BXA setup, 1212 or 1616 tool holders?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of my carbide toolholders are 1212, now that I got a BXA toolpost I can use 1616 wich is chunkier and I guess that means less vibration and higher accuracy.
But is it worth swapping all my 1212's for 1616?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are cutting 48 to 60 Rc steel , or hanging the tool 50mm from the holder, then you will see a difference
Otherwise you will not notice anything.
The only advantage of the 1616 tooling is in most cases, it has the range of tools most used in industry as a standard sized insert. This will give you a greater range of insert geometry types, like the TNMG1604 range or the DCMT11 range or the CCMT09 or the VNMG16.
Neil

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are cutting 48 to 60 Rc steel , or hanging the tool 50mm from the holder, then you will see a difference
Otherwise you will not notice anything.
The only advantage of the 1616 tooling is in most cases, it has the range of tools most used in industry as a standard sized insert. This will give you a greater range of insert geometry types, like the TNMG1604 range or the DCMT11 range or the CCMT09 or the VNMG16.
Neil

Thanks, that`s what I thought. I`ll keep working with my 1212`s and if I need new ones I`ll go for 1616`s