I made a vision center alignment board

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLGgfrNavg

I created this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-2q5rEhfI4

It looks like my vision center is the same with both eyes open or just my right eye open.

I'll try this tomorrow on a real pool table.

Very good info.

NOW. I hope this puts a rest to the dominant eye theory and how it relates to pool.
Some people on here refuse to admit that dominant eye is related to pool aiming; and
some of these people are instructing pool players on how to play this game!

This aiming device will show how the dominant eye will always "see more" of the alignment information in the shot.

Case closed.

Last edited:

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Are there any 'specs' to this that make a difference? For instance, does the step down have to be a certain height, or do the lines need to be a certain length etc?

I'd be interested in throwing one together to check my center - doing some offhand 'look through the hole' tests it seems I'm right handed and left eye dominant - but I've always lined up cue under center.

Thanks for sharing

b

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
For a quick way, find any book about 1 1/2 or so inches thick, and a piece of 8x11 printer paper. Draw a line down the length of the paper, fold it over in half, then back again the thickness of your book, and place it over the book.

ProZack

Zack's "On the Road" Cue Repair
Silver Member
Difference Between Pool and Snooker

Beautiful Snooker Presentation.. Old guy in a White Shirt for Pool.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Based on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNLGgfrNavg

I created this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-2q5rEhfI4

It looks like my vision center is the same with both eyes open or just my right eye open.

I'll try this tomorrow on a real pool table.
I created my own version of this also with a single block with a paper bent and taped over it extending in front with a dark/tick line printed from a computer.

In my experience (with both me and several different students), the device is not very helpful except to identify someone with an extremely dominant eye like you.

The best way I have found to determine one's personal "vision center" is to use the procedures and drills on the vision center resource page.

Thank you for sharing,
Dave

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
For a quick way, find any book about 1 1/2 or so inches thick, and a piece of 8x11 printer paper. Draw a line down the length of the paper, fold it over in half, then back again the thickness of your book, and place it over the book.

I used the line tool in publisher, printed it out and wow. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,410
Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and we'll continue to present correct information on why dominant eye is not the end all be all for aiming. Your dominant eye receives visual information 10/1000ths of a second before your submissive eye...far too quick for the eyes not to work together. Also dominant eye only works within hands reach (and most pool shots are beyond hands reach). Past that and the eyes triangulate. If you "see" a straight line with the cue under your dominant eye, put it there. If not, put it where you do see a straight line, whether that's under your dominant eye or not. More importantly, you must have an accurate and repeatable stroke or it won't matter where you perceive a straight line...your aiming will be hit or miss. You can choose to believe...or not.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Very good info.

NOW. I hope this puts a rest to the dominant eye theory and how it relates to pool.
Some people on here refuse to admit that dominant eye is related to pool aiming; and

This aiming device will show how the dominant eye will always "see more" of the alignment information in the shot.

Case closed.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I made one of these boards myself a couple years ago.

Stuart Bingham just won the World Snooker Championships. The cue he uses, Sight Right Cue, has a miniature version of this built into the cue.

View attachment 383977

What's your thoughts on how helpful the line board is?

Also, it seams to me the cue would need to be exactly in the right position (not twisted) for it to work.
Maybe combining the gravity cue with the Sight Right Cue would help keep it in the correct position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNU7pQnwaI

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member

Attachments

• Board_1613.jpg
    Board_1613.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,434
Last edited:

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
I created this from some 65# 8.5x11 paper I had in the drawer.
Took me about 10 minutes.
Don't need a heavy book or boards.

Attachments

• 20150510_220818.jpg
    20150510_220818.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,258
  • 20150510_220724.jpg
    20150510_220724.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 20150510_220648.jpg
    20150510_220648.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,075

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Very good info.

Case closed.

Not by a long shot........

You have no way to know how anyone's eyes work or don't work together but your own...... So we just all assue everyone must see like we do.... nope...

I have convergence issues where my eyes do not cross.. I cannot direct both Fovea to focus on the same point and the closer things get it gets worse but considering the pool table is not overly large dominance and strong positioning is crucial for me to play......

I also have an astigmatism in my right eye that uncorrected causes my object perpection at distance to be off....

They have a whole bunch of people who went to school and are making a living as eye doctors... Because not everyone got a perfect set of peepers and if you popped out with a perfect set Father Time and Murphy's Law will do their very best to take them away from you as the years go by...

I do like the board idea tho... And was actually looking at a way to make a small scale version like is on the sight rite cues... May have some time this week =D

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how helpful. It will aid in telling one which eye is dominant...........you'll see only one straight line when closing the non-dominant eye.

I guess if the board (the 2 staggered lines), with the aid of a laser, was set up exactly down the shot line for a particular shot (any shot, straight-in or cut), one might know that their head (or vision center) is in the perfect position for that shot (if they use the board correctly.....only see one line with the dominant eye). And that would only work if one likes to always aim down the shot line for all shots, including cut shots and when applying side spin (vs always aiming down the stick line or CP2CP line).

Here's a pic of the one I made.

View attachment 383989

DTL
see Scott Lee's comments too

DTL try this using the line board.

From a standing position line your body up on the shot line board as your eyes see a straight line.
Now bend down and get in the shooting stance. Is the line still appear to be straight?

Good idea and good work.

John

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member

Attachments

• VisualAlignmentTemplate.jpg
    VisualAlignmentTemplate.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 422
Last edited: