A HUSTLER MEETS AN ARTIST, from Sports Illustrated 6/27/1977

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OMG, this is classic! I confess I've never seen this before. It was shot up in Aspen at Blair Key's place. He invited me up there but I was busy running a poolroom at the time. Now I wish I had gone.

All there guys were friends of mine! They are of my generation. I thought Jimmy did a good job as the emcee and handled the commentary well also. Nice to hear a young Danny and Larry Hubbart in the booth with him. Larry was the always the smartest guy in the room, literally.

All these guys were all-stars of pool back then. All great players and Sigel the best of the bunch. So much fun for me to watch this match and listen to my old buddies talk. Thanks for posting.

I see this and realize that it's time for me to finally move on. I retired as a TD three years ago but I still keep trying to hang on in the pool world. Sometimes I find myself thinking about putting together one more tournament or doing some more commentary, and then I think that it's time for the next generation to do their thing and keep this great game alive and pertinent.
Thought you might dig this JH.

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best in room banter I was ever witness to was Larry & Keith going back and forth playing, drinking and lying. Truly a pair for the ages and a rare breed of men.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best in room banter I was ever witness to was Larry & Keith going back and forth playing, drinking and lying. Truly a pair for the ages and a rare breed of men.

The first time I ever saw Keith cry tears was when he would talk to Larry the last few weeks of his life. Keith loved him like family. Larry took Keith under his wing when Keith was a teenager. The two of them used to really put on a show in the pool room when they were in action.

The very first time I met Keith, he was with Larry. We met at the Capital City Classic in Maryland. The tournament ended, and most of the players left town, on to the next pool event, but Keith was detained, ending up in Baltimore. He had nothing but the clothes on his back. Marcus Chamat had to put up his visa to get Keith a hotel room, which was a real dump next door to a pool room. The pool room is cool, however, with action galore every single night. It was beautiful.

Keith and I ended up staying together, became a couple. A month or two later, we drove up to Chelmesford, Massachusetts, to a Joss tournament at Country Club. Larry Lisciotti was there and playing some salamander. He saw Keith and me walk in and came over to us. Larry was feeling no pain and instantly made me feel comfortable, as I felt like I was in uncharted waters at that time going to these pool tournaments on the road, outside of my locale.

Larry looked at me and said, "So you two are still together. That's great." He looked down at my chest and said, "Nice rack." Then he returned to his game that he was engaged in and shot his next shot. Hahahaha! That was Larry, always cutting up.

What a weekend that was! Keith and Larry both ended up gambling, long-rail banks with The Russian. The whole joint was watching their action games, while a handful of spectators were in the next room sweating the semifinals and finals of the event.

Larry sure was one of a kind. I miss him too.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The first time I ever saw Keith cry tears was when he would talk to Larry the last few weeks of his life. Keith loved him like family. Larry took Keith under his wing when Keith was a teenager. The two of them used to really put on a show in the pool room when they were in action.

The very first time I met Keith, he was with Larry. We met at the Capital City Classic in Maryland. The tournament ended, and most of the players left town, on to the next pool event, but Keith was detained, ending up in Baltimore. He had nothing but the clothes on his back. Marcus Chamat had to put up his visa to get Keith a hotel room, which was a real dump next door to a pool room. The pool room is cool, however, with action galore every single night. It was beautiful.

Keith and I ended up staying together, became a couple. A month or two later, we drove up to Chelmesford, Massachusetts, to a Joss tournament at Country Club. Larry Lisciotti was there and playing some salamander. He saw Keith and me walk in and came over to us. Larry was feeling no pain and instantly made me feel comfortable, as I felt like I was in uncharted waters at that time going to these pool tournaments on the road, outside of my locale.

Larry looked at me and said, "So you two are still together. That's great." He looked down at my chest and said, "Nice rack." Then he returned to his game that he was engaged in and shot his next shot. Hahahaha! That was Larry, always cutting up.

What a weekend that was! Keith and Larry both ended up gambling, long-rail banks with The Russian. The whole joint was watching their action games, while a handful of spectators were in the next room sweating the semifinals and finals of the event.

Larry sure was one of a kind. I miss him too.

So when is the Earthquake biography being released? A good writer could turn the above story into a chapter in and of itself. I bet you got thousands of them. Come on JAM, dust off the old typewriter and get busy!:thumbup: