World famous draw stick ready for close investigation

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
thanks for advice

i am not thin skinned,just amazed at the wise cracks

i know this draw stick sounds a bit far fetched

I think the "wise cracks" and humorous responses may all be in good fun and perhaps some are based on how every one of your cues has magical powers, like for instance, being able to bring women to their knees and making other men green with envy, that sort of thing. ;)

You are a rock star, Dean.

Draw on brother. :cool:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do believe you but, way back in a small corner of my mind, I remember your association with Ty!!!

Awaiting the results of the great draw shot exhibition.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
nobody seems malicious

Nobody seems malicious in their comments. I'm a bit skeptical myself but more than willing to be proven wrong. I seem to remember a shaft playing like that but it's primary flex point was behind my bridge hand and I hated the feel of the shaft. Anything is possible. As has been said, wood is wood and no two shafts are identical. The shaft may have a trait that can be copied, it may not.

Putting it on different butts would be interesting too. The first very low deflection "shaft" I ever shot with was my one piece twelve ounce sixty inch snooker cue. That thing was awesomely low deflection on a pool table hitting pool balls. I think the light butt section moving easier had something to do with the low deflection. The effective mass of the tip area was lower than the effective mass of a shaft on a heavier butt section.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Nobody seems malicious in their comments. I'm a bit skeptical myself but more than willing to be proven wrong. I seem to remember a shaft playing like that but it's primary flex point was behind my bridge hand and I hated the feel of the shaft. Anything is possible. As has been said, wood is wood and no two shafts are identical. The shaft may have a trait that can be copied, it may not.

Putting it on different butts would be interesting too. The first very low deflection "shaft" I ever shot with was my one piece twelve ounce sixty inch snooker cue. That thing was awesomely low deflection on a pool table hitting pool balls. I think the light butt section moving easier had something to do with the low deflection. The effective mass of the tip area was lower than the effective mass of a shaft on a heavier butt section.

Hu

I collected a lot of used butts and shafts years ago...I was looking for the perfect cue.
..I finally chose two butts and seven shafts and took them to a cue maker.
...got two great snooker cues out of it.
..one shaft belonged to the light butt...one shaft belonged to the heavy butt...
..the other five were practise shafts....can’t explain why.

Byron Nelson had a similar experience with golf clubs back in the day.
He was known as having the first modern swing...chose his clubs by feel.

They named the swing tester after him...”Iron Byron”
...his clubs were finally tested using this method...all his clubs were matched except one..
..it was either the 4 or 8 iron...he said he never could find one that suited him.

I feel the billiard world is in the pre-Iron Byron period...we either find the cue that suits us..
...or learn to adjust to a cue,
We’ve come a long way...but not everyone agrees to what makes a Strad great either.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was recently in Mongolia in search of the burial site of Genghis Khan. Lost in a remote mountain range I came across a small village. I went to a local to ask about getting a fresh horse and supplies and when he found out I was from America the first thing he asked was whether I had ever played with deanoc's world famous draw stick.

I taught them the game of Iowa three ball and in the process won a horse, 3 goats and a chicken. I ate the chicken. Goats and horse will be in the wanted/for sale section soon.

True story.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I was recently in Mongolia in search of the burial site of Genghis Khan. Lost in a remote mountain range I came across a small village. I went to a local to ask about getting a fresh horse and supplies and when he found out I was from America the first thing he asked was whether I had ever played with deanoc's world famous draw stick.

I taught them the game of Iowa three ball and in the process won a horse, 3 goats and a chicken. I ate the chicken. Goats and horse will be in the wanted/for sale section soon.

True story.

was the chicken kickin'? :eek:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

True story.

