skids when it's exactly on the contact point between the CB and OB when they collide.

A skid (or "cling") is when the OB is thrown more than normal on a cut shot, going straighter than expected - or, on a straight shot, when the CB jumps up a little on contact with the OB ("climbs" the OB) and both balls go slower than expected afterward. Whatever happens before or after the CB/OB collision is something else.

pj
chgo

What I stated has happened several times. It may be a combination of dirty OBs and chalk on the cloth. The tables I play on get new cloth once a year and are never cleaned. Once the OB hits that spot with chalk, whether a straight shot or cut, it has a tendency to to slow down, skid whatever you want to call it. The outcome; always a missed shot.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since they're always hit dead vertical center by the CB, OBs always slide a little ways before starting to pick up rolling rotation from friction with the cloth. Could this be what you saw, with the number conveniently oriented to vividly illustrate it for you?

pj
chgo

I’m sure that happens, but the OB has travelled well past the OB and cue ball contact point when it happens to me. Since I use mainly top or bottom english, the combination of spin on the OB imparted by the cue ball and dirty OBs and chalk on the cloth could be the cause. In 30 years of playing on tables that were cleaned regularly and object balls cleaned daily, I never had that happen.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's attributed to George Bernard Shaw that British and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language.

The British have a different word for everything. It's like they don't even speak English any more.;) For instance, they can put several bags of groceries into their boots.:eek: I don't think they have any special word for cushion-first shots. Banks they call "doubles". Crazy.

Different words for this single problem of too much friction at the contact point:
skid, cling -- US English
kick -- UK English and the snooker world
bad contact, heavy contact -- carom players speaking English
buttage -- French (boo-tahj)

Here is a video in French talking about "buttages" and demonstrating them:
http://corcelia1.over-blog.com/2016/06/le-buttage-au-billard.html

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crazy..
I just got done playing and have never experienced more kicks in such a short period of time
must've been 4-5 in about an hour and a half
only one of them occurred with my using outside english
seemingly only significant change in playing conditions is my tip,
which is now much more hard after shaving it down pretty good
the tip is also made of paper (more on that later).
hard tip? murphy's law? tonight, on "mysteries of pool"...

Weather, hot, sticky = more skids
Balls not clean = more skids
Stroke a bit "funny" = more skids
Crap on the table ( dirt, powder) = more skids

The stroke being funny and playing with a harder tip can be hand in hand, both would affect how the cueball is struck.

Almost every skid I have had was after I did something odd with my stroke, like tried to hold it up for speed.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weather, hot, sticky = more skids
Balls not clean = more skids
Crap on the table ( dirt, powder) = more skids

The stroke being funny and playing with a harder tip can be hand in hand, both would affect how the cueball is struck.

Almost every skid I have had was after I did something odd with my stroke, like tried to hold it up for speed.
hey hang, thanks for the reply.
balls are clean, table's clean, weather's nice..but what you say about the stroke being funny
I think that may have played a part, plus whatever pool voodoo shows up from time to time:grin:
thanks again.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

...what you say about the stroke being funny
I think that may have played a part
Sorry guys, but the stroke and the tip have nothing to do with it (but I'm interested in why you think they might).

The good news is our bad strokes won't cause more skids.

The bad news is our good strokes won't cause fewer skids.

pj
chgo

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry guys, but the stroke and the tip have nothing to do with it (but I'm interested in why you think they might).

The good news is our bad strokes won't cause more skids.

The bad news is our good strokes won't cause fewer skids.

pj
chgo

Actually, stroke has everything to do with why skids happen. It is the sole reason the cue ball gains momentum. It is the sole influence on causing spin to be applied. I can almost intentionally cause a ball to skid by stroking through the cue ball incorrectly. It’s a three part combo. The cloth needs to be relatively slick, the balls need to be appropriately dirty, and the final part, the cue ball movement needs the proper spin and speed to make that skid. How else is the cue ball going to cause a skid if the stroke doesn’t tell the cue ball what to do?

But the tip? Yea that has nothing to do with in/decreasing skids.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Actually, stroke has everything to do with why skids happen.
Nope, don't think so. How do you think that happens?

I can almost intentionally cause a ball to skid by stroking through the cue ball incorrectly.
Why "almost" if the stroke controls it?

