Does wanting a POS make me look weird?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's another thread about, "If you could have only one?" And lot's of threads about what great cue would you like?

But I'm lost. I have some high end production cues. And a real nice custom SP with some fab wood. But the cue I keep coming back to because it really fits me is a low end Predator SP. OK, I'm willing to accept that. No more cues. Except one...

50 years ago I was a poor kid just starting to play. The only cue that I could afford that was straight was a blue anodized aluminum cue. I took it everywhere, it sounded weird but stayed straight. I think I even wrapped it with some white cotton string.

I stopped playing for 40 years and only started again when I retired. But I sure would like another aluminum stick, just because.

Not all of us want a 'Bushka.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Its all relative to what you can afford. I was the same way, I started with an old Meucci Original with a Predator shaft and even when I could afford the high end cues I still went back to the Meucci.

The saying "Its the Indian, not the arrow" always come to my mind with threads like these.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There's another thread about, "If you could have only one?" And lot's of threads about what great cue would you like?

But I'm lost. I have some high end production cues. And a real nice custom SP with some fab wood. But the cue I keep coming back to because it really fits me is a low end Predator SP. OK, I'm willing to accept that. No more cues. Except one...

50 years ago I was a poor kid just starting to play. The only cue that I could afford that was straight was a blue anodized aluminum cue. I took it everywhere, it sounded weird but stayed straight. I think I even wrapped it with some white cotton string.

I stopped playing for 40 years and only started again when I retired. But I sure would like another aluminum stick, just because.

I think the Predator sneaky pete is the best hitting of all the Predators.
But forget about aluminum cues...if an aluminum cue ever wins a major....
...I'll eat my cue collection.....and I got a lot.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim...I bet you could find one of those aluminum cues somewhere. Somebody has to have one sitting in a closet somewhere! Hope you're doing well! Say hi to your lovely bride...who is no doubt busy creating some wonderful smells in your kitchen! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Hey, I have one of those aluminum cues, its even blue. It must be from about the mid to late 70s.:thumbup:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Scott, I'll tell her you said hello. I hoped to meet up with Randy this weekend but he stayed west this year.

Whoa, you other guys don't understand. I don't want to play with the stick, just hang it on the wall over my table to remind my of my youth. I mean I really had no money. But it's what I made do with. I'm fed up with expensive cues when I found the Predator lets me do Scott's mother drills better.

Jodacus

Shoot...don't talk
Silver Member
Those aluminum cues are still around. I saw someone
playing with one within the last couple of weeks. I don't
remember who or where but I did notice the cue.

It may take a while but keep your eyes (and ears) open
and you may be able to score one. Good Luck!

Joe

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Kind of funny but not unreasonable to think like that.

The last Sunday of every month, we have a fun Doubles Tourney at one of the neighborhood bars. Mostly just friendly regulars.

During my few years of playing in it, I have seen some of the guys come in with the most God awful pawn shop cues.

Anything from a cheap Beer promo cue to one guy who came in with a little Back Gammon size case that held his 5 piece cue. Which I will add that he was very proud of his find and that he still played a very decent game with it.

League pool several years ago, there was a girl who was a kick butt player. Her cue, one of those walking stick cues.

Of the 30 or so bar cues waiting to be converted that I have, minus the good Duffs, I will eventually take one of the worst ones, either put a decent shaft on it or maybe even a laminated shaft and see how that works out.

The cue itself would be worthless but what the people won't know, is that it will have a very decent shaft on it and probably worth 10 times the amount of the butt.

Like Pool Shark said, "Its the Indian, not the arrow", which I have found out many times to be true.

Of all my cues, I am currently using a $180 EBay Meucci, that I always seem to come back to, and another cheap EBay cue that I redid. 57" and plays exceptionally well on a bar table.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rayjay, thanks. I'm going to start following e-bay and post in want ad. The shaft of that cue is the exact color of the cue I had. I wonder where the butt came from? I want a matching piece. Mine was from around 66-67.