how many wearing earphones/ earbuds while playing

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but you should know that it's against some rules (e.g., BCA league) to do so. The rationale is that it could interfere with communication, like calling shots.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In most tournaments and in BCA events it is against the rules. Why would I want to get used to something and then in some instances, have to change? I don't wear em and really don't know many that do.

liakos

Banned
It's just rude imho

I respectfully disagree:) I've played many players both with and without THEM wearing them. I can't think of one time that someone with them did I ever have an issue! But the ones without,,,, man have I got stories;) lol!

As for me wearing them personally?? I don't know! I'm one of those players that can't play with anything on me that bothers me in any way. I can't even have keys in my pocket when I'm playing. Never mind wires and junk sticking out of my ears! But to each his own:):) that's all personal preference to me. To the op,,,, try it out!

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im like you..,

I respectfully disagree:) I've played many players both with and without THEM wearing them. I can't think of one time that someone with them did I ever have an issue! But the ones without,,,, man have I got stories;) lol!

As for me wearing them personally?? I don't know! I'm one of those players that can't play with anything on me that bothers me in any way. I can't even have keys in my pocket when I'm playing. Never mind wires and junk sticking out of my ears! But to each his own:):) that's all personal preference to me. To the op,,,, try it out!

I have tried to play with them, there are a couple of problems: If the music in the place you are playing is loud, and it always is here, you have to turn the volume up on your head set so loud that it can be distracting.

If you Love music you have to find something you like, but something that wont distract from your play.

Lastly, if you are a rhythm player, it can take a while to get use to not hearing the sound of hitting the balls or them hitting the pockets.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Never when playing, its just too hard to shark and even harder to be sharked.
When I practice it sets me free from thinking too much...I just play. When I have my music on I can no longer hear the tip striking the cue ball. I instead must feel the contact and there is something magical about the way a well struck ball feels. For those of you who have never tried it give it a shot.

liakos

Banned
I have tried to play with them, there are a couple of problems: If the music in the place you are playing is loud, and it always is here, you have to turn the volume up on your head set so loud that it can be distracting.

If you Love music you have to find something you like, but something that wont distract from your play.

Lastly, if you are a rhythm player, it can take a while to get use to not hearing the sound of hitting the balls or them hitting the pockets.

Totally agree! I love hearing the tip hit cue ball on a firm shot:) I have a very light grip and when I hit that certain shot, I hear my cue go "doink"! I love that sound:):) and also like when object ball hits the back of the pocket with authority. Let's me know my aim is on!

Stroking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to practice with them before competing but I plan on keeping the volume low and possibly just 1 earbud in so I can still be in touch with my op.. I too like the sound of contacting the ball and pocket. I just get really distracted from background conversation and such. I know I should just block it out but it happens.

liakos

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. I plan to practice with them before competing but I plan on keeping the volume low and possibly just 1 earbud in so I can still be in touch with my op.. I too like the sound of contacting the ball and pocket. I just get really distracted from background conversation and such. I know I should just block it out but it happens.

I had the same problem! What I did to fix it was when I was getting down on my shot, I was anticipating the sound that was going to happen. That automatically cut out all my background noise:) hope that helps

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i occasionally play in a local tourney where the earbud craze has taken over. We have a really good local player who does it, and soon half of the room was trying it thinking it would the cure lol.

I can see the pros and cons to it, but personally id never do it. Part of the pool experience is the banter, talking to your opponent, talking to the people around, just conversation in general not sharking or trying to get in someones head.

It can be a little annoying though when you are trying to get your opponents attention to ask him a question.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find it distracting, if I wear them. I don't mind if other players do.
Ambient noise is easier to block out than drowning it out with music.

I usually never have to talk to my opponent, so they can drown me out if they want.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can play with headphones but usually I try to make my playing experience the same every time. So I try not to change my uniform same shoes ( i own two pair) same type shirt same type pants. As I can't wear them at states or nationals then no headphones. Train like you play...

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it shows weakness if used during a match. Do what you want during practice but when I see a player use them during a match I think he/she has trouble with concentration. Too many people blame their mistakes on outside distractions. It happens to us all but that is part of the game, learn to focus and overcome.

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
I can see the pros and cons to it, but personally id never do it. Part of the pool experience is the banter, talking to your opponent, talking to the people around, just conversation in general not sharking or trying to get in someones head.

This is why I play with earbuds. Banter is NOT part of my pool experience, but I have opponents, friends, and team members who think nothing of talking to me while I'm at the table. I use music to insulate myself from them. It's easier, less disruptive, and less rude than instructing them in my personal ideas about pool etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I think it shows weakness if used during a match. Do what you want during practice but when I see a player use them during a match I think he/she has trouble with concentration. Too many people blame their mistakes on outside distractions. It happens to us all but that is part of the game, learn to focus and overcome.

I wear them if the music is something I don't like, it has nothing to do with weakness. I don't care if you jump up and down in front of me on every shot it doesn't bother me, but play country music and I don't have "headphones" I'll pay you off and leave. Lol

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I prefer to wear ear plugs versus headphones. I find my rhythm gets off depending on the songs playing. I prefer to concentrate without any outside distractions. I don't mind if opponents wear them. As someone said earlier, if you don't hear me call you on the second foul, not my problem.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is why I play with earbuds. Banter is NOT part of my pool experience, but I have opponents, friends, and team members who think nothing of talking to me while I'm at the table. I use music to insulate myself from them. It's easier, less disruptive, and less rude than instructing them in my personal ideas about pool etiquette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand that in a serious event,