Stripped threads on a mali shaft

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
Is there a easy and inexpensive way to fix stripped threads on a mali shaft. It will thread all the way down but will not tighten. Or do I just need to buy another shaft? Its a old mali 3/8 10 with the wood to wood. No nylon insert. Thanks for the info.

Shane

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hi Shane,
Most definitely this can be fixed.
There is nothing complicated about the repair.
I suggest the installation of a phenolic insert.
You'll never have this problem again on this shaft
and you'll have the added benefit of an improved 'hit'.

I can perform this task for you or you can have the CM of your choice do this. If you are interested in having me do the work, PM please.

tsp&b

Silver Member
There are several ways

There are several different way to fix your problem. And you willl probably get a lot of differing opinions as to which is best. some but not all of you options are: You can have it drilled out and have a wood plug inserted the drill and tap. You can have it drilled out and install a nylon (or G10 insert or whatever other material you prefer). If the female threads are not completely gone you can coat them with super glue or epoxy and retap. At any rate the first thing you might want to do (IMHO) is to find a qualified cue repair shop. Thanks for your post and let us know how it turns out. :)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Hi Shane,
Most definitely this can be fixed.
There is nothing complicated about the repair.
I suggest the installation of a phenolic insert.
You'll never have this problem again on this shaft
and you'll have the added benefit of an improved 'hit'.

I can perform this task for you or you can have the CM of your choice do this. If you are interested in having me do the work, PM please.

I second this choice, I also install Phenoilc inserts in all shafts that I build for for my cues.

I also agree that it certainly will improve the cue hits!!!!!

Good Post KJ.