GCIV Rail Threaded Plate Upgrade

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Is there any available threaded plates that have more threads that will fit into the cavity of a GCIV Rail without major surgery?

What would be the thickest plate that would fit?
Can the opening be enlarged so a thicker plate will fit inside?

My rails are in storage so I can’t inspect them.

I would love to have RKC modify my rails to StaFast threaded inserts, but....

Attachments

• 29501D4E-1B27-4659-9D64-FE1871B8B3E3.jpeg
    29501D4E-1B27-4659-9D64-FE1871B8B3E3.jpeg
    18.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 9E60CC9C-AE9B-4354-82F8-2EE576970DC8.jpeg
    9E60CC9C-AE9B-4354-82F8-2EE576970DC8.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
"I Love You, Man!" lol, had to quote you again!!

From the posts I have read of yours, you sound like you are totally capable of installing the inserts yourself. It does require you to take off all the cushions and remove all the nut plates. Then drill out the holes and install the hardwood inserts. Not hard at all.

Trent from Toledo

I have been ordering these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/90192a156

Last edited:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
How do I know where is the correct place, since the current hole center moves with the floating plate?

Why do the the plates “float”?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
How do I know where is the correct place, since the current hole center moves?

Why do the current plates “float”?

You drill out the hole that is already there.It really is a no brainer. I have done it many times.

Trent:thumbup:

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
OK, thanks.

I figured as much.
I just don’t have the Rail in front of me.

I love McMaster Carr.
Tinkers paradise.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
The StaFast is .787” long.

The McMaster Carr is 1.181"
Is this too long?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
OK, thanks.

I figured as much.
I just don’t have the Rail in front of me.

I love McMaster Carr.
Tinkers paradise.

The stafast part number is SK381630HD but, when I checked my accounts previous orders it says:

This item is no longer available for purchase. :frown:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Stafast has them, just not online. You have to be a business to order them. I just ordered a bunch. If you need some I can spare enough for your table when you are ready. :grin:

Trent from Toledo

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Do they fit GC2's?

Yes and no. You would have to remove your cushions to get the plates out, drill out the holes to the right size and then install the hardwood inserts in the holes. Pretty easy, but, would you want to go through all of this? The nut plates work just fine. I usually only install the inserts if the nut plate is stripped out. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Yes and no. You would have to remove your cushions to get the plates out, drill out the holes to the right size and then install the hardwood inserts in the holes. Pretty easy, but, would you want to go through all of this? The nut plates work just fine. I usually only install the inserts if the nut plate is stripped out. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

Sure, before you install Superspeed on these.:thumbup:

JZMechanix

Silver Member
Personally, I will always recommend to have the floating nut plates removed. It only takes one cross threaded bolt/nut plate that has to be dug out and repaired to change your mind!

1.JPG

2.JPG

If you're replacing the nut plates, make sure you fill the void in the subrail with a piece of hard wood so the insert has more wood to thread into.

5.JPG

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Personally, I will always recommend to have the floating nut plates removed. It only takes one cross threaded bolt/nut plate that has to be dug out and repaired to change your mind!

If you're replacing the nut plates, make sure you fill the void in the subrail with a piece of hard wood so the insert has more wood to thread into.

Awesome work as per usual! Good to see you on here.
I was just thinkin about ya the other day when all this came up, you know McMaster Carr charges DOUBLE for the good hardwood inserts? You can get them from Stafast if you call the order in. Are you set up with them?

Trent:thumbup:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Sweet Box from Stafast!

Sweet Boxful from Stafast!:thumbup:

Attachments

• 80fd2f271e965d700a12849ff33c11d2892c2356-1.jpg
    80fd2f271e965d700a12849ff33c11d2892c2356-1.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 153