red hot pin test for ivory

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought a red hot pin test was a way to verify ivory--- Ivory will not melt and pin won't sink in. Will a red hot pin sink into all the man made materials like aegis, elforyn, ivorin, ect.?

Thanks,
henrylr

tsp&b

Silver Member
I believe that is correct. Ivory will not burn if contacted with a red hot needle. It will smell bad though. It smells like burning hair. The plastic (all plastics) will melt and smells like plastic. You can also check using a uv light. Ivory will glow bright-white under uv light but resins or plastics will appear dull.

Last edited:

henrylr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have only done the hot pin test on a few my cues that have white joints or butt caps and I only do it on the joint face or under the rubber bumper on the butt cap...no clear coat. If it is not ivory the pin sinks in immediatley and the mark is actually hard to see and very small...the sharp point of a small saftey pin is very small. For inlays and ferrules I look for schreger lines.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory u.v. test

If test piece glows under florescent light it could be ivory, the problem with this test, is that not all ivory will glow under u.v
Light.
Same with diamonds, if it glows it is a genuine diamond, but if it doesn't glow it still could be genuine diamond.

That is why in the jewelry business for 45 years I always had to more than one test.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I have only done the hot pin test on a few my cues that have white joints or butt caps and I only do it on the joint face or under the rubber bumper on the butt cap...no clear coat. If it is not ivory the pin sinks in immediatley and the mark is actually hard to see and very small...the sharp point of a small saftey pin is very small. For inlays and ferrules I look for schreger lines.

if you have to resort to a pin test then you need more experience in materials knowledge over ivory and plastics.....damage even the smallest of pin holes is unacceptable