amateur question, trading pacing for skill

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If there was a magic bullet, would you trade becoming extremely slow to improve?

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Really depends on the individual and the shot at hand. Personally, I miss a lot when I overthink a shot. But I can also miss when I go too fast, thinking a shot is easy, then getting sloppy.

Rule # 1: There are no easy shots in pool.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never.
Nobody would play you.
I would rather play like poo and be
able to find a spot and a game, than
play like Shane at a snails pace.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there was a magic bullet, would you trade becoming extremely slow to improve?

Now, that might depend on the degree of improvement. If the improvement was just a little, or even quite a bit, say up to a good pro level -- no. I would not be willing to aggravate opponents, other players in the event, tournament directors, room owners, room employees, fans, sponsors, etc. just to reach that level of play.

But what if the improvement was huge? Suppose it was all the way up to world champion level? Suppose I could become the reincarnation of Frank "The Inexorable Snail" Taberski? Nah, not even then, ........... er ............ let me think about that.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Now, that might depend on the degree of improvement. If the improvement was just a little, or even quite a bit, say up to a good pro level -- no. I would not be willing to aggravate opponents, other players in the event, tournament directors, room owners, room employees, fans, sponsors, etc. just to reach that level of play.

But what if the improvement was huge? Suppose it was all the way up to world champion level? Suppose I could become the reincarnation of Frank "The Inexorable Snail" Taberski? Nah, not even then, ........... er ............ let me think about that.
At five minutes per ball, it would only take you a little over two days to run 627 balls.:boring:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm going to dissent here and say yes, but with some qualification.

There are three types of slow:

Slow Conceptualization
There are those who spend a long time on choosing their shot. These players take too long to analyze the table. To write them off as overthinking is silly, for many of them are just a bit deficient in the process of organizing their thoughts in evaluating the table. Many such players have gone on to be great players, with the great Ralf Souquet a good example.

Slow Pre-Shot Routine
Some, once they have made their shot choice, waste a lot of time before they get over the cue ball. Some of them go on to be great players, with the great Jeremy Jones a good example.

Slow Shot Execution
Others get over the cue ball and seem to take forever before they fire. These players usually pay a price for this habit, which often evidences uncertainty about the choice they have made.

I think a player should be willing to become a slower player if they need more time in their conceptualization. Over time, their ability to evaluate the table will speed up again as their table assessment skills improve.

I do not think a player should be willing to embrace a lethargic pre-shot routine or become super slow over the cue ball, because this, far too often, will prove an unbreakable habit that will alienate both fans and opponents.

Taking more time to plan is OK, but once the decision is made, get on with it. At least that's my philosophy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Taking more time to plan is OK, but once the decision is made, get on with it. At least that's my philosophy.
I don't mind if my one pocket opponent takes five minutes to play a shot from my safety -- he is probably in deep trouble. One minute to figure out how to get from the 7 to the 8 at nine ball? Not acceptable.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey, that averaged less than half a minute per shot for Ebdon -- a speedster.
Peter scored 12 points in over five minutes while taking only 5 shots. Red, brown, red, pink, red (missed). You have to include the time for the 17 times he asked the ref to clean a ball.:shocked2:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't mind if my one pocket opponent takes five minutes to play a shot from my safety -- he is probably in deep trouble. One minute to figure out how to get from the 7 to the 8 at nine ball? Not acceptable.

Agreed, but I'm really talking about taking a bit more time in shot selection, not a lot more time.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Peter scored 12 points in over five minutes while taking only 5 shots. Red, brown, red, pink, red (missed). You have to include the time for the 17 times he asked the ref to clean a ball.:shocked2:

Ugh, mindo -- he was playing snooker, of course (I didn't really watch him). That's not so good -- a bit over a minute per shot. But at least that will cut my 627 down to about 11 hours. Now will you watch?

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Now will you watch?
No.:p

There was one player around here who got a reputation as very slow. Nobody wanted to draw him. I timed him once and he came in at something like 44 seconds per shot at nine ball. It was painful to watch. I'm afraid that a minute per ball at 14.1 would lead to someone's death.:(

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depends on the trade off.

To be more realistic:

Players that move slowly on purpose tend to not play very well or at least, they don't play at their best while doing so.

On the other hand, players that move slow but, they don't do it on purpose, well, their not usually hurting their performance because that's the way their brain is wired.

I think if people would stop worrying about how fast or slow they play and just use whatever speed they feel most comfortable with, they would be more out to reach higher levels of play because:

Muscle memory doesn't think about anything. And since Muscle memory doesn't think, well, it doesn't worry about speed.

Muscle memory does what it's taught to do.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope, would not trade for minor improvements. Of course it would depend on HOW MUCH improvement.

A minute a shot to play world class might be worth it..... :wink2:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to dissent here and say yes, but with some qualification.

There are three types of slow:

Slow Conceptualization

There are those who spend a long time on choosing their shot. These players take too long to analyze the table. To write them off as overthinking is silly, for many of them are just a bit deficient in the process of organizing their thoughts in evaluating the table. Many such players have gone on to be great players, with the great Ralf Souquet a good example.

Slow Pre-Shot Routine

Some, once they have made their shot choice, waste a lot of time before they get over the cue ball. Some of them go on to be great players, with the great Jeremy Jones a good example.

Slow Shot Execution

Others get over the cue ball and seem to take forever before they fire. These players usually pay a price for this habit, which often evidences uncertainty about the choice they have made.

I think a player should be willing to become a slower player if they need more time in their conceptualization. Over time, their ability to evaluate the table will speed up again as their table assessment skills improve.

I do not think a player should be willing to embrace a lethargic pre-shot routine or become super slow over the cue ball, because this, far too often, will prove an unbreakable habit that will alienate both fans and opponents.

Taking more time to plan is OK, but once the decision is made, get on with it. At least that's my philosophy.
Great post.

In an effort to be the hardo of the day, evidence is a noun, evinces is the verb you wanted to use.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk