Table identification and advice.

WVJaybird

Registered
Hi,
I just made an Ebay purchase of what was advertised as a Gold Crown II table. Once I got the table home and went through all the parts, I'm not so sure. I think I may have screwed up on what I thought was a good deal.

The slate looks like it's in good shape, at least, but that's about all it's got going for it. The tops of the rails look like someone took a hammer to them. The ball storage box, that I've seen on every GC, is completely missing. The oem table skirts have been replaced with makeshift boards and non-oem corner brackets.

I definitely didn't do my homework on this one and I let Ebay fever get the best of me. So, I'm looking for some advice here: what is the best way forward?

-Do I have a GC II?
-Should I try to build my own ball storage box and buy a grill from classicbillards.com?
-Is it possible to buy new skirts?
-Should I look at a GC V conversion kit from Brunswick since I need the skirts and ball box?

Thanks for the help.

rr8ZFKI.jpg

95BkVGC.jpg

epeUxOi.jpg

69QNgay.jpg

Tldx12u.jpg

vFnIFVu.jpg

NDPR3jJ.jpg

lJ1DFR0.jpg

oR9j5I8.jpg

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a Gold Crown I...it looks to have good bones. Lots of work though considering what your rail work and blinds will cost, so if it were mine I think I would go the GC V conversion route. I saw a thread on here about a room that converted all their tables and it was sweet.
I think with that kit you can even get it with pro cut pockets. Refinish the pedestals and stretcher to the color of your liking and clean and polish the feet and you will have a great table.

Last edited:

WVJaybird

Registered
That is a Gold Crown I...it looks to have good bones. Lots of work though considering what your rail work and blinds will cost, so if it were mine I think I would go the GC V conversion route. I saw a thread on here about a room that converted all their tables and it was sweet.
I think with that kit you can even get it with pro cut pockets. Refinish the pedestals and stretcher to the color of your liking and clean and polish the feet and you will have a great table.

OK, It has bronze adjustable feet, but the original finish of the pedestals and stretcher is painted white. That's what had me confused...If it was a GC II, I was expecting the original finish to be rosewood.

What is the appeal of pro cut pockets? Are the pockets on the GC I that much bigger than ones found on your average bar pool table?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, It has bronze adjustable feet, but the original finish of the pedestals and stretcher is painted white. That's what had me confused...If it was a GC II, I was expecting the original finish to be rosewood.

What is the appeal of pro cut pockets? Are the pockets on the GC I that much bigger than ones found on your average bar pool table?

Not really much difference in a GC I and II, the original white paint for the pedestals and stretcher is GC I. GC II's are very rare, only made for a couple of years in the mid 70s.

The pro cut pockets have 4 1/2" corners with 5" sides, no shims, just a longer subrail. The stock GC 1 has around 5" corners and 5-1/2" sides. Pro cut is the way to go IMHO.

EDIT: I think Brunswick just calls the GC's with pro cut rails "Tournament Edition". Not sure if the kit will have the new rail design like the GC VI, but if you have a choice go with the GC VI rails. I do believe those have laminated ash and oak structure like the Diamond rails. They should do much better at aging than the standard poplar core rails. The performance should be a little better as well.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really much difference in a GC I and II, the original white paint for the pedestals and stretcher is GC I. GC II's are very rare, only made for a couple of years in the mid 70s.

The pro cut pockets have 4 1/2" corners with 5" sides, no shims, just a longer subrail. The stock GC 1 has around 5" corners and 5-1/2" sides. Pro cut is the way to go IMHO.

EDIT: I think Brunswick just calls the GC's with pro cut rails "Tournament Edition". Not sure if the kit will have the new rail design like the GC VI, but if you have a choice go with the GC VI rails. I do believe those have laminated ash and oak structure like the Diamond rails. They should do much better at aging than the standard poplar core rails. The performance should be a little better as well.
IIRC Bruns. started offering the "Tournament" version on the GC5's. I agree on the 4 1/2 corners and 5" sides. Tough without being silly.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As others have stated, it looks to be a GC1. If it were me, I'd powder coat the pocket castings, feet and rail trim Cardinal Industries 80% Gloss Metallic Chrome. It is about as close as you are going to get to the original look of anodized aluminum or a satin nickel finish (my feet were cast steel, nickel plated). Anodizing is very expensive. It cost me almost $400 to have the extruded aluminum rail trim polished and anodized but it does look sweet. As for the aprons, if you have any wood working skill, you can most likely fabricate the aprons yourself; finding them is going to me tough. Here are some pics showing the powder and the rail trim.

Before:
48445501481_13cf73e678_h.jpg

48445501616_0992f68572_h.jpg

After:
48651198542_37092c59b3_h.jpg

Powder Color:
48554880997_51df225d7c_h.jpg

48554737536_b46b202dae_h.jpg

Finished Castings and Rail Trim:
48733178961_b1d28ff8f5_h.jpg

48732849703_6384e6d883_h.jpg

If you are interested, I've got a thread going detailing the restoration of my GC1 a buddy (@pocket) and I found in a local bowling alley. There were two, actually. He got the other.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=497624

Best of luck on your project and please keep the updates coming!

WVJaybird

Registered
rexus31

Thank you for the link to your thread! That is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish with this table.

However, not having the skirts or the ball storage box is really disheartening plus the fact that the rail tops need new Formica. I think I could build a new box, if I had the dimensions, but that still leaves me without the skirts or the hardware to attach them and the rail tops to be replaced and reworked.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rexus31

Thank you for the link to your thread! That is exactly what I was hoping to accomplish with this table.