FYI....
"Try to get a nice leather saddle, with some bling'
hopefully one of the fancy golden inlaid /multi colored from ,say mexico-or mardi gras...
Something like Elvis Presley might of owned-
"You will be the pride of the rodeo-
I'm tellin you-
Everybody will be turning their heads when you ride up on that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWNQTqMkezc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
was the chicken kickin'? :eek:

Al is stretching the truth here a bit...he couldn’t catch the chicken....
...it wasn’t kickin’...it was runnin’

53BCED10-C360-4E49-B26F-99D33C59F256.jpeg

He found a MickyD’s and had a Big Mac

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping

I collected a lot of used butts and shafts years ago...I was looking for the perfect cue.
..I finally chose two butts and seven shafts and took them to a cue maker.
...got two great snooker cues out of it.
..one shaft belonged to the light butt...one shaft belonged to the heavy butt...
..the other five were practise shafts....can’t explain why.

Byron Nelson had a similar experience with golf clubs back in the day.
He was known as having the first modern swing...chose his clubs by feel.

They named the swing tester after him...”Iron Byron”
...his clubs were finally tested using this method...all his clubs were matched except one..
..it was either the 4 or 8 iron...he said he never could find one that suited him.

I feel the billiard world is in the pre-Iron Byron period...we either find the cue that suits us..
...or learn to adjust to a cue,
We’ve come a long way...but not everyone agrees to what makes a Strad great either.

Truer story than not: My cue shop had a wooden floor. Joists on twelve inch centers, sills on three foot or less centers, this thing was solid. The floor was out of inch and a quarter subfloor panels. Lots and lots of full pads under it, I planned to put a fair sized metal lathe in one corner.

I bought shaft blanks by the gross. First thing was to look at the growth rings. The shaft blanks got graded A,B,C, and D based on the straightness and count of the growth rings. There were maybe a half dozen to a dozen "A"s in a gross. About the same number of tomato stakes. Most customer replacement shafts and shafts for moderately priced cues came out of the B and C blanks. This is where all of my experimental shafts came from too.

Before turning a shaft I would grab a half dozen or dozen one inch blanks, they might be round or square. The reason I went into such detail about the floor of the shop is that now I bounced the candidates off of my floor tip end first. The final test before cutting the shafts. I had to like the sound to turn a shaft.

I favored an eight growth ring shaft with nice straight rings that pinged well above a shaft that was fifteen growth rings on one end and a dozen on the other and failed the ping test. After ping testing some shaft blanks moved down a grade or two. I never sent out a shaft I wouldn't be happy to play with myself. That is a level of quality control you can't get from a big outfit and the best reason in the world to buy from a custom cue builder after doing your homework.

Hu

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Draw cue is due in dallas on tuesday

i will try it out by tuesday ,i am eager to see if it still has the magic

if so you guys will see pictures of amazing draw

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i just realized that Kicken Chicken" thought I was exaggerating about the effect
my cues have on the females

you guys really are suspicious,to the point of being skeptical

ask potter,he will back me up on these things

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i just realized that Kicken Chicken" thought I was exaggerating about the effect
my cues have on the females

you guys really are suspicious,to the point of being skeptical

ask potter,he will back me up on these things

Dean, have you met a "modern feminist" lately? :eek: :D

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The claim made by Dean and comments from the players and makers are real...period

I've worked with Keith Josey for 20 years. The cue is real. His account of the story is real.

He's tried to duplicate the cue and unfortunately has been unsuccessful.

I look forward to anyone with experienced building knowledge examining the cue.

I think the stars were aligned on this cue from materials to construction to dimensions.

It's a unicorn except for the fact it can be proven to exist.

I'm curious to hear what Larry has to say.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12pac

i don't understand the question about feminist,but the answer is I don't think so

my mother in law always thought I was a bum
if that has anything to do with it

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dean...

Just a thought... have you had anyone (other then players/cue makers) test or check out the cue... someone like Dr-Dave as an example...
reason I said him was he does a lot of really good videos in slo-motion & would be very good at dissecting the cue without any harm.

One of the comments about taking the shaft off & using another butt is good idea... also do the reverse... use the butt with another shaft....
trying to make people believe you most of the time impossible... so you will get some to rag on you. BUT... there are many who would really
like to see an in depth study with video done on your cue. I do too.... just my 2 cents & giving you the benefit of the doubt!! :)

So here is hoping one day in near future to seeing this cue in a video...

Last edited: