What happened to the OB 136 cue?

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
It seems that the OB 136 model cue is all but impossible to find. I was wondering why.
  • Was it just amazingly beautiful that it simply sold out everywhere?
  • Was the stick intentionally a very limited run?
  • Was there a recall or halt in production?

Does anyone know? I was thinking about buying one and then all of a sudden, boom, nowhere to be found.

Thanx! -Z-

ob136.jpg

Last edited:

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've had two of em pre-ordered before they're released date. But they got delayed about 1-2 years and I contact OB and ask what happened, they told me this design is too hard to get perfect at and they kept redoing the cue until they got it perfect so the quantities are limited. But I think they decided to stop making the OB136.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Last time I talked to Royce about these. He was having unforeseen problems and was looking to go in a different direction!

Larry

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I've had two of em pre-ordered before they're released date. But they got delayed about 1-2 years and I contact OB and ask what happened, they told me this design is too hard to get perfect at and they kept redoing the cue until they got it perfect so the quantities are limited. But I think they decided to stop making the OB136.

At some point they marked the cue as discontinued and stopped taking new orders on it. But a friend of mine did order one early on and it his order was delayed numerous times but he did get the cue. It does exist LOL. Very nice looking cue.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Wow if they really couldnt do this design that really makes me wander what kind of
cue maker is OB cues. I mean i seen many custom cue makers do this design and do it
very well.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Wow if they really couldn't do this design that really makes me wander what kind of cue maker is OB cues. I mean i seen many custom cue makers do this design and do it very well.

Some info came my way to the effect that the cues became discontinued because

OB couldn't produce the volume of the cues consistent with his extremely high

standard of quality. Look at the design, it's pretty intricate. My take away is if OB

cancels a particular model cue because the process can't live up to his own standard of quality,

then that's exactly the type of cue maker I want to purchase a cue from.

That's just me. -Z-

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB could make the cue, that`s not the problem.
Being able to make it, and do it in a cost effective way, that`s what they had problems with...
For a production cue, it`s a fairly complicated design.
I don`t remember what OB charged for the cue, but I seem to remember that it was on the right side of $1000, I guess they did not want to ventyre into custom cue price territory, and decided to pull the plug.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
OB could make the cue, that`s not the problem.
Being able to make it, and do it in a cost effective way, that`s what they had problems with...
For a production cue, it`s a fairly complicated design.
I don`t remember what OB charged for the cue, but I seem to remember that it was on the right side of $1000, I guess they did not want to ventyre into custom cue price territory, and decided to pull the plug.

In July of last year (2015) I paid $787.00 to Seyberts for one....

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They definitely exist, I sold mine to another Azb member a month or so ago. Nice cue.

Bought yours via another AZ member. This model may have been made as a production cue line but really nothing production about it. High quality. I wonder how many were actually made?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I don`t remember what OB charged for the cue, but I seem to remember that it was on the right side of $1000 ...

From looking at several web sites, it appears that the OB "retail" price was $1,119. Terrific looking cue.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I loved the design on the cue but knew from having a handful of other OB cues
I found the finish on everyone was a thin coating, which deterred me from taking the plunge.Love there business practices, just not there finishes.

poolhustler47

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB-136 for Sale! Like New!

Here's a pic of mine, I just sold.

Attachments

• IMG_3916.jpg
    IMG_3916.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling their "blem" and "second" quality cues/shafts must be a new thing. Royce did not want them sold.

I was given a blem shaft by Royce several years back to make up for an issue with an OB shaft I bought.

He sent me a pristine shaft as replacement, and a blem shaft, towel, joint protectors and I think some other stuff, as an apology. He requested that I never sell the blem shaft (had one small sugar mark near the joint), as he did not want his 'seconds' out there.

I sold the pristine shaft, and kept the blem one. Took 3rd in a tourney last night with it matter of fact. :thumbup:

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Selling their "blem" and "second" quality cues/shafts must be a new thing. Royce did not want them sold.

I was given a blem shaft by Royce several years back to make up for an issue with an OB shaft I bought.

He sent me a pristine shaft as replacement, and a blem shaft, towel, joint protectors and I think some other stuff, as an apology. He requested that I never sell the blem shaft (had one small sugar mark near the joint), as he did not want his 'seconds' out there.

I sold the pristine shaft, and kept the blem one. Took 3rd in a tourney last night with it matter of fact. :thumbup:

My only experience was after Royce passed away. I'll just say that I tried really hard to end up with a somewhat reasonable OB cue and eventually just gave up and returned the whole thing.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My only experience was after Royce passed away. I'll just say that I tried really hard to end up with a somewhat reasonable OB cue and eventually just gave up and returned the whole thing.

I have heard a lot of really negative things the last couple of years about OB, but its mostly just hearsay so I wont repeat it.

Here was my issue.... :thumbup:

44505848961_e0feaf835b_c.jpg