However, not having the skirts or the ball storage box is really disheartening plus the fact that the rail tops need new Formica. I think I could build a new box, if I had the dimensions, but that still leaves me without the skirts or the hardware to attach them and the rail tops to be replaced and reworked.

Awesome, man! I'm looking forward to your progress! Here are a few resources for you for Gold Crown parts. It looks like you need a Ball Tray, Aprons and Plastic Skirts. A skilled cabinet maker should be able to remove and replace your formica. I believe there are a few threads on AZB regarding this.

Classic Billiards
Ken
410-256-8388
www.classicbilliards.net

Pool Table Magic
Mark
860-627-8494
From another thread, "He has the plastic aprons, with hardware in very good condition...
He has a large inventory of GC parts..."

Trent McRitchie
trentfromtoledo on AZB
419-491-7476
He sold a set of skirts to a friend of mine.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Awesome, man! I'm looking forward to your progress! Here are a few resources for you for Gold Crown parts. It looks like you need a Ball Tray, Aprons and Plastic Skirts. A skilled cabinet maker should be able to remove and replace your formica. I believe there are a few threads on AZB regarding this.

Classic Billiards
Ken
410-256-8388
www.classicbilliards.net

Pool Table Magic
Mark
860-627-8494
From another thread, "He has the plastic aprons, with hardware in very good condition...
He has a large inventory of GC parts..."

Trent McRitchie
trentfromtoledo on AZB
419-491-7476
He sold a set of skirts to a friend of mine.

I have a set of aprons and a ball storage box. Shipping the aprons is gonna be $$$$$$$, most likely would have to freight them. As for the formica : any good counter top/ cabinet shop should be able to remove the old and put on new formica, I recommend using something like Solicore formica, it is the same color all the way through, most formica is brown under the top layer. Let me know if I can help.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of aprons and a ball storage box. Shipping the aprons is gonna be $$$$$$$, most likely would have to freight them. As for the formica : any good counter top/ cabinet shop should be able to remove the old and put on new formica, I recommend using something like Solicore formica, it is the same color all the way through, most formica is brown under the top layer. Let me know if I can help.

Trent from Toledo

He’s in business!!!

What’s the going rate for a set of aprons, Trent? I’m considering searching for a set for my light vs. fabricating my own. I’d prefer and 8’ set so the long aprons don’t have to be cut.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
He’s in business!!!

What’s the going rate for a set of aprons, Trent? I’m considering searching for a set for my light vs. fabricating my own. I’d prefer and 8’ set so the long aprons don’t have to be cut.

I have not even thought about the cost. Any input? i only have a set of 9'.

Trent from Toledo

WVJaybird

Registered
I have a set of aprons and a ball storage box. Shipping the aprons is gonna be $$$$$$$, most likely would have to freight them.

This is awesome! Please let me know what you want for them. Toledo is about 5 hours from my house, I'd be willing to drive it, if you are willing to sell them.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is awesome! Please let me know what you want for them. Toledo is about 5 hours from my house, I'd be willing to drive it, if you are willing to sell them.

Throw away what you bought, far better off just looking for another GC, the cost and headaches for what you already bought is going to cost way more than just buying another complete table.

WVJaybird

Registered
Throw away what you bought, far better off just looking for another GC, the cost and headaches for what you already bought is going to cost way more than just buying another complete table.

That's fair.

I messed up buying this table. I'm into for 500 bucks. I've kicked myself enough, plus I have to hear it from my wife.

If I can't source the aprons and ball box, or it's too much money and the conversion kit is too expensive as well....

I'll put a new paint job on it and new felt and enjoy it as it is, big pockets and all. But there's no way I'm just going to toss this thing in the trash, I'm going to make the best out of what I have.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's fair.

I messed up buying this table. I'm into for 500 bucks. I've kicked myself enough, plus I have to hear it from my wife.

If I can't source the aprons and ball box, or it's too much money and the conversion kit is too expensive as well....

I'll put a new paint job on it and new felt and enjoy it as it is, big pockets and all. But there's no way I'm just going to toss this thing in the trash, I'm going to make the best out of what I have.

You're not in all that deep. If you can source the aprons and the ball tray from Trent for a nominal price and pick them up, I'd go for it. Have you taken any of your rails to a cabinet maker yet for an estimate? I seem to recall reading in a thread someone paid $250 to have theirs done but I could be waaaay off.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You're not in all that deep. If you can source the aprons and the ball tray from Trent for a nominal price and pick them up, I'd go for it. Have you taken any of your rails to a cabinet maker yet for an estimate? I seem to recall reading in a thread someone paid $250 to have theirs donw but I could be waaaay off.

I just passed on buying 6 Gold Crown 3's for $2,000, straight out of a pool hall that closed down. The person who bought them over a year ago paid $1,000 each, only to find out a year later he wasted his money because Gold Crowns are just not in demand much anymore. I already have GC's in storage that I'm sitting on for the time being. The point is, there's plenty of GC's for sale that ARE complete, and not a pile of garbage for less than a thousand dollars, but hey, if a person wants to waste their time and money, who am I to tell them otherwise.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just passed on buying 6 Gold Crown 3's for $2,000, straight out of a pool hall that closed down. The person who bought them over a year ago paid $1,000 each, only to find out a year later he wasted his money because Gold Crowns are just not in demand much anymore. I already have GC's in storage that I'm sitting on for the time being. The point is, there's plenty of GC's for sale that ARE complete, and not a pile of garbage for less than a thousand dollars, but hey, if a person wants to waste their time and money, who am I to tell them otherwise.

All valid points!