How else is the cue ball going to cause a skid if the stroke doesn’t tell the cue ball what to do?
The cue ball doesn't cause a skid - more than usual friction between the balls at the point of contact does (usually a spot of chalk on the CB).

This is pretty well known.

pj
chgo

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, don't think so. How do you think that happens?

Why "almost" if the stroke controls it?

The cue ball doesn't cause a skid - more than usual friction between the balls at the point of contact does (usually a spot of chalk on the CB).

This is pretty well known.

pj
chgo

So you can’t provide evidence as to why you don’t think so? “It is known”? Pathetic

And why almost, because it’s hard to neuter a stroke intentionally to maintain a skid level contact. And I mean almost in the sense of 7/10 attempts I could cause a skid, 3/10 my stroke wouldn’t be quite right.

An object ball cannot be skidded without the cue ball contacting it. So explain how the cue ball doesn’t cause the skid when it is literally half the equation for a skid to occur? A perfectly clean cue ball, object ball, and clean cloth still cause skids.

If it isn’t an improper stroking of the cue ball that causes skids, then why does every pro level situation in which we see the skid only occur happen when the player is attempting a slight stun/roll shot?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
So you can’t provide evidence as to why you don’t think so?
Actually, you can provide the evidence (if you really want to know)...

Hit a bunch of shots with and without whatever stroke you think makes skids more likely. Tell us how many more skids you get with the "skid stroke". (Not normal throw just maximized with a stun hit, but actual obvious skid.)

Thanks in advance,

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, you can provide the evidence (if you really want to know)...

Hit a bunch of shots with and without whatever stroke you think makes skids more likely. Tell us how many more skids you get with the "skid stroke". (Not normal throw made a little "extra" with a stun hit, but actual obvious skid.)

Thanks in advance,

pj
chgo

I’m providing reasoning to my introduction of the topic. You’re just spouting off saying “it is known” without any justification. A skid occurs when the cue ball has extended contact with the object ball. That occurs when the cue ball has more forward momentum of itself than it imparts on the object ball. The cue ball is effectively trying to climb up the object ball, and that’s what causes the skid. Extra chalk at contact point increases the chances of a skid. But a cleanly/properly struck cue ball will never cause a skid.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I’m providing reasoning to my introduction of the topic. You’re just spouting off saying “it is known” without any justification.
If you're actually interested in learning about it, it's been discussed lots of times here - do a search and pay special attention to what Dr. Dave, Bob Jewett and Mike Page (our resident scientists) say about it. For starters, here's Dr. Dave's "resource page" about the topic.

A skid occurs when the cue ball has extended contact with the object ball. That occurs when the cue ball has more forward momentum of itself than it imparts on the object ball.
I get how it can seem that way, but I don't think that actually means anything.

pj
chgo

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're actually interested in learning about it, it's been discussed lots of times here - do a search and pay special attention to what Dr. Dave, Bob Jewett and Mike Page (our resident scientists) say about it. For starters, here's Dr. Dave's "resource page" about the topic.

I get how it can seem that way, but I don't think that actually means anything.

pj
chgo

Well for one, you can stop thinking, and actually start knowing. How else does a cue ball extend its contact time? Proper speed/spin at contact. You’re really grasping at straws here Patrick. Knock it off.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
How else does a cue ball extend its contact time?
As I (and the others I recommended to you) have said over and over, nothing the cue ball does extends its own contact time beyond normal throw - extra friction between the CB and OB exactly at the point of contact (usually a spot of chalk) does that.

No skin off my nose if you don't want to learn about this stuff - but other readers deserve the facts.

pj
chgo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I (and the others I recommended to you) have said over and over, nothing the cue ball does extends its own contact time beyond normal throw - extra friction between the CB and OB exactly at the point of contact (usually a spot of chalk) does that.

No skin off my nose if you don't want to learn about this stuff - but other readers deserve the facts.

pj
chgo
PJ, i see about 2-3 skids a month(either mine or other's) and its ALWAYS dirty balls. Totally agree with your's, Dr.D's and others on this.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
PJ, i see about 2-3 skids a month(either mine or other's) and its ALWAYS dirty balls. Totally agree with your's, Dr.D's and others on this.
I think there might be some confusion about more normal throw vs. skid. For instance, a slow stun hit increases the amount of normal throw - that could be mistaken for skid.

pj
chgo