$30,000 cash to the winning team:
xC7ijBo.png

and might as well document the lovely ball girls for posterity:
z8TfcWq.png

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Bonus Ball has a second season. I'd like to go to Vegas and check it out live some time

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
That's because they (German team) shoot the right ball in the right pocket. At least 2 on the team, and probably all three practiced together. The all American team came into the finals the same way they treat the MC. If I was getting paid for playing a new game that my good play can get me some nice bonus money, I'd be practicing the game every chance I got. Congrats to Ralf, Toastie, and Engel. Johnnyt

fat Albert

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Johnny T breaking news

It has just been learned that Johnny T knows who is buried in the tomb of the unknown Soldier . Just ask him he will tell you he is an expert on everything . If we could buy him for what he knows and sell him for what he thinks he knows we could settle the National Debt .

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Two of our game's legends in the winner's circle. No surprise there. Jesse is a solid young player, too, and I'll bet that his professionalism reached new heights just from being around Hohmann and Souquet, both of whom have outstanding career records in event finals.

Congratulations to all three of them on their fine play.

JC

Coos Cues
Is it a coincidence all three of these guys are physically fit?

And they say pool isn't a sport.

JC

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

JC

Yes, in this case, it's a coincidence.

Let's not confuse this for a player winning seven straight matches in one day on the loser's side to reach the final day of a big field event. That takes stamina and there are very few breaks along the way. Fitness makes a big difference in that scenario.

A Bonus Ball match takes about three hours and each of the six players involved get about 30 minutes of air time per match. The Minnesota team had two days of rest after their semifinal victory over New York. In my opinion, their stamina and fitness were not tested in the least.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one is gonna ask if that was counterfeit money?WTH!
Congrats to Minnesota eventhough that's not who I wanted to win AND I figure it must have been rigged some kind of way.Thank you Bonus Ball and hope to see the next season and many more.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

JC

What's not a coincidence is that the team consisted of two superstars of straight pool. Hohmann is, in my view, the best straight pooler of this generation and Souquet won the US Open 14.1 in 2000. In addition, just a couple of weeks ago, Ralf won the high run prize at the Derby City 14.1 event with a 178.

I've long contended that 14.1 skills translate well to bonus ball.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all these great European players, it's amazing that Europe does not have many, if any at all, pool tournaments that pay a decent amount. I don't get it.

Another example of American pros having to fight for left-over crumbs and share what few opportunities there are on American soil in a dwindling American pool industry.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
With all these great European players, it's amazing that Europe does not have many, if any at all, pool tournaments that pay a decent amount. I don't get it.

Another example of American pros having to fight for left-over crumbs and share what few opportunities there are on American soil in a dwindling American pool industry.

World Pool Masters, played in England in the autumn, has a first prize of 20,000 and the World Cup of Pool, played in the summer in England, has a first prize of 60,000 to be split evenly between the two members of the winning team. The Mosconi Cup, in England, this year offers 20,000 to each member of the winning team. Eurotour first prizes are, in memory serves, typically in the 6,000-8,000 range.

That said, I agree with your premise that there are shockingly few good paydays available in Europe.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Pool Masters, played in England in the autumn, has a first prize of 20,000 and the World Cup of Pool, played in the summer in England, has a first prize of 60,000 to be split evenly between the two members of the winning team. The Mosconi Cup, in England, this year offers 20,000 to each member of the winning team. Eurotour first prizes are, in memory serves, typically in the 6,000-8,000 range.

That said, I agree with your premise that there are shockingly few good paydays available in Europe.

It would be interesting to see how many Americans compete in those so-called "Euro events" compared to how many Euros compete in American pool competitions.

Maybe there *is* good reason why Great Britain is toying with the idea of leaving the European Union. It seems like some countries are putting in all the effort while other countries ride on their shirttails and enjoy the benefits.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Maybe there *is* good reason why Great Britain is toying with the idea of leaving the European Union. It seems like some countries are putting in all the effort while other countries ride on their shirttails and enjoy the benefits.

Not meaning to divert this thread from its intended subject, but the European Union is going through the exact same issues that tested America in the aftermath of the Revolutionary War. The tug of war over the establishment of the Federal Reserve Bank underscores the problem. Alexander Hamilton saw the benefits of pooling the debts of the states from the Revolutionary War into one national debt. Some states would get the best of it, others the worst, but America would establish the international creditworthiness that would be a foundation on which it would build its future. Others, like Jefferson, saw it as very unfair. As we know, the cohesiveness of the union of states would be tested to the max in our country's first century of existence.

... and how about those Minnesota Outlaws!

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not meaning to divert this thread from its intended subject, but the European Union is going through the exact same issues that tested America in the aftermath of the Revolutionary War. The tug of war over the establishment of the Federal Reserve Bank underscores the problem. Alexander Hamilton saw the benefits of pooling the debts of the states from the Revolutionary War into one national debt. Some states would get the best of it, others the worst, but America would establish the international creditworthiness that would be a foundation on which it would build its future. Others, like Jefferson, saw it as very unfair. As we know, the cohesiveness of the union of states would be tested to the max in our countries first century of existence.

... and how about those Minnesota Outlaws!

Actually, the problems the European Union suffers from today could be blamed on Germany's not accepting the responsibility of doing something about the looming deflation facing Europe as a whole. Germany is flourishing while Greece and other countries struggle. In fact, the European Union just might be on the verge of their own Great Depression any day now, while Germany stands by and watches.

Just like the pool world, Germany seems to come out on top, yet they don't put very much effort into contributions, as much as they could -- and should.

Cute name, "Minnesota Outlaws," consisting of two Germans.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Cute name, "Minnesota Outlaws," consisting of two Germans.

Yeah, and impeccably mannered Hohmann and Souquet hardly qualify as outlaws. Perhaps Jesse is the team's outlaw.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and impeccably mannered Hohmann and Souquet hardly qualify as outlaws. Perhaps Jesse is the team's outlaw.

Well, they are certainly no Robin Hoods. They must be enjoying the riches while the rest of the pool world struggles to survive. Germany must be proud.

Billiard Congress of America recognizes players of all nationalities. About damn time Germany does something for pool on a global scale.